Installing a power antenna

Old November 25th 04, 02:14 AM
Dave Smith

Default Installing a power antenna

I'm installing a power antenna in my '97 to replace the old non-power
one. I got the stock Mazda power unit from the dealer and everything
went into place very easily. That should have been my first inkling
of trouble. It just doesn't go up. So, here's the set-up. Other
than the wire for the radio signal, there are two plugs, one with four
wires and one with two wires, available to hook up to the socket on
the antenna. Both will fit the same socket and both only fit one way.
I've tried both and neither works to make the antenna go up. I
checked the connectors in the plugs with a multitester and don't get
any current from any of them, but I thought it's possible that there
is current only when the antenna is going up or down so that might not
mean anything. Still, it seems to me that the simplest explanation is
that the shop that installed the new Alpine head simply didn't hook up
the power wires since at the time, I had a standard antenna. Am I
missing something? When I turn on the radio, I get a signal when I
touch the top of the antenna, so at least that part works.

Also, there is a small plastic hose with a fitting on the end coming
out of the antenna unit. I can't find anything to hook it to. Does
it do anything or is it just decorative?

The shop is closed for Thanksgiving or I'd just take it to them.

Thanks very much for any help.
Old November 25th 04, 04:17 PM
Leon van Dommelen

Dave Smith > wrote:

>I'm installing a power antenna in my '97 to replace the old non-power
>one. I got the stock Mazda power unit from the dealer and everything
>went into place very easily. That should have been my first inkling
>of trouble. It just doesn't go up. So, here's the set-up. Other
>than the wire for the radio signal, there are two plugs, one with four
>wires and one with two wires, available to hook up to the socket on
>the antenna. Both will fit the same socket and both only fit one way.

according to the 95 manual, the plug has red/black, black/yellow,
blue/black, and light gray/yellow wires. The red/black wire should
get power directly from the battery through the power antenna fuse
block right next to it.

>I've tried both and neither works to make the antenna go up. I
>checked the connectors in the plugs with a multitester and don't get
>any current from any of them,

see above.

> but I thought it's possible that there
>is current only when the antenna is going up or down so that might not
>mean anything. Still, it seems to me that the simplest explanation is
>that the shop that installed the new Alpine head simply didn't hook up
>the power wires since at the time, I had a standard antenna. Am I
>missing something?

Maybe.

> When I turn on the radio, I get a signal when I
>touch the top of the antenna, so at least that part works.
>
>Also, there is a small plastic hose with a fitting on the end coming
>out of the antenna unit. I can't find anything to hook it to. Does
>it do anything or is it just decorative?

It should attach to a water drain tube, draining through the
floor next to the battery.

>The shop is closed for Thanksgiving or I'd just take it to them.
>
>Thanks very much for any help.

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old November 26th 04, 01:04 AM
Dave Smith

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:17:47 GMT,
(Leon van Dommelen) wrote:

>Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>>I'm installing a power antenna in my '97 to replace the old non-power
>>one. I got the stock Mazda power unit from the dealer and everything
>>went into place very easily. That should have been my first inkling
>>of trouble. It just doesn't go up. So, here's the set-up. Other
>>than the wire for the radio signal, there are two plugs, one with four
>>wires and one with two wires, available to hook up to the socket on
>>the antenna. Both will fit the same socket and both only fit one way.

>according to the 95 manual, the plug has red/black, black/yellow,
>blue/black, and light gray/yellow wires. The red/black wire should
>get power directly from the battery through the power antenna fuse
>block right next to it.

Thanks Leon but my set-up is different. I have red/black, red, and
two thick grey wires that might have a second layer of insulation. If
they do, I can't tell what color the wires inside are. They all go up
the bundle from the positive terminal toward the front of the car.

>>I've tried both and neither works to make the antenna go up. I
>>checked the connectors in the plugs with a multitester and don't get
>>any current from any of them,

>see above.
>
>> but I thought it's possible that there
>>is current only when the antenna is going up or down so that might not
>>mean anything. Still, it seems to me that the simplest explanation is
>>that the shop that installed the new Alpine head simply didn't hook up
>>the power wires since at the time, I had a standard antenna. Am I
>>missing something?

>Maybe.
>
>> When I turn on the radio, I get a signal when I
>>touch the top of the antenna, so at least that part works.
>>
>>Also, there is a small plastic hose with a fitting on the end coming
>>out of the antenna unit. I can't find anything to hook it to. Does
>>it do anything or is it just decorative?

>It should attach to a water drain tube, draining through the
>floor next to the battery.

Thanks for that. That's where it is now.

