Next MX-5 Uncovered

Old August 12th 10, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_2_]

Default Next MX-5 Uncovered

On 2010-08-10 19:06:12 -0400, "Chris D'Agnolo" > said:

>> I did however forget one wish for a new Miata. They need to add more lightness.

> Alright, I'll give you a pass on the 'add more lightness' comment since
> English is probably at least your second language. Anybody else would
> have 'gotten it' :-) cd

Add more lightness. That is a direct quote from the late Colin Chapman,
is it not?

Old August 12th 10, 05:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

On 2010-08-12, Don Q <Don> wrote:
> On 2010-08-10 19:06:12 -0400, "Chris D'Agnolo" > said:
>

>>> I did however forget one wish for a new Miata. They need to add more lightness.

>> Alright, I'll give you a pass on the 'add more lightness' comment since
>> English is probably at least your second language. Anybody else would
>> have 'gotten it' :-) cd

> Add more lightness. That is a direct quote from the late Colin Chapman,
> is it not?

I'm not sure where it came from originally, but it's a rather widely
used phrase in the automotive, motorcycle, and aeronautics fields:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22add+more+lightness%22

The only direct attribution I can find is to Willian Stout, the
designer of the Ford Trimotor back in the 1920s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Bushnell_Stout

The Colin Chapman quote appars to be "To add speed, add lightness".

In any case, "adding lightness" is pretty idiomatic.

--
Grant
Old August 12th 10, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
T.J. Higgins

>Add more lightness. That is a direct quote from the late Colin Chapman,
>is it not?

I always liked this one: "A Lotus is a kit car bolted together
for ease of shipping." Definitely not a Chapman quote!

--
TJH

tjhiggin.at.hiwaay.dot.net
Old August 14th 10, 06:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Frank Berger" > wrote in message > When I was
shopping there was a nice low-mileage Titanium one for sale at a
> good price by a soldier shipping out to Iraq. It was more money, of
> course, than the MSM. Maybe I shouldda....

Don't start that shudda stuff or I send Pat up there to buy that hotrod from
you right now ;-)

Seriously though, they are totally different animals, I'd like to keep the
Miata and have the Speed 6 for the wife so, when I have to drive the 'big
car' it could be a blast too!

cd
99BBB

Old August 14th 10, 06:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"T.J. Higgins" > wrote in message
> >Add more lightness. That is a direct quote from the late Colin Chapman,
>>is it not?

> I always liked this one: "A Lotus is a kit car bolted together
> for ease of shipping." Definitely not a Chapman quote!
>
> --
> TJH
>
> tjhiggin.at.hiwaay.dot.net

Back in the day, that probably made allot of sense! I'm proud of what Lotus
has done and how they've done it. If a British car company (are they still a
British car company?) can rise like a Phoenix than so can American ones!
Focus boys, focus!

Chris
99BBB

Old August 14th 10, 12:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

On 8/14/2010 12:04 AM, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "Frank Berger" > wrote in message > When I
> was shopping there was a nice low-mileage Titanium one for sale at a
>> good price by a soldier shipping out to Iraq. It was more money, of
>> course, than the MSM. Maybe I shouldda....
>>

> Don't start that shudda stuff or I send Pat up there to buy that hotrod
> from you right now ;-)
>
> Seriously though, they are totally different animals, I'd like to keep
> the Miata and have the Speed 6 for the wife so, when I have to drive the
> 'big car' it could be a blast too!
>
> cd
> 99BBB

Stranger things have happened. I just need to earn a few thousand more a
year, no problem.

I guess that Frank would need to be ready to sell as well. MSM's are not
that hard to find, but Frank's car is in nice shape and is being
well-cared for now, and it already has most of the aftermarket stuff
done that I would consider if I owned one.

I'm assuming that he will fix the gauge problem if it has not been done
already. If I could buy the car and put my SSR Competitions on it, I
think it would be very cool. I also like the color a lot.

There you go Frank, now you won't want to sell. ;-)

I do wear a size 9 EE shoe (wide), so the changes that he makes to the
pedal for increased room would benefit me as well.

Pat

Old August 14th 10, 05:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> If a British car company (are they still a
> British car company?) can rise like a Phoenix than so can American ones!
> Focus boys, focus!

