Newbie

Old July 27th 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default Newbie

miker wrote:

> Naw, I think he just knows a jerk when he sees one.
>
> miker

Welcome to r.a.m.m., TRCSr. ;-)

No matter how badly Davoud was or was not acting while overseas, he
probably could not have given the people there much worse of an
impression of Americans in general than what it actually true.

Pat

Old July 27th 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_2_]

On 2009-07-27, pws > wrote:

> No matter how badly Davoud was or was not acting while
> overseas, he probably could not have given the people there
> much worse of an impression of Americans in general than what
> it actually true.

Well, geez, nobody wants to be judged on the way they really
are. Thats the whole point of having publicists, PR people,
and diplomats.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! The PINK SOCKS were
at ORIGINALLY from 1952!!
Old July 27th 09, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Grant Edwards wrote:

> Well, geez, nobody wants to be judged on the way they really
> are. Thats the whole point of having publicists, PR people,
> and diplomats.

I never thought about it that way. I would not like to be judged by the
way I really am, now that is a scary thought.
This is my nice side on r.a.m.m.

Not saying Davoud isn't a jerk, nor will I defend myself against such a
label.
I am just afraid that he did more to get them prepared for the way it
really is rather than giving any false impressions.

Of course, this assumes that the Davoud has actually been more than 10
miles from his place of birth.

I am not saying he hasn't been overseas in a diplomatic position, but
almost anybody can be almost anybody, online, with a supply of pictures,
a good memory and a decent imagination. ;-)

Pat
Old July 27th 09, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Domagoj Bagaric[_2_]

pws wrote:

> Welcome to r.a.m.m., TRCSr. ;-)

r.a.m.m.m.

rammm!
Old July 27th 09, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_2_]

On 2009-07-27, pws > wrote:

> I am not saying he hasn't been overseas in a diplomatic
> position, but almost anybody can be almost anybody, online,
> with a supply of pictures, a good memory and a decent
> imagination. ;-)

"On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog"

http://www.cartoonbank.com/item/22230

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Is this TERMINAL fun?
at
Old July 27th 09, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

pws > wrote:

> but almost anybody can be almost anybody, online, with a supply of
> pictures, a good memory and a decent imagination. ;-)

True, I'm really Jimmy Hoffa but I use a nym because people keep trying
to find me... <GD&R>

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old July 27th 09, 07:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Davoud[_2_]

Grant Edwards:
> >> I hope you weren't representing my country while behaving like
> >> such a jerk.

Davoud:
> > Now that is funny! May I take it that you don't have a great deal of
> > experience in the U.S. Foreign Service, and in the finer points of
> > conducting foreign affairs in general?

miker:
> Naw, I think he just knows a jerk when he sees one.

I'm not absolutely sure that's it. Firstly, he hasn't "seen" me and he
knows nothing about me. Secondly, he really doesn't know about life in
the Foreign Service, which is another way of saying that he's
commenting on something he knows nothing about. You would never do
that.

And that's why I found his remark to be so funny. That, and the amazing
fact that, by implication, he has led a Christ-like life since birth,
so utterly pure that he has the brass to condemn someone for something
so petty as a traffic citation. At least that's what I must assume; the
alternative is that Mr. Edwards is a hypocrite, and since I don't know
him, I wouldn't call him that. Ignoring a traffic ticket isn't a sin,
even in the so-called Holy Land; just a misdemeanor for non-diplomats
and SOP for diplomats.

I hope Mr. Edwards doesn't lose any sleep over this, but diplomats from
every nation and in every nation are disregarding traffic tickets by
the thousands, every day.

Incidentally, I got a citation once in Asia for I-know-not-what. The
chief of the police station nearest the Embassy was a pal of mine, so I
decided to stop in and say hello and pay the ticket. The entire police
station was aroar with laughter; no one--no one--had ever come in to
pay a fine before and they had no procedure for handling such a
payment. Bribes and extortion, yes. Citations, no.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 27th 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Davoud[_2_]

pws:
> > No matter how badly Davoud was or was not acting while
> > overseas, he probably could not have given the people there
> > much worse of an impression of Americans in general than what
> > it actually true.

Bingo. Ignored traffic citations come way behind untrimmed ear hairs in
their importance in international relations.

Grant Edwards:
> Well, geez, nobody wants to be judged on the way they really
> are. Thats the whole point of having publicists, PR people,
> and diplomats.

You are correct to the extremely narrow limit of your knowledge of the
subject. One of the imperatives that every American diplomat follows is
to present the U.S., its people, its government, its way of life, in
the best possible light. Do you think we go around bragging about bogus
wars and the fact that we are the only country in the civilized world
without national health care!? These things have to have a bit of spin
on them. We may say, for example that the U.S. is making progress in
reducing our infant mortality rate, but we we're not going to blurt out
that we're only #37 in the world in infant mortality, two steps behind
Cuba. Likewise, life expectancy at birth. Do you expect me, as an
advocate for the American Way, to go bragging that we're 45th, behind
Bosnia and Jordan, and more than six years behind the leaders!? I will
proudly say that we have one of the highest literacy rates on Earth. I
will not mention that we are, however, in a tie for 17th place, lagging
behind, among others, Cuba, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan.

As I said, when you talk about diplomats you have no idea what you are
talking about. Stick with what you know and you'll do fine. I'm sure
that you are a smart person, but anyone can look silly if they begin to
pontificate outside their field of expertise.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 27th 09, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker[_2_]

> True, I'm really Jimmy Hoffa but I use a nym because people keep trying
> to find me... <GD&R>

Here, Jimmy, I'd like to present you with this bucket of cement in the best
possible light... your shoelaces will never come untied again!

miker

Old July 28th 09, 12:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
NetMax

On Jul 26, 7:28*pm, Domagoj Bagaric > wrote:
> TRCSr wrote:
> > the group. I hope I can get as much useful information from this
> > group.

> kudos!
>
> well since it's brand spanking new there's only 1 thing you need to know:
>
> 1) top down (and don't forget to put in some gas once in a while)
>
> happy motoring!

It's nice to see the warm welcome TRCSr received. I also just
purchased an NC (GT) with a PRHC (that's faster than saying power
rectractable hardtop). I'm still on my first tank of gas and well
into the process of becoming one with the 6 speed manual. At first
blush, there's really no significant change that I could imagine for
this car, so I would have to agree that it's been well thought out,
having evolved from the already successful NA and NBs, and without too
many marketing gimmicks.

One negative observation (barely a complaint) is the cupholder. The
choices are from bad (in the door where nothing will fit) to worse (in
the centre console and in the way of every shift). My choices seem to
be a) give up my morning coffee, b) buy or build a short insulated cup
which will at the height of the centre console and c) install a
cupholder I can reach (and would not be in the way) like this one:
http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewP...eIndexID=78085

Any insight would be appreciated as I would like to bring my coffee
with me again sometime.

ps: to XS11E, my other 2 seater is an XS1100S ;~)

NetMax

A Newbie Just Saying Hello! alalhp6d[_3_] Chrysler 2 August 12th 08 12:19 AM
Newbie [email protected] Simulators 2 July 6th 07 03:00 PM
newbie in need duffy VW air cooled 5 January 18th 06 05:51 PM
newbie crzybus VW air cooled 29 May 2nd 05 12:13 PM
newbie 4x4 Eddy Long 4x4 3 February 4th 05 04:36 AM