Old November 26th 04, 01:33 PM
Leon van Dommelen

Dave Smith > wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:17:47 GMT,
>(Leon van Dommelen) wrote:
>
>>Dave Smith > wrote:
>>
>>>I'm installing a power antenna in my '97 to replace the old non-power
>>>one. I got the stock Mazda power unit from the dealer and everything
>>>went into place very easily. That should have been my first inkling
>>>of trouble. It just doesn't go up. So, here's the set-up. Other
>>>than the wire for the radio signal, there are two plugs, one with four
>>>wires and one with two wires, available to hook up to the socket on
>>>the antenna. Both will fit the same socket and both only fit one way.

>>according to the 95 manual, the plug has red/black, black/yellow,
>>blue/black, and light gray/yellow wires. The red/black wire should
>>get power directly from the battery through the power antenna fuse
>>block right next to it.

>Thanks Leon but my set-up is different. I have red/black, red, and
>two thick grey wires that might have a second layer of insulation. If
>they do, I can't tell what color the wires inside are. They all go up
>the bundle from the positive terminal toward the front of the car.

Maybe they did not like the idea of taking power directly from
the battery and changed it. Or maybe they were trying to cut
the cost of the fuse block. Looks like you will need to ask the
dealer or find someone with a 96.5-97.

Leon

Old November 26th 04, 10:20 PM
Dave Smith

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:33:41 GMT,
(Leon van Dommelen) wrote:

>Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:17:47 GMT,

>>(Leon van Dommelen) wrote:

>>>according to the 95 manual, the plug has red/black, black/yellow,
>>>blue/black, and light gray/yellow wires. The red/black wire should
>>>get power directly from the battery through the power antenna fuse
>>>block right next to it.

>>Thanks Leon but my set-up is different. I have red/black, red, and
>>two thick grey wires that might have a second layer of insulation. If
>>they do, I can't tell what color the wires inside are. They all go up
>>the bundle from the positive terminal toward the front of the car.

>Maybe they did not like the idea of taking power directly from
>the battery and changed it. Or maybe they were trying to cut
>the cost of the fuse block. Looks like you will need to ask the
>dealer or find someone with a 96.5-97.
>
>Leon

Well, I took it to my car audio shop and they say that the plug with
only two wires is the one to use as it's the one that goes to the
stereo head location. They say it should work, but doesn't, so the
antenna unit might be bad. Somehow I doubt it, but ya never know.
I'll go to the dealer on Monday and see what I can learn.

Old November 27th 04, 12:44 AM
Leon van Dommelen

Dave Smith > wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:33:41 GMT,
>(Leon van Dommelen) wrote:
>
>>Dave Smith > wrote:

>>>Thanks Leon but my set-up is different. I have red/black, red, and
>>>two thick grey wires that might have a second layer of insulation. If
>>>they do, I can't tell what color the wires inside are. They all go up
>>>the bundle from the positive terminal toward the front of the car.

>>Maybe they did not like the idea of taking power directly from
>>the battery and changed it. Or maybe they were trying to cut
>>the cost of the fuse block. Looks like you will need to ask the
>>dealer or find someone with a 96.5-97.
>>
>>Leon

>Well, I took it to my car audio shop and they say that the plug with
>only two wires is the one to use as it's the one that goes to the
>stereo head location. They say it should work, but doesn't, so the
>antenna unit might be bad. Somehow I doubt it, but ya never know.

I doubt it too. Unless they also changed the antenna motor
or relay, it needs 4 wires.

Leon

Old November 30th 04, 01:36 AM
Dave Smith

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 00:44:02 GMT,
(Leon van Dommelen) wrote:

>Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:33:41 GMT,

>>(Leon van Dommelen) wrote:

>>>Maybe they did not like the idea of taking power directly from
>>>the battery and changed it. Or maybe they were trying to cut
>>>the cost of the fuse block. Looks like you will need to ask the
>>>dealer or find someone with a 96.5-97.
>>>
>>>Leon

>>Well, I took it to my car audio shop and they say that the plug with
>>only two wires is the one to use as it's the one that goes to the
>>stereo head location. They say it should work, but doesn't, so the
>>antenna unit might be bad. Somehow I doubt it, but ya never know.

>I doubt it too. Unless they also changed the antenna motor
>or relay, it needs 4 wires.
>
>Leon

Problem solved. I went back to the shop and asked them to check it
again because I had information that it should use the four wire plug.
Lo and behold, it was the four wire plug. One of the wires was
broken. Geez.

Thanks for your input Leon. Without it I would have jumped through
many more hoops.

Disabling the power antenna R. P. Honda 9 April 13th 05 04:58 AM
eScrew [email protected] Driving 0 December 20th 04 10:52 AM
Power Antenna Connector Wiring Barry S. Honda 1 December 8th 04 05:05 PM