2000 E46 OBD code 1498

Old April 6th 09, 07:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
JeffC

Default 2000 E46 OBD code 1498

Hi - the check engine light came on today (2000 328i) . I read code 1397 (
Camshaft pos. sensor) along with code 1498. Does anyone know what 1498 is? I
saw some info on the web pointing to a transmission fault but that was for a
Mini. It said 1498 was for Mini's only - not BMW's. The car runs and drives
fine and has 55k miles.

How long can I drive with one of the camshaft sensors out? I heard the usual
failure mode is oil ingestion due to cracks on the tip??

Thanks for any info.

Jeff

Old April 6th 09, 11:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
D.

i checked the code and it reads " auxiliary
emission controls " .
i'm sure that this could mean anything .
hth ,
dick

Old April 7th 09, 02:23 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

The Cam Sensor does a similar job as the points used to do way back when
they still used points.

The engine will not run with a failed cam sensor.

I'm a bit confused by the coeds you report. They are not OBD II codes. OBD
II codes should be P0nnn, where nnn is in the range of 100 to 999. Codes
that are P1nnn are manufacturer specific codes -- they will be for things
that one maker might check for, but the others to not check. The Cam Sensor
is not a BMW specific code

Here is a list of valid OBD II codes,

http://autorepair.about.com/od/obdco..._1996_year.htm

You should be pulling the OBD II codes from the data port that is mounted
along the bottom of the dash board, possibly behind a cover that states OBD
Data, or similar.

You can pull data from the BMW diagnostic port, but that data might not give
the same code information as the OBD II data, and this can lead to
confusion.

According to the link I posted, P1397 is a Cam Sensor, just as you said (I'm
a bit perplexed by this, but let's move on).The "1498" code says it is a
Honda/Acura code.

Old April 7th 09, 09:49 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Jeff Strickland > wrote:
> The Cam Sensor does a similar job as the points used to do way back when
> they still used points.

Not so - it's the crank sensor which basically times the spark. More
accurate than a sensor driven via chains etc which stretch. The cam sensor
- ignition wise - tells which stroke the engine is on as the crank turns
twice per cylinder cycle.

> The engine will not run with a failed cam sensor.

Think it will after a fashion in the same way as it will with a failed
crank sensor. A limp home mode.

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old April 7th 09, 06:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
D.

this is what i found : " P1498 _ manufacturer contrl auxiliary
emissions controls " .
HTH ,
D.

Old April 7th 09, 11:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Jeff Strickland > wrote:
>> The Cam Sensor does a similar job as the points used to do way back when
>> they still used points.

> Not so - it's the crank sensor which basically times the spark. More
> accurate than a sensor driven via chains etc which stretch. The cam sensor
> - ignition wise - tells which stroke the engine is on as the crank turns
> twice per cylinder cycle.

But Dave, the points time the spark. Granted, the job is done differently,
but when looking for the cam sensor, one would look in essentially the same
place as one might look for points. The package might be different, but the
location and job is pretty much the same.

Distributors (points) have always been driven by a gear. I've never seen an
application where this job would be done via a chain-driven mechanism.

Old April 8th 09, 02:21 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
JeffC

Thanks all for the great replies. I did read the codes from the OBDII port
under the drivers dash using an Actron code reader. Guess I'll order a cam
sensor today. Thanks again

Jeff

Old April 8th 09, 08:24 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Jeff Strickland > wrote:
> "Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > Jeff Strickland > wrote:
> >> The Cam Sensor does a similar job as the points used to do way back
> >> when they still used points.

> > Not so - it's the crank sensor which basically times the spark. More
> > accurate than a sensor driven via chains etc which stretch. The cam
> > sensor - ignition wise - tells which stroke the engine is on as the
> > crank turns twice per cylinder cycle.
> >

> But Dave, the points time the spark. Granted, the job is done
> differently, but when looking for the cam sensor, one would look in
> essentially the same place as one might look for points. The package
> might be different, but the location and job is pretty much the same.

You've not understood what I've written. It's a combination of the two,
but the crank one actually triggers the spark. It's perfectly possible to
trigger the ignition from the crank only - the Ford EDIS system does this
- and I don't know of any that uses a cam position only one.

> Distributors (points) have always been driven by a gear. I've never seen
> an application where this job would be done via a chain-driven mechanism.

Most distributors are gear driven off the camshaft - which in turn is
usually driven by a chain or belt. So any wear in that chain effects the
ignition timing. That didn't much matter when points and timing were
checked every few thousand miles, and there were no emission controls, but
these days ignition systems are expected to last the life of the car with
no attention, and provide accurate timing throughout.

--
*It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off

Old April 8th 09, 04:03 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Jeff Strickland > wrote:
>> "Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Not so - it's the crank sensor which basically times the spark. More
>> > accurate than a sensor driven via chains etc which stretch. The cam
>> > sensor - ignition wise - tells which stroke the engine is on as the
>> > crank turns twice per cylinder cycle.
>> >

>> But Dave, the points time the spark. Granted, the job is done
>> differently, but when looking for the cam sensor, one would look in
>> essentially the same place as one might look for points. The package
>> might be different, but the location and job is pretty much the same.

> You've not understood what I've written. It's a combination of the two,
> but the crank one actually triggers the spark. It's perfectly possible to
> trigger the ignition from the crank only - the Ford EDIS system does this
> - and I don't know of any that uses a cam position only one.
>
>> Distributors (points) have always been driven by a gear. I've never seen
>> an application where this job would be done via a chain-driven mechanism.

> Most distributors are gear driven off the camshaft - which in turn is
> usually driven by a chain or belt. So any wear in that chain effects the
> ignition timing. That didn't much matter when points and timing were
> checked every few thousand miles, and there were no emission controls, but
> these days ignition systems are expected to last the life of the car with
> no attention, and provide accurate timing throughout.

No matter, the discussion is the source of the P1397 code, and that comes
from the cam sensor, and that is located in a position one might expcet to
find the points -- if they still used points (which we all know they don't
use and haven't used for a very long time, but gives one an idea of where to
locate the cam sensor).

Code P1131 on 2000 GT question Mark G7#9 Ford Mustang 3 April 8th 09 12:48 AM
Transmission code 2000 S4 [email protected] Audi 3 July 18th 08 12:24 PM
2000 TDI DTC code question Peter Parker VW water cooled 3 February 4th 08 10:16 PM
2000 A4 1.8T trouble code KWS Audi 5 October 27th 05 06:45 AM
Code P1133 on 2000 Saturn SL Edward Crismond Saturn 1 February 3rd 05 02:25 AM