C5 vs. C6

Old September 11th 04, 01:27 AM
04 C5 Black Coupe

Default C5 vs. C6

When over to my local Vette dealer, and there was a new "Metallic Red" C6
parked in front, so I parked directly behind it.
Finally my own personal opportunity to look at both of the cars and compare
them, inch by inch.

I also met the thrilled new owners, and got to listen to the engine,
exhaust, and watch it drive away. I did not drive it.

I had given up the # 1 spot for a C6 at my local dealer, and the people
driving away were the #1 spot. I decided, based upon pictures, and comments
I read from Dave Hill, that I would prefer another C5 over the new C6,
particularly coming back to Vette from Vipers.

My conclusion is that if people buy C5s or C6s according to what Dave Hill
said he was working to accomplish, they will be very happy with their own
choice.

On my new C5, with less than 2000 miles, I've already replaced the stock
exhaust with Corsa Indy Pace Tigersharks. They are barely loud enough to
suit my tastes. On the other hand, the new owners of the C6 listened to my
C5, and exclaimed: "Oh, ours is definitely quieter than yours" which was
true, and for them, a good thing.

The interior has a navigation screen, and contrasting aluminum colored
plastic on doors, and center stand, along with a two cup cup holder with a
ribbed cover.
It no longer has the grab bar that the C5 has on the passenger side. The
seats look very similar to my untrained eye.

The stock wheels are larger and more polished on the C6, but not as shiny as
the Q55 Polished Aluminum wheels on my C5.

The top on the coupe now fits in on a raised pedestal, instead of on a slant
like the C5 and that is a definite improvement for storage in the C6. On
the other hand, I don't know if the mini-trunk under the carpet in the C5
has been carried over to the C6.

From the back, the back up lights have been moved down leaving bare
fiberglass on either side of the license. I didn't like that. It looked
cheaper. However, they now put the flags on the rear panel, instead of on
top, which does look kind of neat. But the back appears bigger, in the
sense that it is clearly taller, and more of a slab with sharp edges than
the C5. On the other hand, it is clearly not as wide, either. Both are
BIG rear ends for the car, so it depends on whether you like tall or wide
better.

I don't like the way the front fenders are now creased at an angle, and
taller than the C5 front slope. It appears harder to see over them, and
they have a sort of Mazda look.

I REALLY don't like the amber day time running lights now being the largest
light in the light pod, which is on when the car is running. It looks very
strange coming at you. I don't understand the function, either. The
lights are sealed to the car by a black plastic gasket which is also out of
place, and the interior paint inside the light covers looks cheap. The pop
up lights clearly look better when down then the front end of the C6, and
clearly look worse when they are up in their "wind brake" mode at night.

The C6 looks smaller then the dimension changes would suggest when parked
directly behind each other. If you are of the Porsche 911 school of design,
or other tasteful European sport car marques, you will consider the C6 as
more sophisticated with its smallish dimensions, more straight up front
windshield, and taller rear and fenders. It is moving more toward a sport
car look, like a 350 Z, Ferrari Maranello, Porsche 911 than past Corvettes.

If you like the larger look and feel of Vipers and Vettes with a rumble in
the exhaust, and a sense of Tim Allen ToolTime "Uh...uh...uh" POWER, the C5
looks the part more than the C6 (despite the fact that the C6 is probably a
half second faster to 60 stock vs. stock).

It turns out that for me, I made the right decision. I was on my way to a
Ferrari, and was just temporarily back in a Corvette. But looking the two
over, I was thinking that I really LIKE my new C5. I just may keep it for a
while.

And as for the new C6 owners...... they were ecstatic.

Eveyone goes home happy.