Tune-up for a 1996 GT

Old July 12th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ivan. K

Default Tune-up for a 1996 GT

I have a 1996 GT which I acquired second hand in 2002,
and I feel it is time for a comprehensive tune-up
(for one thing, the "check engine" light has stayed
on for a day or so on at least two occasions over the
last two months). I would also like to take this
opportunity to begin to "trick out" this vehicle
with after market parts to increase performance
(similar to the things I see on HorsePower TV).

My Haynes Repair Manual lists a "Major tune-up" as:

Replace the spark plug and coil wires
Replace the spark plugs
Replace the air filter
Replace the PCV valve
Replace the fuel filter
Check the fuel system
Check the charging system

and as far as the first two items, is there a
high performance package/kit that people might
recommend?

How about the E3 spark plugs that I recently saw
advertised on HorsePower TV?

Thank you for your help.

Old July 12th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ivan. K

What do people think about this:

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv8driveshaft.htm

MTI-81514 $89.95

96-98 FORD HARD-CORE Performance WIRE SET (twin coil-pack style only)
* Adds 15 HP and 17 lb.tq to the rear wheels,
up to 15% incresed fuel mileage
* Exceeds O.E.M. specifications and is covered
by a limited lifetime warranty

I wrote:
> I have a 1996 GT which I acquired second hand in 2002,
> and I feel it is time for a comprehensive tune-up
> (for one thing, the "check engine" light has stayed
> on for a day or so on at least two occasions over the
> last two months). I would also like to take this
> opportunity to begin to "trick out" this vehicle
> with after market parts to increase performance
> (similar to the things I see on HorsePower TV).

[...]
Old July 12th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Ivan. K wrote:
> I have a 1996 GT which I acquired second hand in 2002,
> and I feel it is time for a comprehensive tune-up
> (for one thing, the "check engine" light has stayed
> on for a day or so on at least two occasions over the
> last two months). I would also like to take this
> opportunity to begin to "trick out" this vehicle
> with after market parts to increase performance
> (similar to the things I see on HorsePower TV).
>
> My Haynes Repair Manual lists a "Major tune-up" as:
>
> Replace the spark plug and coil wires
> Replace the spark plugs
> Replace the air filter
> Replace the PCV valve
> Replace the fuel filter
> Check the fuel system
> Check the charging system
>
> and as far as the first two items, is there a
> high performance package/kit that people might
> recommend?
>
> How about the E3 spark plugs that I recently saw
> advertised on HorsePower TV?
>
> Thank you for your help.

Your question is a little too general as there are many, many after
market parts available for Mustangs. To help narrow down your options,
how much money can you spend toward parts and labor if you aren't doing
the work yourself?
Old July 12th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ivan. K

Michael Johnson wrote:

> Your question is a little too general as there are many, many after
> market parts available for Mustangs. To help narrow down your options,
> how much money can you spend toward parts and labor if you aren't doing
> the work yourself?

I am not hurting for money and wish to buy quality parts,
but then I am not the sort of guy who wants a DVD player in my
car either.

I found this on the web:

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv8driveshaft.htm

MTI-81514 $89.95

96-98 FORD HARD-CORE Performance WIRE SET (twin coil-pack style only)
* Adds 15 HP and 17 lb.tq to the rear wheels, up
to 15% incresed fuel mileage

which looks bad-ass to me (though then I need to get spark plugs).
For the spark plugs and wires, I could go as high as $300 for
parts alone.

Thanks for the reply.
Old July 12th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Ivan. K wrote:
> Michael Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Your question is a little too general as there are many, many after
>> market parts available for Mustangs. To help narrow down your
>> options, how much money can you spend toward parts and labor if you
>> aren't doing the work yourself?

> I am not hurting for money and wish to buy quality parts,
> but then I am not the sort of guy who wants a DVD player in my
> car either.
>
> I found this on the web:
>
> http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv8driveshaft.htm
>
> MTI-81514 $89.95
>
> 96-98 FORD HARD-CORE Performance WIRE SET (twin coil-pack style only)
> * Adds 15 HP and 17 lb.tq to the rear wheels, up
> to 15% incresed fuel mileage
>
> which looks bad-ass to me (though then I need to get spark plugs).
> For the spark plugs and wires, I could go as high as $300 for
> parts alone.
>

> Thanks for the reply.

