H6024??

Old February 3rd 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Default H6024??

Last night I found I had a broken headlight on the 1992 MX5. On my way
home I stopped at a couple of places to get a new one and found
AutoZone was out and their computer showed their other nearby stores
were also out.

I headed across the street to Walmart and found one there, they had
only two.

I wonder if the H6024 going to become a scarce item? Apparently nobody
uses the old 7" round dual beam headlight any more...

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old February 3rd 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article > ,
XS11E > wrote:

> I wonder if the H6024 going to become a scarce item? Apparently nobody
> uses the old 7" round dual beam headlight any more...

I think I still have a couple somewhere in the basement, removed when I
installed Hella E-codes about 10 years ago. I can't recommend
enthusiastically enough that you do the same.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old February 3rd 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> In article > ,
> XS11E > wrote:
>
>> I wonder if the H6024 going to become a scarce item? Apparently
>> nobody uses the old 7" round dual beam headlight any more...

> I think I still have a couple somewhere in the basement, removed
> when I installed Hella E-codes about 10 years ago. I can't
> recommend enthusiastically enough that you do the same.

As long as WallyWorld has them I'm OK and I'm completely satisfied with
the existing lights which have several advantages over the Hella, one
being that they don't cost anything since they're already there! That
appeals to my basic cheapness!

Old February 3rd 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

pws > wrote:

> to spend the extra money

Let's not talk dirty now, OK? "Spend <snip> money" is not an
acceptable option!

I'm saving all my extra money to give to the IRS!

I'm putting it off as long as possible but sooner or later, sometime
between now and April 15th, they're gonna GET ME! :-(

Old February 4th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bruno

pws wrote:

> You mention the 3 worst letters than can be strung together in English,
> then go on to speak of the worst day of the year.
>
> Shame on you. ;-)

LOL - you guys do not know how easy you have it :-)

Over here in the tax capital of the world I dream of the US taxes (and
the weather since we had an depressing 27 hours of sunlight this January).

Kind regards

Bruno, Denmark
Old February 4th 08, 06:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

i think the h6024 will be around for a long time. lots of cars use them.
20+ years of jeeps for instance. many volkswagons, and so on. they may not
be readily available in retail stores forever but most certainly by mail
order. then again the hella or like retrofit lens/bulb combination and the
like are always and option. like xs11e i am frugal and didn't want to pay
for hella but didn't want the cheap plastic junk sold on ebay either. i
found a set of glass lens that were discussed in a volkswagon group. they
are made by empi, model 9311, and are h4 conversion kit lamps similar to the
hella. they are probably not as good as hella but they are a vast
improvement over the sealed beams that came with the car. these lens are
completely flat on the front and so look a bit more modern than the original
sealed beams. they do have a visible horizontal cut off like hella
suggesting that there really is some engineering in the cutting of the lens.
they only cost me $25 for the pair including the bulbs. i see them
currently on email for about $40 and they are probably available elsewhere.
i recommend them to anyone that doesn't want to pay double (triple?) for the
hellas. however the hella are probably dot approved and i can't recall if
these are or not.

Old February 4th 08, 07:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

fwiw if you search ebay for "empi h4" you will get a short list of things
available in ebay stores. the one offered by ispwest vw parts has great
photos of this item.

Old February 4th 08, 10:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Eric Baber

"pws" > wrote in message

<snip>

> I am not familiar with the health care system in your country, but I am
> guessing, (hoping?), that the tooth that I need to have crowned soon would
> not cost you over USD $800.00 out of your pocket like it will with me.

Here in the UK - where health services supposedly are free - glasses and
dental work are getting filthily expensive. There's a good reason why
medical tourism is on the increase - from the UK, but especially from
countries like the US. In case you're not familiar with the concept it's
where you go to, say, Thailand or India for two weeks, get first-class
medical treatment in top-notch hospitals for a day or two or however long
whatever it is you're having done takes, and then you hang around on the
beach for a week or two to recover. The whole package often ends up
significantly cheaper than the medical intervention alone back in the home
country.

It's now a well-established business model and is acknowledged in various
countries - when I flew into India in August I had to fill in the landing
card, and the question asking about the purpose of the visit included
"tourism", "business", and "medical tourism". Why not, say I... I suspect
that for $800 you'll be able to get your tooth crowned plus a week's holiday
in India. I can highly recommend it, it's a great place to visit :-)

Eric

Old February 4th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Christopher Muto" > wrote:

> however the hella are probably dot approved

The Hella E-code is not DOT approved, apparently because it lacks the
three little bumps for machine aiming (is that still done?).

The Hella Vision Plus model is approved, but it has an inferior light
pattern and is particularly unsuitable for use on NA Miatas--there's a
weep hole that isn't at the low point when the barn doors are closed, so
the reflector collects condensation.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old February 4th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"Christopher Muto" > wrote:

> i think the h6024 will be around for a long time. lots of cars
> use them. 20+ years of jeeps for instance. many volkswagons, and
> so on.

I have to agree, I was VERY unpleasantly surprised to find them not
readily available at local stores. I'm wondering if the stores were
temporarily out or if they don't plan on carrying them any more?