Cam Sensor Screeching When Cold

Old March 28th 09, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Chris Maness

Default Cam Sensor Screeching When Cold

I have a 4.0L 2006 Jeep wrangler. Just recently, there is a terrible
screeching noise that I traced with a stethoscope to the cam position
sensor. It only screeches when the engine is cold. Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Chris KQ6UP
Old March 28th 09, 06:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Chris Maness wrote:

> I have a 4.0L 2006 Jeep wrangler. Just recently, there is a terrible
> screeching noise that I traced with a stethoscope to the cam position
> sensor. It only screeches when the engine is cold. Any Ideas?

Likely a dried out bushing on the distributor shaft and may require a new
distributor to fix it - oops! Yours is individual coils on the plug rail,
isn't it? Same diagnosis, but the part changes. Some where you will have
a shaft that is geared to the camshaft. I haven't looked at the newer
engines, but it's likely right where the old distributor was and the shaft
is about the same deal as that was.

For a cold squeal, double check that it isn't the water pump. That's a real
common cold noise source. Sure it isn't a belt?

-
Will Honea

Old March 28th 09, 02:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Chris[_29_]

On Mar 27, 10:19*pm, Will Honea > wrote:
> Chris Maness wrote:
> > I have a 4.0L 2006 Jeep wrangler. *Just recently, there is a terrible
> > screeching noise that I traced with a stethoscope to the cam position
> > sensor. *It only screeches when the engine is cold. *Any Ideas?

> Likely a dried out bushing on the distributor shaft and may require a new
> distributor to fix it - oops! Yours is individual coils on the plug rail,
> isn't it? *Same diagnosis, but the part changes. *Some where you will have
> a shaft that is geared to the camshaft. *I haven't looked at the newer
> engines, but it's likely right where the old distributor was and the shaft
> is about the same deal as that was.
>
> For a cold squeal, double check that it isn't the water pump. *That's a real
> common cold noise source. *Sure it isn't a belt?
>
> -
> Will Honea

I am sure it is coming from the Cam Sensor (where the distributor was
pre 2000), I used a stethoscope to trace it down after changing the
serpentine belt to no avail. When I put the steth on the CPS, it
almost deafened me we the squeal that I was hearing on the outside.

The plot thickens. After making the post yesterday, I started loosing
power in surges, and my check engine light came on. It wasn't too bad
until I started up a grade and the jeep started chugging up the hill
like a choo choo.

Well, hopefully I can still go camping after a trip to the dealer.

Thanks,
Chris
Old March 29th 09, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Chris wrote:
> On Mar 27, 10:19 pm, Will Honea > wrote:
>> Chris Maness wrote:
>>> I have a 4.0L 2006 Jeep wrangler. Just recently, there is a terrible
>>> screeching noise that I traced with a stethoscope to the cam
>>> position sensor. It only screeches when the engine is cold. Any
>>> Ideas?

>> Likely a dried out bushing on the distributor shaft and may require
>> a new distributor to fix it - oops! Yours is individual coils on the
>> plug rail, isn't it? Same diagnosis, but the part changes. Some
>> where you will have
>> a shaft that is geared to the camshaft. I haven't looked at the newer
>> engines, but it's likely right where the old distributor was and the
>> shaft is about the same deal as that was.
>>
>> For a cold squeal, double check that it isn't the water pump. That's
>> a real common cold noise source. Sure it isn't a belt?
>>
>> -
>> Will Honea

> I am sure it is coming from the Cam Sensor (where the distributor was
> pre 2000), I used a stethoscope to trace it down after changing the
> serpentine belt to no avail. When I put the steth on the CPS, it
> almost deafened me we the squeal that I was hearing on the outside.
>
> The plot thickens. After making the post yesterday, I started loosing
> power in surges, and my check engine light came on. It wasn't too bad
> until I started up a grade and the jeep started chugging up the hill
> like a choo choo.
>
> Well, hopefully I can still go camping after a trip to the dealer.

If it's the CPS pickup (formerly known as a distributor) the basic idea
is still dead simple. Just less parts. But you still have to keep the
proper orientation.
http://www.revbeergoggles.com/distributor/

--
DougW

Old April 4th 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

My idea is that it isn't the cam sensor. I don't know what it is, but I'd
not be expecting it to be the cam sensor. The cam sensor is essentially the
distributor. It's not really a distributor, but the few of them that I've
seen live in the same place and are driven off of the same gear. There are
even a few cam sensors that live on the plate that once held the points. I
don't know that your Jeep does it this way or not, but I'm thinking your
noise is not coming from this area.

Old April 4th 09, 07:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

If it's driven by the gear on the cam, then the sensor is driven by a shaft
and that will be subject to the same oil starvation problem as the
distributor shaft. Not real common, but if you've ever had one that was
oil-starved you'll appreciate the noise that bushing can make until a
little lubrication gets to it! Like fingernails on a blackboard (remember
those?).

--
Will Honea

Old April 4th 09, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

"Will Honea" > wrote in message
> If it's driven by the gear on the cam, then the sensor is driven by a
> shaft
> and that will be subject to the same oil starvation problem as the
> distributor shaft. Not real common, but if you've ever had one that was
> oil-starved you'll appreciate the noise that bushing can make until a
> little lubrication gets to it! Like fingernails on a blackboard (remember
> those?).

I know all about that, and I'm thinking that an '06 would not be having such
a problem this early in life.

Having said that, the OP has already posted that his Jeep has advanced the
symptoms to include running poorly. This makes the cam sensor highly
suspect, even if I think it is too young to be having such ailments.