Radio stopped working on low battery

Old April 19th 09, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
axel

Default Radio stopped working on low battery

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

My friend's Jeep has a low battery which ultimately needs to be
replaced, it already left her stranded once. The battery puts out 9V
only, it still cranks the car but barely. When the engine runs the
voltage coming out of the alternator is about 12+ V so the alternator
is fine.
Anyhow, the radio stopped working when the battery was to low to crank
the engine at all. This maybe just coincidental, however my question
is if there is some security feature/code to activate the radio after
a loss of power. I checked the fuse (no 30, blue 15amp) and it's
fine. I would think it is unlikely that there is a short circuit
somewhere in regards to the radio.

So, any special way to activate the radio after loss of power? Its
the standard factory radio and the manual is not talking about any
special procedure.

Thanks in advance.
Axel
Old April 19th 09, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

I do not know Jeep, specifically, on this function, but Toyota uses it
widely.

The idea is that nobody likes to call AAA because the battery is dead, so
they have discovered that a non-essential function (clock, radio, compass,
etc.) can be designed so that when the battery voltage drops below a
threshold that might cause the starter to falter, then that function goes
away. If the radio forgets the stastion you left it on, the message is that
the battery is dying. If the clock does not remember whate time it is, the
battery is dying.

If the radio refuses to work after the voltage is restored, then the
Anti-Theft feature of the radio is doing it's job. The idea here is that
when the radio is stolen, it requires a code to be input through the station
selection buttons. (Typically there are 6 buttons, so the code might have 5
digits with any one of the six buttons being required for each digit. BMW
uses this scheme, I do not know if your Jeep uses it or not. The radio
thinks it has been stolen -- power went away then came back when the battery
was replaced, this the same thing that happens when the radio has been
stolen. The code that your radio needs is unique to your radio, if there is
a code needed. Well, the code might not be unique, but it is not so common
as to allow anybody to tell you what it is. The same code might repeat if
there are enough radios, but there is no way that all radios use the same
code. That defeats the purpose of the code.

Old April 19th 09, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

axel wrote:
> 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
>
> My friend's Jeep has a low battery which ultimately needs to be
> replaced, it already left her stranded once. The battery puts out 9V
> only, it still cranks the car but barely. When the engine runs the
> voltage coming out of the alternator is about 12+ V so the alternator
> is fine.

When the battery is that low all sorts of things can happen.
Even the Jeeps brain gets confused. Replace the battery
before something is damaged, especially the alternator because
it will be overworked. That and failing batteries can go bad
in spectacular ways (think internal short).

As for the radio, that depends. The WJ shipped with several radios,
some of the higher end units did have an anti-theft. When the radio
has power loss for a significant amount of time (think about an hour)
the next time it powers you usually get "ENTER CODE" as the display.

--
DougW

Old April 20th 09, 11:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain[_4_]

I do not know about the grand, but I do know that the stereo in a
Cherokee can blow out from an 'open' circuit on the alternator or no
battery in the circuit to buffer the load. The alternator can spike the
voltage with a bad or no battery connection which lets the magic smoke
out of the stereo.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00
2000 Cherokee Sport
'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and
Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

Old April 20th 09, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
.com...
>I do not know about the grand, but I do know that the stereo in a
> Cherokee can blow out from an 'open' circuit on the alternator or no
> battery in the circuit to buffer the load. The alternator can spike the
> voltage with a bad or no battery connection which lets the magic smoke
> out of the stereo.

JUST SO WE'RE CLEAR
Magic Smoke is the stuff that makes any electronic gadget operate. If the
smoke leaks out, the gadget stops working.

Old April 20th 09, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_7_]

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
.com...
>I do not know about the grand, but I do know that the stereo in a
> Cherokee can blow out from an 'open' circuit on the alternator or no
> battery in the circuit to buffer the load. The alternator can spike the
> voltage with a bad or no battery connection which lets the magic smoke
> out of the stereo.

JUST SO WE'RE CLEAR
Magic Smoke is the stuff that makes any electronic gadget operate. If the
smoke leaks out, the gadget stops working.

-----

LMAO!
Jeff... you be too kewel fer skool man!

