Advice for stripped threads upstream oxygen sensor exhaust manifold

Old August 7th 18, 10:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder

Default Advice for stripped threads upstream oxygen sensor exhaust manifold

On 6 Aug 2018 20:54:54 GMT, rbowman wrote:

>> It's insanely easy to refuel a vehicle at home (if you have the space).

> I've been known to refuel the bikes but since I pass three gas stations
> on the way to work I'm not about to start my own.

I drive once a week, if that.
I go to Costco once a month, if that.
Costco has Tier 1 gas at the best price and no lines nowadays.
Costco is 40 miles away, but the gas stations are almost as far.
I have the room for storage - most people do not.
I have the height for fast flow - most people do not.
I have a dozen gas cans - most people do not.
I have four hoses - most people do not.
I have the modified funnel - most people do not.

In short, most people don't have the same situation that I have.
I've only been refueling for about 20 years.

Before that, I did what you do so I know the difference.

It's like mounting tires at home (which is so easy, it's not funny).
Anything who hasn't done it doesn't know what they're talking about.

Refueling is so trivially easy, that it's easier than going to the gas
station, IMHO. But I have the system down to a science where most people
probably are afraid of siphoning or they'd try to pour the gas using those
useless spouts, for example.

So they don't know what they're talking about.
I do.
Old August 8th 18, 02:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman

On 08/07/2018 03:23 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> It's like mounting tires at home (which is so easy, it's not funny).
> Anything who hasn't done it doesn't know what they're talking about.

I'll give you a call the next time I reshoe the DR650. I don't know why
but getting the bead to seat on the Kenda front was a bitch last time
around. Dunlop D606's just fall into place.

Old August 8th 18, 04:37 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder

On 7 Aug 2018 18:06:34 GMT, rbowman wrote:

>> It's like mounting tires at home (which is so easy, it's not funny).
>> Anything who hasn't done it doesn't know what they're talking about.

> I'll give you a call the next time I reshoe the DR650. I don't know why
> but getting the bead to seat on the Kenda front was a bitch last time
> around. Dunlop D606's just fall into place.

I did my K1200 all the time before the crash ... where tires don't seem to
last long on those big German bikes...
Old August 8th 18, 04:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder

On 7 Aug 2018 19:53:34 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> At least with tubed tires the bead will seat sooner or later.

Seating the bead is trivial.

There are 6 beads to deal with, only one of which is tactically difficult
on sedan & SUV tires (I've never done anything bigger than 17 inches).

Old Ti
1. Breaking the top bead
2. Breaking the bottom bead
3. Removing the top bead
4. Removing the bottom bead
New Ti
5. Seating the bottom bead
6. Seating the top bead

The only hard one is the last bead (requires knowledge of the drop center).

The first bead is hard only if you don't have a good bead breaker.
(For years, I used the bead-breaker attachment instead of a separate bead
breaker. I'll never recommend that attachment except for puny 15 inch tires
or smaller - which most of mine are not - because SUV tires were difficult
using that attachment - but easy using the stand-alone bead breaker).

The rest of the beads are so easy as to not even be worth mentioning.

Sealing works in seconds if you remove the valve core and screw on the
compressor gun. It pops once or thrice and it's done before you get to
fifty psi. Then you lower the air pressure to whatever you like and you're
done seating the thing. It's that easy.

I've done about 20 tires (I stopped counting once I broke even).
I'm doing four more on the Mitsubishi (I only did the one that blew out).

The 14-inch Mitsubishi tire was so easy as to be not even worth noting.

Anyone who complains that doing a tire is too hard will have to get the
question from me as to whether they've actually done it, because it's so
easy that it's not funny (if you have the tools that I have).

Old August 8th 18, 06:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman

On 08/07/2018 09:59 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> Seating the bead is trivial.

Whatever you say.