Need recommendation on a Car Cover for garage storage of Vette

Old October 26th 06, 12:15 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
dave

Default Need recommendation on a Car Cover for garage storage of Vette

Its time for the Vette to go into hybernation for the long Illinois
winter , and im wondering which Car Cover to get . Which do u have and
have you been happy with it ?

Thanks, Dave
2006 C6

Old October 26th 06, 04:34 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

dave wrote:
> Its time for the Vette to go into hybernation for the long Illinois
> winter , and im wondering which Car Cover to get . Which do u have and
> have you been happy with it ?
>
> Thanks, Dave
> 2006 C6

That's an easy one:

< http://www.coastcarcovers.com/Products.htm >

On the C4 I use an old flannelized poly drill from North Coast Tarpaulin
Works (before they changed their name). Inside as soft as an angel's
kiss. Slightly porous and I have to wisk dust off the car when you
remove it. This is a year-round indoor cover and I shake the garage
dust out of it every couple of months.

New cover that I use on the C5 is a "Dustop" from Coast Covers. A bit
less porous than the Tan Flannel. No need to provide measurements, just
give them the year & model.

--
PJ
'89 auto coupe, '02 6-spd coupe
Old October 26th 06, 07:24 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
WayneC

dave wrote:
> Its time for the Vette to go into hybernation for the long Illinois
> winter , and im wondering which Car Cover to get . Which do u have and
> have you been happy with it ?
>
> Thanks, Dave
> 2006 C6

Haven't used it on my Corvette, so I'm not sure they make one for a
2006, but the
best INDOOR cover I've owned (and heartily recommend) is a pricey soft
canvas one
with a soft flannel nap inside... luxurious; I've had it for at least a
dozen years and it's still
in very nice shape:

The Canvas Shop (Flint MI, I think)
800-345-3690 is the number I had for them

They made covers for a lot of the old classic cars of the 20's to 40's
and were well-known
in those circles. Mine is a camel brown, and I'm not sure if they
offered any choices in colors.
I don't think they have a website, although I did find this website for
a "Canvas Shoppe"
in Flint that specializes in outdoor boat covers...
http://www.skiboatcovers.com/
But they ONLY mention boat covers and don't show any soft canvas materials.
The website shows a slightly different 800 number, too (800-345-3670),
so possibly my
number is wrong, or perhaps they use a different number for cars than
for boats, or
maybe the company changed hands and now only does boats.
Old October 26th 06, 04:25 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

"dave" > wrote in message
> Its time for the Vette to go into hybernation for the long Illinois
> winter , and im wondering which Car Cover to get . Which do u have and
> have you been happy with it ?

I use a $50 cover made by Wolf Automotive that I bought from Eckler's.
Works fine for me.

http://www.global-accessories.com/carcovers/wolfcovers/

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Old October 26th 06, 04:51 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Bob G." > wrote in message
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:15:28 -0500, (dave)
> wrote:
>
>>Its time for the Vette to go into hybernation for the long Illinois
>>winter , and im wondering which Car Cover to get . Which do u have and
>>have you been happy with it ?
>>
>>Thanks, Dave
>>2006 C6

> =======================
> Dave:
> I had found that the liggtweight indoor covers sold
> by the chain auto stores (Pep Boys, Auto Zone etc) work as well as
> any...
> But to be truthful I have not even bothered to cover any of
> my cars in years during the winter... just a waste of time in my
> opinion...
>
> Bob G.
> 64 72 & 98 Convertibles
> 76 & 79 Coupes

Not a waste of time, how else would the mice clime up as easy as they do on a
cloth cover? Saves them the possibility of breaking their nails and also
provides them with cover that doubles as nesting material. Another plus is that
if a cat gets in there he/she is going to **** on it to mark it's territory. Cat
urine on a cloth pad stuck to a car finish is an awesome sight in the spring.
The good side to that is that if there are enough cats that **** on it the mice
won't come near it again.

