Bridgestone RE-11 short review

Old May 2nd 10, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

Default Bridgestone RE-11 short review

I finally decided to replace the 5 year old T1Rs--only half worn at 12k
miles, but too hard to trust anymore. Considering the car only sees
~1200 miles/year now, I ordered a set of RE-11s from Tire Rack.

Very impressive. They are heavier than the T1R, but are quiet and ride
almost as well, at least while new. Yes, I can feel the weight, but 3
lb. is no big deal (205/50-15). They feel quite different than the T1R,
much like the Azenis 215 but with more grip and a more progressive
behavior (and a better ride). They slide so benignly it's hard to
imagine a decent driver getting into trouble with them. Burnouts? With
stock power, forget it, they're way too sticky.

Oh, yeah: they look bitchen.

People are winning autocrosses at the national level on these tires.
What's surprising is how civilized they are in mundane driving. If you
want maximum summer grip, put 3000 miles or less on your Miata annually,
and never drive in snow, the RE-11 seems like a no-brainer. The price is
even reasonable, $117 for the 205/50-15. They'll soon be available in
14" as well.

BTW, I chose them over the Dunlop Star Spec due to reports on their
noise level and ride. Both tires seem to be at the top of the
grip/behavior list.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old May 3rd 10, 05:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
>I finally decided to replace the 5 year old T1Rs--only half worn at 12k
> miles, but too hard to trust anymore. Considering the car only sees
> ~1200 miles/year now, I ordered a set of RE-11s from Tire Rack.
>
> Very impressive. They are heavier than the T1R, but are quiet and ride
> almost as well, at least while new. Yes, I can feel the weight, but 3
> lb. is no big deal (205/50-15). They feel quite different than the T1R,
> much like the Azenis 215 but with more grip and a more progressive
> behavior (and a better ride). They slide so benignly it's hard to
> imagine a decent driver getting into trouble with them. Burnouts? With
> stock power, forget it, they're way too sticky.
>
> Oh, yeah: they look bitchen.
>
> People are winning autocrosses at the national level on these tires.
> What's surprising is how civilized they are in mundane driving. If you
> want maximum summer grip, put 3000 miles or less on your Miata annually,
> and never drive in snow, the RE-11 seems like a no-brainer. The price is
> even reasonable, $117 for the 205/50-15. They'll soon be available in
> 14" as well.
>
> BTW, I chose them over the Dunlop Star Spec due to reports on their
> noise level and ride. Both tires seem to be at the top of the
> grip/behavior list.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

Good to know! I was going to ask you to keep us posted on how they do as the
mileage stacks up but I see that you don't drive the car enough for that any
more! You need to start taking a few Miata trips brother!

;-)
Chris
99BBB

Old May 3rd 10, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> You need to start taking a few Miata trips brother!

Nah, we've already been everywhere we'd want to go in a Miata, in most
cases at least twice. It's retired from road trip duty. Driving all
night through Kansas with the top down isn't as much fun as it used to
be.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old May 3rd 10, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> I finally decided to replace the 5 year old T1Rs--only half worn at 12k
> miles, but too hard to trust anymore. Considering the car only sees
> ~1200 miles/year now, I ordered a set of RE-11s from Tire Rack.
>
> Very impressive. They are heavier than the T1R, but are quiet and ride
> almost as well, at least while new. Yes, I can feel the weight, but 3
> lb. is no big deal (205/50-15). They feel quite different than the T1R,
> much like the Azenis 215 but with more grip and a more progressive
> behavior (and a better ride). They slide so benignly it's hard to
> imagine a decent driver getting into trouble with them. Burnouts? With
> stock power, forget it, they're way too sticky.
>
> Oh, yeah: they look bitchen.
>
> People are winning autocrosses at the national level on these tires.
> What's surprising is how civilized they are in mundane driving. If you
> want maximum summer grip, put 3000 miles or less on your Miata annually,
> and never drive in snow, the RE-11 seems like a no-brainer. The price is
> even reasonable, $117 for the 205/50-15. They'll soon be available in
> 14" as well.
>
> BTW, I chose them over the Dunlop Star Spec due to reports on their
> noise level and ride. Both tires seem to be at the top of the
> grip/behavior list.

