2006 Miata

Old May 25th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default 2006 Miata

In article >, "Kevin Anderson" > wrote:
>to each his own, But I would take the 2006 over the 2004 turbo in a second.
>Why would anyone want a turbo if you can generate nearly the same power
>without it? and besides I like the look of the new car better.

The '04 MS will generate more torque, thus more power over a wide
rev range. It'll only be at 6000+ (maybe 6500+) where the '06 makes
more power. Plus, as has been written, the '04 has the stiffer,
more athletic suspension. And some may prefer the interior of the
NB to the NC's (I do). Looks are even more subjective. OTOH, I do
prefer the NC's increased chassis stiffness and refinement. And I
too am not particularly a turbo fan. To each his own.
Old May 27th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

(Dave) wrote:

>In article >, "Kevin Anderson" > wrote:
>>to each his own, But I would take the 2006 over the 2004 turbo in a second.
>>Why would anyone want a turbo if you can generate nearly the same power
>>without it? and besides I like the look of the new car better.

>The '04 MS will generate more torque, thus more power over a wide
>rev range. It'll only be at 6000+ (maybe 6500+) where the '06 makes
>more power.

Not quite.
http://flyinmiata.com/tech/dyno_runs/NC_vs_MSM.pdf
The 2006 makes more power than the Mazdaspeed below 4000 rpm, and again
above 6200.

However, the intermediate range where the Mazda speed has higher power
is the most important for acceleration, and I would not want to race one.

Leon

--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old May 27th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >, (Leon van Dommelen) wrote:
(Dave) wrote:

>>The '04 MS will generate more torque, thus more power over a wide
>>rev range. It'll only be at 6000+ (maybe 6500+) where the '06 makes
>>more power.

>Not quite.
http://flyinmiata.com/tech/dyno_runs/NC_vs_MSM.pdf
>The 2006 makes more power than the Mazdaspeed below 4000 rpm, and again
>above 6200.

Okay, got me. I had seen that curve recently at miata.net but
quickly forgot. Guess they use a peaky turbo in this app (see other
discussion...). And the NC appears to have a pretty nice flat tq
curve.

To all: have a great holiday weekend!