Sub-$1000 Sim Rig Suggestions?

Old December 29th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
==--==

Default Sub-$1000 Sim Rig Suggestions?

OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel
Memory Kit

my mistake before, I said pc2-5300 and what I actually have is PC2-6400 (as
above)

Cheers
==--==

"Plowboy" > wrote in message
> Ya know, I could have went half a year without hearing that... dang. I
> guess I will be pricin some 800 or better ram, SO what did you buy?
> ((suggestions)).
>
> forsale 2 matched corsair value select, ddr400... <G>.
> ==--== enlightened us with:
>> yes, Plowboy pc3200 is ddr400 - I have pc2-5300 (800mHz - running at
>> 667) now
>> yes, I had dual channel setups in both cases
>>
>> Consider the difference in memory bandwidth between ddr 400 and ddr2
>> 667 +60 % - roughly - in throughput
>>
>> Cheers
>> ==--==
>>

>> "Plowboy" > wrote in message
>>> 3200, is that ddr 400? that is what I have dual channel 2x 1 gig
>>> sticks... I didnt think that memory would do that much, did you go

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1155848825300

Old January 2nd 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Thanks! I might get some soon, but I ended up buying my Gateway fpd218w at
this time... anyone want me old faded 17 inch viewsonic LOL!
==--== enlightened us with:

Old January 3rd 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
==--==

lol - ironic? I have the fpd2185w also
cheers
==--==

Old January 3rd 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

dang I need to check in more often, hehehehe... so you like the monitor,
right?
==--== enlightened us with:

Old January 3rd 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

I Think I sent that last post too quick.

Lets compare all that our PC's have. you might have listed what you got
altogether, and I probably have at one time... But here it is

C2Duo e6400 chip
BFG Tech 7800gs-oc 256 (dang I forget to double check this, might been the
512 card, I wanted to go all out)
2 gig Corsair value select ddr1 400 ram
320 gig Hitachi HD as main, 100 gig as backup drive and D.

I was contemplating getting the New soundblaster X card at one point, just
because I keep hearing that the onboard sound (what is it, ALC888) on almost
all boards suck... but Im slowly being less than picky.

might get one of the
==--== enlightened us with:

Old January 3rd 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

I really like mine. The only gripe I can think of is the 1-year warranty,
and you can't buy the extended unless you got the monitor from Gateway
directly.

-Larry

Old January 3rd 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
==--==

Hi PB

Mine's as follow's;

C2Duo e64 (775 Dual VSTA)
ATi x800xl (agp) still quite a good card - 400/1000 gddr3
2 Gb (2x1) OCZ Dual Channel PC2-6400 (800mHz capable - running at 667)
Sata2 250 gig / coupl'a' 80 gig

I compared the onboard sound (5.1) vs. my SB Audigy2 ZS (7.1). I use 5.1
speaker setup and found the onboard to be equal to the Audigy. Whether my
ears suck - or mainboard sound chips are finally starting to be decent - but
I left the Aud out and am quite happily using the surround function of the
onboard RealTek - it sounds really good to me. FWIW

Per the GATEWAY fpd2185w
Well... I ~love~ the monitor, but sadly am looking at returning mine for
service. It had been working perfectly in DVI mode and the image was
fabulous! Just in the last month or so, I have been having some problems
with it and now the DVI does not seem to work and I am forced to run in VGA
mode It has also had a few (4 or 5) episodes of turning yellow - ala
old monitor failure. Not good. Anyway... I hope that it is something
unique to my unit and that I will get it repaired or replaced. P.S. - I did
get an extended warranty (whew! - 4 yrs) by purchasing it through Futureshop
(Canada).

Cheers
==--==

Old January 5th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Wew! Mine showed up yesterday, hooked it up last night... Well once again
I happy, but now I am thinking, damn I wish I had paid attention when people
were talking about settings... Loaded up NR03 at what is 1680x1050 I still
get 80 fps (down from 115 plus) so that is usable but now (not sure it
matters) my cockpit view is as if I was 4ft tall person (seat all the way
forward).

But here's what I wondering, GTL, & my machine, well it would load it, but I
wont run it at 1680x1050, as you may know you have to have high world detail
to get to see all the cones at to many tracks, that puts me back in the
sub30 fps just in practice, in my cup challenge (in d with 21 cars) so right
now Im running 1024x768 like I was, but it must be doing something because
it is full screen, and am I losing frames all over the place?

later. Love this monitor I hope my refurb'd one lasts a while, I didnt even
see a scratch on the bezel and I looked pretty hard, hopefully I got one
that was returned due to buyer/cash remorse, instead of actual problem.

==--== enlightened us with:

Old January 5th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
==--==

NR2003 widescreen; it has native support

==Method==
Run the config utility and select your resolution there. You may see an FOV
setting in the video menu. You do not need to touch this to make the game
hor +.

**( you might want to play with the HORIZONTAL setting a bit to suit your
taste )

==Supported resolutions==
Confirmed: 1280x720, 1280x768, 1280x800, 1440x900, 1680x1050
Unconfirmed: 1920x1080, and 1920x1200.

Check that Vsync is off. You may also find that you get the same or even
more fps when you run in the native res of the monitor ie: 1680x1050 ---
You might try 1440x900 for GTL

The fpd2185w supports 1680x1050 (native)
but also supports 1440x900, 1280x1024, 1152x864 and 1024x768

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/

This is a great resource for those older games - gives you information about
ini changes etc. to get widescreen from non-native supported games.

Cheers
==--==