Thank ye sir, that sounds excellent to me. Did you happen to check the
16 inch sizes?

Regarding 16 inch wheels, what is the "best" tire size for a 16X7 wheel
on the NA miata? I currently have 215/40/16's and was thinking about
taking the profile up a little.

Thanks!

Pat

Old May 4th 10, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message . Driving all
> night through Kansas with the top down isn't as much fun as it used to
> be.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

At what age did this affliction hit you? I just want to be prepared ......
Come to think of it, maybe that's what's got my wife in it's power. That or
the bit-too-firm MSM shocks / springs, not sure.

Chris
99BBB

Old May 4th 10, 05:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> > Driving all night through Kansas with the top down isn't as much
> > fun as it used to be.

> At what age did this affliction hit you?

Har har. Less a matter of age than BTDT, since 1997. Driving across
Kansas is never a fun thing to do; it's worse when you're bored *AND*
uncomfortable.

We've done virtually all the good roads in Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New
Mexico, and Wyoming in the Miata. One trip we hooned all the paved
Divide passes in Colorado in two weeks (plus over a dozen others). We're
finished with long trips for the sake of driving. Plus, the Miata just
won't hold enough camping gear for two weeks.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old May 4th 10, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> Did you happen to check the
> 16 inch sizes?

Of course not. What a silly idea. :-)

Check Tire Rack for yourself, Pat. Use the size calculator at miata.net.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old May 4th 10, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >,
> pws > wrote:
>
>> Did you happen to check the
>> 16 inch sizes?

> Of course not. What a silly idea. :-)
>
> Check Tire Rack for yourself, Pat. Use the size calculator at miata.net.

Hard to be lazy if I do that........

Looks like a 205/45/16 is the way to go at $162.00 a corner.

225/50/16 is another possibility, but it seems just a bit fat for a 7"
wheel unless I am thinking wrong, which is certainly possible.

Pat
Old May 4th 10, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> 225/50/16 is another possibility, but it seems just a bit fat for a 7"
> wheel unless I am thinking wrong, which is certainly possible.

Look at the specs at
<http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ne&tireModel=P
otenza+RE-11>

Recommended rim width is 6-8", and the specs were measured on 7".
Perfect.

How am I supposed to maintain my own reputation for laziness if I do
your research for you?? :-)

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old May 4th 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >,
> pws > wrote:
>
>> 225/50/16 is another possibility, but it seems just a bit fat for a 7"
>> wheel unless I am thinking wrong, which is certainly possible.

> Look at the specs at
> <http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ne&tireModel=P
> otenza+RE-11>
>
> Recommended rim width is 6-8", and the specs were measured on 7".
> Perfect.
>
> How am I supposed to maintain my own reputation for laziness if I do
> your research for you?? :-)

Ahhh yes, I remember now that I had 225/60/14's on my 1978 Datsun 280Z
with 6 inch wide wheels.
That did hang over the edge a bit but not too bad. Like you said, this
fir should be about perfect.

They are a bit cheaper in that size too. Now I just need to finish
coming up with $800.00 or so for tires mounted and balanced and a new
Lanny-alignment.

Pat

Bridgestone to pay Ford $240 million in settlement C. E. White Technology 15 October 17th 05 04:26 PM
Bridgestone Dueler AT's dwk Jeep 2 March 11th 05 11:24 PM
Fuzion tires by bridgestone Raymond Prince Corvette 4 September 19th 04 01:51 AM
BFG A/T or Bridgestone Dueler A/T KrazY 4x4 0 December 15th 03 12:33 AM
BFG A/T or Bridgestone Dueler A/T zippy 4x4 0 December 13th 03 11:38 PM