A little long before firing up - family trademark or is my car alittle sick?

Old December 28th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bruno

Default A little long before firing up - family trademark or is my car alittle sick?

I find that when starting my 1999 NB 1.8 it takes about a second before
the engine fires up. Or to put in different words it takes just slightly
long enough for me to notice and think "Huh!".

This seems to be regardless of ambient temperatures and only if the car
has been out running within the hour or so it fires up straight away.

Voltage on the battery is fine and I can hear the starter turning at
what I think is normal speed so my guess is that fuel supply is the
issue. When I had the car at is' first major service (60K miles) in the
summer the mechanic reported the issue was a family trademark but still
it bugs me a little.

I run the 95 RON gas around on the car and fuel quality is generally of
high standards so that should be fine.

Any thoughts?

Kind regards
Bruno
Old December 28th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Bruno > wrote:

> I find that when starting my 1999 NB 1.8 it takes about a second
> before the engine fires up. Or to put in different words it takes
> just slightly long enough for me to notice and think "Huh!".

<snip>

> Any thoughts?

Does it matter how long the car has been sitting or is it the same
every time you start it?

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old December 29th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Bruno, I've noticed a very similar tendency with my 99 and have even asked
the question here w/o much response IIRC. I've been concerned that this
could be the early stages of a fuel pump problem. Mine hasn't gotten much
worse in the (relatively) colder weather so, I'm not sure. Maybe someone
will chime in with something useful this time.

Chris
99BBB

Old December 29th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

On my 99 which does the same thing, I believe that it's related to the cam
and or crankshaft sensors.
It seems to take a bit for the ECU to sort out the sensor signals.

Old December 29th 07, 08:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mal Osborne

Probably not a bad thing. Gives the oil pump time to prime before any
significant load is placed on bearing surfaces.

Old December 29th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bruno

XS11E wrote:

> Does it matter how long the car has been sitting or is it the same
> every time you start it?

It does seem like the firing up takes longer if the car has been parked
a few days rather than say just one day but the difference is not a huge
one. Maybe I should try and time it somehow or perhaps even record it. I
shall try and report in more detail.

Kind regards
Bruno
Old December 29th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bruno

Mal Osborne wrote:

> Probably not a bad thing. Gives the oil pump time to prime before any
> significant load is placed on bearing surfaces.

Makes sense I guess. Still it does not sound good and sort of bugs me.

I wonder if the car did it when it was new? (I only bought mine a year
ago so I can't say except that it has been like that since day one).

Actually come to think of it I bought mine a year ago on the day!

It has been a good year. Something like 6000 miles and just $10.000
running costs so I'm a happy motorist :-)

Kind regards
Bruno
Old December 29th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

"Mal Osborne" > wrote in message

> Probably not a bad thing. Gives the oil pump time to prime before any
> significant load is placed on bearing surfaces.
>

> "Chuck" > wrote in message
>> On my 99 which does the same thing, I believe that it's related to the
>> cam
>> and or crankshaft sensors.
>> It seems to take a bit for the ECU to sort out the sensor signals.

These may both be correct but as Bruno mentioned; it's a bit worrisome when
the thing sounds like it might not start occasionally. Sometimes I end up
letting off the key and giving it a second go. It's never failed on the
second try to fire right up but I still get that sinking feeling that this
might be the first time.

Chris
99BBB

Old December 29th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Bruno > wrote:

> XS11E wrote:
>>
>> Does it matter how long the car has been sitting or is it the
>> same every time you start it?
>>

> It does seem like the firing up takes longer if the car has been
> parked a few days rather than say just one day but the difference
> is not a huge one. Maybe I should try and time it somehow or
> perhaps even record it. I shall try and report in more detail.

I don't know if it's important. I was thinking if it started right up
after running awhile but took a long time after sitting overnight a
leaky valve in the fuel pump might be allowing fuel to drain back into
the tank so there wouldn't be enough pressure in the fuel rail for an
instant start but that seems unlikely if it's not a big difference.

Looking at real obvious stuff.... how old are the spark plugs and plug
wires?

Old December 29th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bruno

XS11E wrote:

> I don't know if it's important. I was thinking if it started right up
> after running awhile but took a long time after sitting overnight a
> leaky valve in the fuel pump might be allowing fuel to drain back into
> the tank so there wouldn't be enough pressure in the fuel rail for an
> instant start but that seems unlikely if it's not a big difference.

Hmm, it sounds like a possible theory. If one imagines there is only so
far the fuel can drain back it could very well be that certain level of
delay is reached after like a day or so and that the level won't change
much more regardless of time. This is total speculation on my part as I
really know to little about these things.

> Looking at real obvious stuff.... how old are the spark plugs and plug
> wires?

Plugs was changed at the big service this summer but that did not change
anything. The plug wires could be the original 1999 ones or they could
be little more than a year old - I must admit to buying a car without a
service history so many things are pure guess work.

Kind regards
Bruno