First, don't believe any of the hype these manufacturers claim about
horsepower and/or gas mileage increases. The are almost all large
exaggerations or just plain lies. Also, many parts like spark plugs
wires etc. are made to last well over 100,000 mile and beyond.
Unless you have well over 100k miles on the current engine replacing
these items to gain performance is a waste of money, IMO. I don't know
of any spark plugs, wires etc. that increase performance any appreciable
amount over the stock parts.

If you really want to do something that you can feel start by installing
subframe connectors or rear end gears. A set of 3.73 gears will give
IMMEDIATE and very noticeable performance improvements at a cost of
around $400-$500. A set of subframe connectors will greatly tighten up
the chassis and make the car feel more solid, handle better and let more
power get to the rear wheels instead of being wasted flexing the
chassis. These two items done together will put a smile on your face
from ear to ear.

If all you want is to give the engine bay some bling then just pick what
looks good. I'll state this again because it is important to remember,
don't believe ANY of the horsepower claims from the manufacturers. All
they want is your hard earned money and don't mind lying to get it.
Old July 12th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

It is all hype. Unless you current wires are trashed you will NEVER get
an additional 15 hp or 15% improvement in mileage from a set plug wires.
Never believe the claims from these yahoos. All they want is your
money and they will flat out lie to get it.

Old July 13th 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ivan K.

Michael Johnson wrote:
> It is all hype. Unless you current wires are trashed you will NEVER get
> an additional 15 hp or 15% improvement in mileage from a set plug wires.
> Never believe the claims from these yahoos. All they want is your
> money and they will flat out lie to get it.

Sure I understood that there is exaggeration involved
in this advertisements. The fact remains however that
the "check engine" light has stayed on for a day or so
on at least three occasions over the last two months
(it just happened again this afternoon) and I believe
this means I should go a head and get a major tune-up.
Also, I acquired the car second hand and who knows
how well the previous owners took care of it.
Also, there are currently 70,000 miles on the
care.

Should I just get stock Ford spark plugs, plug wires and
coil wires, or are there some after market parts
that might give be a bit better performance
and/or fuel efficiency?

Those guys on HorsePower TV recently did
such an upgrade to a vehicle and there before
and after Dyno tests did show some improvement.
I always felt the people on that show were
sincere, but maybe I am just naive.

Thank you for your input, Mr. Johnson. I will
_definitely_ look into the subframe connectors and/or
rear end gears in the next year or so.
Old July 13th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Ivan K. wrote:
> Michael Johnson wrote:
>> It is all hype. Unless you current wires are trashed you will NEVER
>> get an additional 15 hp or 15% improvement in mileage from a set plug
>> wires. Never believe the claims from these yahoos. All they want is
>> your money and they will flat out lie to get it.

> Sure I understood that there is exaggeration involved
> in this advertisements. The fact remains however that
> the "check engine" light has stayed on for a day or so
> on at least three occasions over the last two months
> (it just happened again this afternoon) and I believe
> this means I should go a head and get a major tune-up.
> Also, I acquired the car second hand and who knows
> how well the previous owners took care of it.
> Also, there are currently 70,000 miles on the
> care.

You should pull the computer codes and determine the real cause of the
problem. Just throwing parts at it isn't a wise use of your money. My
guess is there is an emissions problem that can be caused by any number
of parts and most of them are not tuneup related.

> Should I just get stock Ford spark plugs, plug wires and
> coil wires, or are there some after market parts
> that might give be a bit better performance
> and/or fuel efficiency?

Pull the computer codes and start from there. Otherwise you are just
spending money and throwing parts at the problem in the hope it goes
away. If your gas mileage is typical for that year and model of car
then replacement of plugs, wires etc. isn't needed, IMO.

> Those guys on HorsePower TV recently did
> such an upgrade to a vehicle and there before
> and after Dyno tests did show some improvement.
> I always felt the people on that show were
> sincere, but maybe I am just naive.

