UltraForce GS-1 G-Seat

Old December 15th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
news[_5_]

Default UltraForce GS-1 G-Seat

wrote:
> OK, so not everyone is thrilled with the appearance of the prototype!

not to slam your seat, but you did ask for comments, so here goes:

Ugly but works = good sales.
Sexy but doesn't work = good sales.
Sexy and works = great sales.

You need to add two more pads on the side for that cracked rib feeling
if you hit the wall. Seriously. Or at least to help feel the force of
cornering.

I'd also consider including race belts to strap you in so it's more
realistic.

But then, I'm a sucker for realism so I went and bought a real race car.
probably should have saved my money and bought this instead with the
way I go through parts.

Old December 15th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
news[_5_]

news wrote:
> I'd also consider including race belts to strap you in so it's more
> realistic.

ignore this part. I obviously didn't read all the way to the bottom
where you say
"The seat provides mounting points for an optional 3-point harness"

I still think the seat needs side "wings" for a little rib slamming fun.

Old December 15th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Plowboy wrote:
> What is the IETAG.dll that your site is trying to feed me, pdotson?

I don't know. That file is not present on my server. I created the
pages with MS Word. I'll look through the HTML for a reference to that
file name. The only thing I can guess is that it's related to the hit
counter I'm using.

I'll let you know what I find.

> I cannot seem to figure out how this chair moves? you moving all of the
> little pads on it?

Yes. Each pad can move independently. It's not just back-and-forth
vibration - it's precise movement in response to the G forces developed
by the simulation physics. When going around a corner in a real car,
your body slides sideways in the seat, which pulls the skin on your
back and posterior. The same thing happens when using this seat,
except that instead of your body sliding sideways, the pads will move
in the opposite direction, giving the same sensation of weight transfer
you get in a real car.

Plus, my patented method for integrating movements in the X,Y and Z
axes create realistic three dimensional motion cues. You feel forward
and rearward accelerations from stepping on the gas or braking, plus
you can feel the car start to move as you release the clutch. You also
feel the car get light as you go over the crest of a hill, or get heavy
as you hit tthe bottom of a dip in the road.

It's really unlike anything else currently available to consumers.
Military flight simulators have been using this type of technology for
years, but the movement has always been provided by a hydraulic or
pneumatic system - and comes with a military-sized price tag.

Pat Dotson

Old December 15th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Plowboy wrote:
> What is the IETAG.dll that your site is trying to feed me, pdotson?

That file is a Microsoft Office component. I don't know anything else
about it yet. Maybe it has something to do with fact that I used MS
Word to create the web pages.

I'll go through the code this evening to see where it's coming from.

Thanks,
Pat

Old December 15th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Osarenren wrote:
> I think the coMents are just based on initial reaction to the looks. in
> b this genre, aesthitics as well as functionality are applauded. people
> want something that looks like it came out of a race car for that
> immersion factor.

I agree. See what you think of the production model once it comes out.
It won't look like a race car since it's just a chair, but it will
look better than the prototype.

> I would also like to know. does the whole chair move like frex
> simconmotion, or is it just the motors a like i-vibe. the i-vibe has 6
> motors and is $259 but I don't think they actually move, just vibe..

Have you had a chance to read the review in Autosimsport? Lou Magyar
came to my house and tried the seat. The article has some good
information about how the seat works, plus his impressions of the
experience.

The chair frame does not move. Only the pads move. See my response to
Plowboy for more details. To summarize, each pad moves independently
recreate the sensations you feel while sliding around in a real car
seat. You get true 3D motion feedback on your back and posterior.

The I-Vibe seat cushion would actually complement the GS-1 nicely.
While the GS-1 is designed to provide lower frequency-high amplitude
handling force response, the TFS2 can create higher frequency
vibrations. I've talked to Craig about adding his hardware directly
to the pads in my seat. That may become an option in the future.
Everybody seems to be experiencing a bit of "sticker shock" at the
moment, so we'll have to see!

Pat Dotson
UltraForce Simulators
http://www.ultraforcesim.com

Old December 15th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Well, thanks p.

I wish I was near a place to try one, sounds pretty cool! good luck, maybe
you sell enough or I win the lottery and price wont matter, still seeing the
small image didnt look that bad. some people choose form over function...
not me, you should see the POS I drive daily...

enlightened us with:

Old December 15th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

wrote:
> R wrote:
>> Sounds extremely interesting, but the price seams way high at $3295 (US) .

> The materials required to build the GS-1 G-seat are expensive. For
> example, there are 14 individual motors driving the chair motion.
> Metal costs for the steel and aluminum tubing are also very high right
> now. I can't apologize for the price.
>
> This is definitely a high-end product, but it delivers high-end
> performance that isn't found anywhere else. I hope everyone will get a
> chance to try it eventually to see what it does - and how well it
> really works!
>
> Pat Dotson

My "criticism" of the price is not that I think that it is not worth
that amount, I just think it is a lot of money for a racing sim device.
It is certainly not in the price range of try and if you don't like
it, your only out a few bucks. Also, it needs to be supported to work
in all future sims to guarantee its value in the long run. That may be
the plan, but one never knows how things turn out.

As with most of these "add on" devices, there is usually no way to ever
try before you buy. That's not a criticism specifically of this
product, but just a general comment.

I hope this device is very successful so that so many are sold that the
price can come down and then I can buy one

seat back adjustment 1988 V8 model [email protected] Ford Mustang 1 March 9th 06 06:53 PM
Airbag light and thet Passenger Seat J Strickland BMW 3 August 15th 05 04:28 PM
Seat Back Twisted SteveG BMW 2 May 22nd 05 06:04 PM
Broken Seat release lever 3 Dr VW Golf [email protected] VW water cooled 0 April 6th 05 05:31 PM
2001 Accord Coupe Seat Covers scobby Honda 0 December 7th 04 07:53 PM