But the Mazda3-based Euro Focus, please, not the old US model.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old August 16th 10, 01:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tim M.[_2_]

On Aug 5, 8:34*pm, "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
> "barry" > wrote in message >> *1) Hideosly ugly
>
> front-end.
>

> >> *2) Overly busy design details that look like they were collected
> >> * * from random people in the lunchroom.

> >> *3) Huge ugly wheels.

> >>WTH is a "design language"?

> >http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive...agare-concept/

> >Thanks for the reminder Barry! I have been quite impressed by some of
> >Mazda's concept vehicles but, probably LEAST of all this one! *I agree with
> >Lanny, somebody's run out of ideas ;-) Actually, I don't think they have I
> >just think they've taken a very wrong turn with this concept like, maybe
> >Chris Bangle WAS right after all!

> Naaaaaaaaah!
>
> Come on Mazda, light / clean / simple / beautiful / purposeful and quit
> playing marketing games!

It's sad to see car styling falling down into the same hideous hole
that motorcycle styling has over the past 10-15 years. I'd like to
blame Chris Bangle, but I'm afraid that it goes waaaaaay deeper than
that.

I mean, just compare the Ducati 916/996/998/748 to the 999 and even
the 1098 and Streetfighter; leaving the woefully wretched Multistrada
and the dirtbike-on-steroids Hypermotard (which has a meaner nickname
that I won't repeat) to get an idea of how far down the state of the
art (?) in motorcycle styling has descended.

Now, every car has to have convoluted headlights that stretch at least
halfway back to the a-piller, and "flamed" "surface excitement" sheet
metal surfaces to "facet" the reflected light.

Ick.

It's almost as if all the lessons learned from the Datsun F10 and the
Nissan Pulsar NX and the myriad other Japanese hideosities (is that a
word?) of the mid-70's have not been forgotten, but have been actively
dredged up and used as examples to update for the 20-teens.

I mean, does Acura even have a car or truck that you can look at
without cringing? And in the late 80's to early 1990's, every vehicle
they built was a thing of lithe, graceful, supple beauty.

The only hope I have comes from the words of a friend of mine's
daughter, a design student at Pratt in NYC, who told me at a cookout
earlier this month that the young men she had met who were studying
industrial design with an eye towards carrers in the automotive arena
were all rebelling against what they called "transformer" bikes and
that their design studies remind her of her Dad's Ducati 996SPS -
smooth, flowing, classic, simple lines.

Maybe, just maybe, there *is* hope for the furute.
Old August 16th 10, 01:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tim M.[_2_]

On Aug 10, 7:06*pm, "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
> "Bruno, Copenhagen - Denmark"
>
> *Still I know sometimes we something at first thinking "What
>
> > were they thinking/smoking" only to a little later realize it was actually
> > a good thing. One example would be the flame-design by BMW

> Alright Bruno, you had me but then you start talking about Chris Bangle's
> designs growing on you and you loose me again ;-) Actually, BMW continued to
> water down CB's 'flame cut' designs as people continued to resist them. I
> would say that his designs were a low point for BMW and they still have some
> ways to go to get back from that nightmare. cd

Amen. My sentiments exactly.
Old August 17th 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Tim M." > wrote in message
On Aug 5, 8:34 pm, "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
> "barry" > wrote in message >> 1) Hideosly ugly

I mean, does Acura even have a car or truck that you can look at
without cringing? And in the late 80's to early 1990's, every vehicle
they built was a thing of lithe, graceful, supple beauty.

TIM, THANK YOU FAR SAYING IT FOR ME! ACURA HAS TOTALLY LOST IT'S WAY!
CD

The only hope I have comes from the words of a friend of mine's
daughter, a design student at Pratt in NYC, who told me at a cookout
earlier this month that the young men she had met who were studying
industrial design with an eye towards carrers in the automotive arena
were all rebelling against what they called "transformer" bikes and
that their design studies remind her of her Dad's Ducati 996SPS -
smooth, flowing, classic, simple lines.

Maybe, just maybe, there *is* hope for the furute.

I HOPE SHE'S RIGHT. THERE ARE ALWAYS HIGH POINTS AND I GUESS THAT MEANS
THERE HAVE TO BE LOW POINTS BUT MAN, WE'VE GONE LOWER THAN LOW WITH THE
CURRENT 'CORPORATE LOOK' PRINCIPLE. THAT'S GOTTA GO!

CD
99BBB