Tis the season though when the plastic and aluminum cars are put away and the
tin cars are driven. What's up with that? Personally both my Corvettes get
driven all winter, with only salty, sloppy roads as an exception for enjoying
them all year long. The '72 will take me to the Halloween party since it is in
the country and the jerks normally stay in the cities with their soap bars.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old October 26th 06, 10:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

<RnR> wrote in message ...
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:15:28 -0500, (dave)
> wrote:
>
> Dave, first, I don't own a vette yet (but I'm thinking about it in my
> near retirement years) so you can take this post fwiw. But if I were
> to cover any car, I'd probably sew a couple of thin blankets
> (oversized) together to cover the car and then a large oversized
> plastic tarp on top of that. Then I'd just use say bricks to hold it
> down to the concrete (perhaps in the corners). I don't think you want
> this cover to be air tight and yes, I suppose mice could get in
> between layers. If that's a real concern, I guess you could sew the
> two together on the edges. But as some others suggested, I'm not sure
> covering up a car (months at a time) is a good thing (yeah I know
> others do it but just my gut instinct owning a lot of cars over the
> years). I'd probably only cover it with a plastic tarp temporarily if
> I was doing dusty type work around it.
>
> Now if you think my not owning a vette disqualifies me from answering
> your post, ok.

No plastic period! Regardless of what you think, moisture can form under the
plastic in the soft material and stick it to the surface. I have some pictures
of a C3 that was stored like that and when the cover came off so did the
original paint. Also spent a full day polishing out a maroon 2002 that had the
cat **** I mentioned. Covered a '69 Camaro with plastic a week after I painted
it and didn't get back to it for a few of hours after it rained on it (reason it
was covered) and that took hours and hours to fix.

I also knew a few guys that had lots of plans when they retired and did so toes
up. Quit talking about it and do it soon.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old October 26th 06, 11:08 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
RnR

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:05:08 -0400, "Dad" > wrote:

><RnR> wrote in message ...
>> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:15:28 -0500, (dave)
>> wrote:
>>
>> Dave, first, I don't own a vette yet (but I'm thinking about it in my
>> near retirement years) so you can take this post fwiw. But if I were
>> to cover any car, I'd probably sew a couple of thin blankets
>> (oversized) together to cover the car and then a large oversized
>> plastic tarp on top of that. Then I'd just use say bricks to hold it
>> down to the concrete (perhaps in the corners). I don't think you want
>> this cover to be air tight and yes, I suppose mice could get in
>> between layers. If that's a real concern, I guess you could sew the
>> two together on the edges. But as some others suggested, I'm not sure
>> covering up a car (months at a time) is a good thing (yeah I know
>> others do it but just my gut instinct owning a lot of cars over the
>> years). I'd probably only cover it with a plastic tarp temporarily if
>> I was doing dusty type work around it.
>>
>> Now if you think my not owning a vette disqualifies me from answering
>> your post, ok.

>No plastic period! Regardless of what you think, moisture can form under the
>plastic in the soft material and stick it to the surface. I have some pictures
>of a C3 that was stored like that and when the cover came off so did the
>original paint. Also spent a full day polishing out a maroon 2002 that had the
>cat **** I mentioned. Covered a '69 Camaro with plastic a week after I painted
>it and didn't get back to it for a few of hours after it rained on it (reason it
>was covered) and that took hours and hours to fix.
>
>I also knew a few guys that had lots of plans when they retired and did so toes
>up. Quit talking about it and do it soon.

I won't argue with you. I didn't like the idea of covering a car just
from my gut anyway except for a short time (1 day perhaps) when you
are doing dusty type work. Anyway, I'll shut up and let those
experienced speak <grin>.
Old October 26th 06, 11:38 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

<RnR> wrote in message ...
> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:05:08 -0400, "Dad" > wrote:
>>No plastic period! Regardless of what you think, moisture can form under the
>>plastic in the soft material and stick it to the surface. I have some pictures
>>of a C3 that was stored like that and when the cover came off so did the
>>original paint. Also spent a full day polishing out a maroon 2002 that had the
>>cat **** I mentioned. Covered a '69 Camaro with plastic a week after I painted
>>it and didn't get back to it for a few of hours after it rained on it (reason
>>it
>>was covered) and that took hours and hours to fix.
>>
>>I also knew a few guys that had lots of plans when they retired and did so
>>toes
>>up. Quit talking about it and do it soon.

> I won't argue with you. I didn't like the idea of covering a car just
> from my gut anyway except for a short time (1 day perhaps) when you
> are doing dusty type work. Anyway, I'll shut up and let those
> experienced speak <grin>.

No problem, and it was a good thought, just not what I have experienced YMMV
hopefully. Didn't mean to push you to be quiet about your thinking, just
expressing mine. A thin light cloth cover while doing dusty work is great, soft
and light won't scratch it when you remove the cover and was a good suggestion.

I saw one guy that had his car covered every time he closed the garage door. He
setup a network of pulleys and ropes to lower a cloth cover onto his car when
the garage door went down. I found it,,,,,,,,,, see, if you hadn't said
something all of this good information would never have been shared.

http://mikemercury.home.att.net/carcover.htm

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51