Ignition Switch 79 SB

Old November 4th 05, 06:13 AM
rene

Default Ignition Switch 79 SB

Engine cuts out without any apparent pattern. My ignition key seems to
have a lot of 'play' within the 'run position' - ignition switch. Just
jiggling the key within the run position makes the car stall out
(simulates the problem). Connected a rubber band between key -
dashboard to apply tension to the key to the 'full right position'
which improved the situation considerably. HOWEVER, did not fix my
problem completely. Still get a stall usually at the most inopportune
moment despite having now 'good tension - no wiggle' on the key.
Putting the car in neutral and restarting gets me going again - until
it happens again. Is there any other explanation besides a (obviously)
bad ignition switch??? Thanks a lot. Irene

Old November 4th 05, 11:31 AM
Joao Eliseu

"rene" > wrote:
>Engine cuts out without any apparent pattern. My ignition key seems to
>have a lot of 'play' within the 'run position' - ignition switch. Just
>jiggling the key within the run position makes the car stall out
>(simulates the problem). Connected a rubber band between key -
>dashboard to apply tension to the key to the 'full right position'
>which improved the situation considerably. HOWEVER, did not fix my
>problem completely. Still get a stall usually at the most inopportune
>moment despite having now 'good tension - no wiggle' on the key.
>Putting the car in neutral and restarting gets me going again - until
>it happens again. Is there any other explanation besides a (obviously)
>bad ignition switch??? Thanks a lot. Irene

If you have to rotate the key all the way to the right to start the engine the switch
is broken. It is a easy job to replace it. You can google and find a lot of sites
with pictures of the procedure.

Joao
Old November 4th 05, 03:23 PM
Speedy Jim

Joao Eliseu wrote:
> "rene" > wrote:
>
>>Engine cuts out without any apparent pattern. My ignition key seems to
>>have a lot of 'play' within the 'run position' - ignition switch. Just
>>jiggling the key within the run position makes the car stall out
>>(simulates the problem). Connected a rubber band between key -
>>dashboard to apply tension to the key to the 'full right position'
>>which improved the situation considerably. HOWEVER, did not fix my
>>problem completely. Still get a stall usually at the most inopportune
>>moment despite having now 'good tension - no wiggle' on the key.
>>Putting the car in neutral and restarting gets me going again - until
>>it happens again. Is there any other explanation besides a (obviously)
>>bad ignition switch??? Thanks a lot. Irene
>>

> If you have to rotate the key all the way to the right to start the engine the switch
> is broken. It is a easy job to replace it. You can google and find a lot of sites
> with pictures of the procedure.
>

> Joao

"It is a easy job to replace it."
No offense intended, but I have to take some exception to that.

On a '79, the steering wheel comes off, then the turn/wiper
switch assy. (Watch out for leaks in the windscreen washer)
Then the special '74 Up security casting (4 bolts).
Unplug switch underneath.
Now the entire lock housing/cylinder/switch can be withdrawn.
Finally, remove tiny screw holding plastic switch.

Note that '79 uses a different sw P/N than '73 Down.

Vic has an article he
http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/ing...eplacement.htm
And Rob and Dave have:
http://www.vw-resource.com/ignition_...placement.html

Note that both are for earlier cars and don't mention the
late security casting.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old November 4th 05, 04:07 PM
rene

Speedy Jim wrote:
> Joao Eliseu wrote:
> > "rene" > wrote:
> >
> >>Engine cuts out without any apparent pattern. My ignition key seems to
> >>have a lot of 'play' within the 'run position' - ignition switch. Just
> >>jiggling the key within the run position makes the car stall out
> >>(simulates the problem). Connected a rubber band between key -
> >>dashboard to apply tension to the key to the 'full right position'
> >>which improved the situation considerably. HOWEVER, did not fix my
> >>problem completely. Still get a stall usually at the most inopportune
> >>moment despite having now 'good tension - no wiggle' on the key.
> >>Putting the car in neutral and restarting gets me going again - until
> >>it happens again. Is there any other explanation besides a (obviously)
> >>bad ignition switch??? Thanks a lot. Irene
> >>

> > If you have to rotate the key all the way to the right to start the engine the switch
> > is broken. It is a easy job to replace it. You can google and find a lot of sites
> > with pictures of the procedure.
> >

> > Joao

> "It is a easy job to replace it."
> No offense intended, but I have to take some exception to that.
>
> On a '79, the steering wheel comes off, then the turn/wiper
> switch assy. (Watch out for leaks in the windscreen washer)
> Then the special '74 Up security casting (4 bolts).
> Unplug switch underneath.
> Now the entire lock housing/cylinder/switch can be withdrawn.
> Finally, remove tiny screw holding plastic switch.
>
> Note that '79 uses a different sw P/N than '73 Down.
>
> Vic has an article he
> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/ing...eplacement.htm
> And Rob and Dave have:
> http://www.vw-resource.com/ignition_...placement.html
>
> Note that both are for earlier cars and don't mention the
> late security casting.
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks

Thank you guys (Joao/Speedy Jim) for the info and great links. Did not
find these links when I googled the issue yesterday. For sure I should
replace both parts of the ignition switch at the same time (electrical
portion and the lock cylinder) - shouldn't I?. I suppose 'easy
replacement' is a relative term. Have to study the info a little while
longer before I decide whether to tackle it myself.
Happy motoring. Irene

Old November 4th 05, 05:39 PM
Joao Eliseu

> "It is a easy job to replace it."
> No offense intended, but I have to take some exception to that.

I thought it was similar to mine. I didn't know about the security casting. Also,
my intension was to motivate him on the job ;-)

Joao
Old November 4th 05, 10:12 PM
D&LBusch

Did you check the relay wire under the rear right seat. It sometimes
vibrates loose and will kill the power to the fuel pump. David
oups.com...