Ever notice how those shows always slide in the names of the parts
suppliers? They do this because they get paid to do it. Anything can
be manipulated to produce a desired result. Like I said, don't blindly
believe anything from someone trying to make a profit from you.

> Thank you for your input, Mr. Johnson. I will
> _definitely_ look into the subframe connectors and/or
> rear end gears in the next year or so.

If you really want a performance improvement spend your money on
something that will guarantee results like gear swaps etc.
Old July 13th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
jonezzzman[_2_]

Michael Johnson wrote:
> Ivan K. wrote:
>> Michael Johnson wrote:
>>> It is all hype. Unless you current wires are trashed you will NEVER
>>> get an additional 15 hp or 15% improvement in mileage from a set plug
>>> wires. Never believe the claims from these yahoos. All they want is
>>> your money and they will flat out lie to get it.

>> Sure I understood that there is exaggeration involved
>> in this advertisements. The fact remains however that
>> the "check engine" light has stayed on for a day or so
>> on at least three occasions over the last two months
>> (it just happened again this afternoon) and I believe
>> this means I should go a head and get a major tune-up.
>> Also, I acquired the car second hand and who knows
>> how well the previous owners took care of it.
>> Also, there are currently 70,000 miles on the
>> care.

> You should pull the computer codes and determine the real cause of the
> problem. Just throwing parts at it isn't a wise use of your money. My
> guess is there is an emissions problem that can be caused by any number
> of parts and most of them are not tuneup related.
>
>> Should I just get stock Ford spark plugs, plug wires and
>> coil wires, or are there some after market parts
>> that might give be a bit better performance
>> and/or fuel efficiency?

> Pull the computer codes and start from there. Otherwise you are just
> spending money and throwing parts at the problem in the hope it goes
> away. If your gas mileage is typical for that year and model of car
> then replacement of plugs, wires etc. isn't needed, IMO.
>
>> Those guys on HorsePower TV recently did
>> such an upgrade to a vehicle and there before
>> and after Dyno tests did show some improvement.
>> I always felt the people on that show were
>> sincere, but maybe I am just naive.

> Ever notice how those shows always slide in the names of the parts
> suppliers? They do this because they get paid to do it. Anything can
> be manipulated to produce a desired result. Like I said, don't blindly
> believe anything from someone trying to make a profit from you.
>
>> Thank you for your input, Mr. Johnson. I will
>> _definitely_ look into the subframe connectors and/or
>> rear end gears in the next year or so.

> If you really want a performance improvement spend your money on
> something that will guarantee results like gear swaps etc.

yes...I agree with Michael 100%. I've spent hundreds on guessing which
part might be bad. Finally learned my lesson. If you don't have a code
reader, I'd recommend going to a smog shop and ask the smog tech to pull
the trouble codes. Even if they charge you for a failed smog, its worth
the money. Might be something simple like an O2 sensor or something
along those lines.
Old July 13th 08, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ivan K.

jonezzzman wrote:

> yes...I agree with Michael 100%. I've spent hundreds on guessing which
> part might be bad. Finally learned my lesson. If you don't have a code
> reader, I'd recommend going to a smog shop and ask the smog tech to pull
> the trouble codes. Even if they charge you for a failed smog, its worth
> the money. Might be something simple like an O2 sensor or something
> along those lines.

Thank you for the input! Ok, is there a particular
code reader that people recommend (for a 1996 GT?) Just
doing a quick google search, I found:

Equus 3100 Innova Diagnostic Code Reader
with Memory Backup for OBDII

List price is $192 but it seems that it can be purchased for
for $100 at some sites.

anyone in STL that could help tune my SB? barnhart_pinball VW air cooled 7 June 28th 08 05:18 AM
90K Tune Up [email protected] Honda 1 July 17th 07 01:27 AM
40k mile tune up Brian[_8_] Audi 8 September 27th 06 05:37 PM
96 XLT tune-up Randy Pavatte Ford Explorer 2 August 4th 05 07:13 PM
Tune up complete Shag VW air cooled 1 May 16th 05 12:40 PM