K.

Old April 25th 09, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore[_2_]

> JUST SO WE'RE CLEAR
> Magic Smoke is the stuff that makes any electronic gadget operate. If
> the smoke leaks out, the gadget stops working.

All transistors are made with smoke. When the smoke leaks out, the part stops working.
Old April 25th 09, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Scott in Baltimore wrote:
>> JUST SO WE'RE CLEAR
>> Magic Smoke is the stuff that makes any electronic gadget operate. If
>> the smoke leaks out, the gadget stops working.

> All transistors are made with smoke. When the smoke leaks out, the
> part stops working.

And the three types of diodes.
LED - Light Emitting Diode
DED - Dark Emitting Diode
SED - Smoke Emitting Diode

Speaking of which it's time to track down another transient fault
with my overhead console. Bugger cuts out every so often but otherwise
is fine. I'm guessing it's the same fault as the VIC had. A bad
solder joint finaly gave out.

http://revbeergoggles.com/temp/crack.jpg
http://revbeergoggles.com/temp/doh1.jpg
http://revbeergoggles.com/temp/doh2.jpg

http://revbeergoggles.com/temp/nocrack.jpg
http://revbeergoggles.com/temp/doh-fixored.jpg

The cost of a few cents in solder and wire saved
about 1,000 for a replacement VIC. Nuts huh?

--
DougW

Old April 26th 09, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore[_2_]

> LOL I bet you believe in "dark suckers" too. :-)

The Dark Sucker Theory

For years, it has been believed that electric bulbs emit light,
but recent information has proved otherwise. Electric bulbs don't
emit light; they suck dark. Thus, we call these bulbs Dark Suckers.
The Dark Sucker Theory and the existence of dark suckers prove
that dark has mass and is heavier than light.
First, the basis of the Dark Sucker Theory is that electric bulbs
suck dark. For example, take the Dark Sucker in the room you are in.
There is much less dark right next to it than there is elsewhere. The
larger the Dark Sucker, the greater its capacity to suck dark.
Dark Suckers in the parking lot have a much greater capacity to suck
dark than the ones in this room.
So with all things, Dark Suckers don't last forever. Once they are
full of dark, they can no longer suck. This is proven by the dark spot
on a full Dark Sucker.
A candle is a primitive Dark Sucker. A new candle has a white wick.
You can see that after the first use, the wick turns black, representing
all the dark that has been sucked into it. If you put a pencil next to
the wick of an operating candle, it will turn black. This is because
it got in the way of the dark flowing into the candle. One of the
disadvantages of these primitive Dark Suckers is their limited range.
There are also portable Dark Suckers. In these, the bulbs can't
handle all the dark by themselves and must be aided by a Dark Storage
Unit. When the Dark Storage Unit is full, it must be either emptied
or replaced before the portable Dark Sucker can operate again.
Dark has mass. When dark goes into a Dark Sucker, friction from
the mass generates heat. Thus, it is not wise to touch an operating
Dark Sucker. Candles present a special problem as the mass must travel
into a solid wick instead of through clear glass. This generates a
great amount of heat and therefore it's not wise to touch an operating
candle.
Also, dark is heavier than light. If you were to swim just below
the surface of the lake, you would see a lot of light. If you were to
slowly swim deeper and deeper, you would notice it getting darker and
darker. When you get really deep, you would be in total darkness. This
is because the heavier dark sinks to the bottom of the lake and the
lighter light floats at the top. The is why it is called light.
Finally, we must prove that dark is faster than light. If you were
to stand in a lit room in front of a closed, dark closet, and slowly
opened the closet door, you would see the light slowly enter the closet.
But since dark is so fast, you would not be able to see the dark leave
the closet.
Next time you see an electric bulb, remember that it is a Dark Sucker.
Old April 26th 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain[_4_]

Scott in Baltimore wrote:
<snipped>

> When you get really deep, you would be in total darkness. This
> is because the heavier dark sinks to the bottom of the lake and the
> lighter light floats at the top. The is why it is called light.

ROTFLMAO!!

That whole article is just too good, thanks I have never heard that one
before.