brake and turn signal

Old March 24th 09, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
csdude

Default brake and turn signal

I have a funny one;

'79 cj5:

when I hit the brake pedal, the driver side brake light doesn't come
on.

the driver side turn signal seems to work.

the passenger side turn signal makes both driver and passenger side
(in the back) flash (not in the front)

any real obvious cause for this? like a broken flasher?

thx,

Ron
Old March 24th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeep America #1[_10_]

punk frauds a broken flasher except when the ladies saw his little one
inch wiener they all laughed

Old March 24th 09, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bllsht[_2_]

Keep in mind the brake lights go through the turn signal switch. I'd
be looking real close at the turn signal switch & it's connector &
wiring.

I've also seen strange things happen when the hazzard switch gets
stuck somewhere between all the way on and all the way off. Those old
switches can get sloppy or sticky.

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:08:27 -0700 (PDT), csdude

Old March 24th 09, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
csdude

ok, what's the 'connector' 'block' that is mounted on the steering
column about half way down?

I bumped it off while working on the brake pedal. (I noticed a bunch
of paint on it btw)

Old March 24th 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
csdude

Yup , that seems to be the one

when I push the turn signal handle up (towards the steering wheel),
the brakes don't work, if I push it down (towards the pedals) it does.
Same thing with the turn signal.

looks like a wire gets pinched or so?

Old March 24th 09, 10:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

"csdude" > wrote in message
Yup , that seems to be the one

when I push the turn signal handle up (towards the steering wheel),
the brakes don't work, if I push it down (towards the pedals) it does.
Same thing with the turn signal.

looks like a wire gets pinched or so?

On Mar 24, 12:06 am, bllsht > wrote:
> Keep in mind the brake lights go through the turn signal switch. I'd
> be looking real close at the turn signal switch & it's connector &
> wiring.
>
> I've also seen strange things happen when the hazzard switch gets
> stuck somewhere between all the way on and all the way off. Those old
> switches can get sloppy or sticky.
>
> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:08:27 -0700 (PDT), csdude
>

> > wrote:
> >I have a funny one;

> >'79 cj5:

> >when I hit the brake pedal, the driver side brake light doesn't come
> >on.

> >the driver side turn signal seems to work.

> >the passenger side turn signal makes both driver and passenger side
> >(in the back) flash (not in the front)

> >any real obvious cause for this? like a broken flasher?

> >thx,

> >Ron- Hide quoted text -

If the connector came apart, check to make sure you didn't bend a pin when
you put it back together.

--
Old Crow
'82 FLTC(P) 'Mistress Pearl'

Old March 24th 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 05:00:32 -0500, "Old Crow" >
wrote:

>"csdude" > wrote in message
>Yup , that seems to be the one
>
>when I push the turn signal handle up (towards the steering wheel),
>the brakes don't work, if I push it down (towards the pedals) it does.
>Same thing with the turn signal.
>
>looks like a wire gets pinched or so?

(please don't top post...)

I'd say switch (contacts), not wire pinching. Pinching is almost
always a short (to ground) that will blow a fuse.
Old March 25th 09, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_7_]

If you don't want folks to top post, clean up the post before you hit the
"send" button.

Top or bottom, who cares. :shrug:

----------
"PeterD" > wrote

Old March 25th 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
csdude

On Mar 25, 12:12*pm, "Kate" > wrote:
> If you don't want folks to top post, clean up the post before you hit the
> "send" button.
>
> Top or bottom, who cares. :shrug:

> ----------
> "PeterD" > wrote
> (please don't top post...)
>
> I'd say switch (contacts), not wire pinching. Pinching is almost
> always a short (to ground) that will blow a fuse.

Hi Karen,

Same here, I don't care either way , for decades no one did. Besides
we're Jeep people, we don't always play by the rules, do we?

anyway, I think that after 30 years the turn signal switch probably is
having a little arthritis. the part is relatively cheap, but it's
quite a bit of work to get it into the steering column I believe

Ron
Old April 4th 09, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

"csdude" > wrote in message
>I have a funny one;
>
> '79 cj5:
>
> when I hit the brake pedal, the driver side brake light doesn't come
> on.

Try wiggling the turn signal stalk to see if you can find a sweet spot that
that brings the brake lights back.

I had an '81 CJ5 that had a problem with the turn signal switch that let the
turn signal work properly, but the left side brake light would sometimes
crap out. The brake light and the turn signal use the same filiment, so the
bulb is good and the ground is okay.

> the driver side turn signal seems to work.
>
> the passenger side turn signal makes both driver and passenger side
> (in the back) flash (not in the front)
>
> any real obvious cause for this? like a broken flasher?

Turn signal switch.