Downshifting

Old November 13th 06, 07:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Justin

Default Downshifting

"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message

| >It did exist, but looks like it has been removed,
|
| It was not removed because it never existed.
|
| > it is in archive format
| >only.
|
| If you have an incompetent ISP as, apparently, telus, you can
| post to the "group" but don't expect anyone with a competent
| ISP like earthlink to see your posts. Competent ISP do not
| carry "groups" that have not been created, because it defeats
| the purpose of the rec hierarchy versus the alt one.
|
| >http://groups.google.com.au/group/re...rs.mazda?hl=en
| >

| Apparently the google.au software picked up some of those posts
| from such incompetent ISPs before they got wise.
|
| Leon

Beats me how one can post to a group that does not exist?

I have removed the .au from the original link, so has Google Global got it
wrong too?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...rs.mazda?hl=en

Old November 13th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2006-11-13, Justin <> wrote:

> Beats me how one can post to a group that does not exist?

Because you're using a news-server that's broken.

> I have removed the .au from the original link, so has Google Global got it
> wrong too?
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...rs.mazda?hl=en

Did you _look_ at that link?

The most recent posting there is from 2-1/2 years ago. In the
year before that, there are about two dozen threads, most of
which are spam.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I have a TINY BOWL in
at my HEAD
Old November 14th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
tooloud

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article <B6O5h.1060601$084.707211@attbi_s22>,
> "tooloud" > wrote:
>
>> OK, Leon, assuming you're right and we're going to follow the
>> "letter of the law" and all in regards to Usenet, is it appropriate
>> to pick another newsgroup to hijack if your preferred subject isn't
>> represented?

> Occasional questions about other Mazda vehicles have always been
> tolerated on RAMMM,

Have they *really* been "tolerated", or have we just not had much of a
choice in the matter?

> though good answers are more likely to be found on
> the specialized forums for each model. (Same advice regarding Miatas,
> actually. We have fun here, but miata.net is a superior technical
> resource.)
>
> Some folks should paint their Delete keys in a bright color, so
> they'll be easier to find.

But with that logic, we should tolerate spam.

I'm of the mindset that some folks should paint their "post" key in a bright
color, so they think before they ask the question.

--
tooloud
Remove nothing to reply

Old November 14th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

tooloud wrote:

> Have they *really* been "tolerated", or have we just not had much of a
> choice in the matter?

For me, it is right click, ignore thread, left click.
There was a long off-topic discussion about the Cougar Ace cargo ship
when it capsized, even though there was no mention of any MX-5's on board.
The group survived unscathed.

If all that was talked about here was miatas, we would see almost
nothing but questions from new owners about leaky slave cylinders and
clogged drain sills. (slight exaggeration)

> But with that logic, we should tolerate spam.

Who is "we"?
This is an unmoderated group where you exercise your own right to read
what you will.
I won't participate in moderated groups because the moderators get a
power trip. If people want to dump me in their killfile, no problem, but
I don't want one person to have that ability with me or anyone else.
Again, I want to choose whether to read it or not rather than have the
choice made by another person.
This group would never make a unanimous decision on anything. There is
no "we" here.

Lanny is correct that miata.net is a superior resource, but I have had
almost every single miata question answered correctly here, and the
answers to almost any miata question can be found in the miata.net
archives or on google.
We are just re-hashing old stuff for the most part until each new model
comes out.

> I'm of the mindset that some folks should paint their "post" key in a bright
> color, so they think before they ask the question.

Mine is the left mouse button and I have a twitchy mouse trigger finger
from all of those first person shooter games. That is my excuse.... ;-)

Pat

Old November 14th 06, 07:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Justin

"Grant Edwards" > wrote in message
| On 2006-11-13, Justin <> wrote:
|
| > Beats me how one can post to a group that does not exist?
|
| Because you're using a news-server that's broken.
|
| > I have removed the .au from the original link, so has Google Global got
it
| > wrong too?
| >
| > http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...rs.mazda?hl=en
|
| Did you _look_ at that link?
|
| The most recent posting there is from 2-1/2 years ago. In the
| year before that, there are about two dozen threads, most of
| which are spam.
|
| --

Yes I did read it, and I do know it was over 2 years ago, but it "DID"
exist , I thought someone here said it "NEVER" existed, and if they
didn't, I apologise, my bad.

Old November 14th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2006-11-14, Justin <> wrote:

>> > Beats me how one can post to a group that does not exist?

>> Because you're using a news-server that's broken.
>>
>>> I have removed the .au from the original link, so has Google
>>> Global got it wrong too?
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...rs.mazda?hl=en

>> Did you _look_ at that link?
>>
>> The most recent posting there is from 2-1/2 years ago. In the
>> year before that, there are about two dozen threads, most of
>> which are spam.

> Yes I did read it, and I do know it was over 2 years ago, but it "DID"
> exist , I thought someone here said it "NEVER" existed, and if they
> didn't, I apologise, my bad.

What has been said (many, many, times) is that it only existed
on mis-configured servers. The r.a.m.m group was never valid,
and postings to it would never have propagated to normal,
properly configured news servers.

Despite repeated explanations of how Usenet works, why it's not
a valid group (and never was), and why it does show up on some
broken servers, people keep pointing to some mis-configured
server (such as http://groups.google.com/group/rec.autos.makers.mazda)
and shouting "There it is! It's a real newsgroup!".

I'm done explaining it. If people want to post to to r.a.m.m
on their broken news-server, that's fine -- but pointing others
to that group is doing them a disservice.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Hello, GORRY-O!! I'm
at a GENIUS from HARVARD!!
Old November 15th 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Justin

| >> Because you're using a news-server that's broken.

| >> Did you _look_ at that link?
| >>
| >> The most recent posting there is from 2-1/2 years ago. In the
| >> year before that, there are about two dozen threads, most of
| >> which are spam.
| >
| > Yes I did read it, and I do know it was over 2 years ago, but it "DID"
| > exist , I thought someone here said it "NEVER" existed, and if they
| > didn't, I apologise, my bad.
|
| What has been said (many, many, times) is that it only existed
| on mis-configured servers. The r.a.m.m group was never valid,
| and postings to it would never have propagated to normal,
| properly configured news servers.
|
| Despite repeated explanations of how Usenet works, why it's not
| a valid group (and never was), and why it does show up on some
| broken servers, people keep pointing to some mis-configured
| server (such as http://groups.google.com/group/rec.autos.makers.mazda)
| and shouting "There it is! It's a real newsgroup!".
|
| I'm done explaining it. If people want to post to to r.a.m.m
| on their broken news-server, that's fine -- but pointing others
| to that group is doing them a disservice.
|
| --
| Grant Edwards grante Yow! Hello, GORRY-O!!
I'm
| at a GENIUS from HARVARD!!
| visi.com

ok, thanx got ya!

2002 Mustang 6cyl -Automatic slow response to downshifting [email protected] Ford Mustang 3 October 27th 06 01:23 PM
Hard Downshifting Spdloader Jeep 18 November 27th 05 02:47 AM
downshifting automatic to slow down [email protected] Dodge 6 November 16th 05 02:47 PM
3.3L downshifting by self after replacing Engine Bob Warmen Chrysler 8 October 12th 04 05:39 PM