rFactor, is it just another F1C, GTR clone?

Old September 1st 05, 10:11 PM
Neil Charlton

Just to be perverse, I took the FIS onto that tiny oval. What a complete
blast! There's huge mileage in a CART or IRL sim.

With the exception of the trick dx9 bits, I'm underwhelmed by graphics in
general. At least they don't glitch like GTR. I never bother with AI so
can't comment. The replay system is still hopeless. I still can't believe
there's no surround sound - I really miss that. Found a telemetry program at
RSC so that's looking better. For the first time ever, I find myself
convinced by an ISI low speed grip model (only tried OW so far). It's
looking good from my perspective but it'll need quality tracks real soon to
stay in my affections. I'm really after Open Wheel and the track selection
isn't that good at the moment. I'll try to get stuck into some multiplayer
over the weekend - that'll make or break it for me.

Regards

Old September 1st 05, 10:29 PM
whooo

David G Fisher wrote:
> All you have to do is type ISI_BABYFACTORY in the chat screen and you have
> all the money you need to upgrade. Do it for both series.
>
> The F1 cars are awesome, and the fully upgraded Howston is nice too.

Do you know what a ***SPOILER*** is?
Old September 1st 05, 10:33 PM
David G Fisher

"whooo" > wrote in message
> David G Fisher wrote:
>> All you have to do is type ISI_BABYFACTORY in the chat screen and you
>> have all the money you need to upgrade. Do it for both series.
>>
>> The F1 cars are awesome, and the fully upgraded Howston is nice too.

> Do you know what a ***SPOILER*** is?

So now that you know the code, the game is going to read your mind and auto
unlock the cars whether you want it to or not??

The new gMotor game engine is more powerful than I thought. Sorry.

--
David G Fisher

Old September 1st 05, 10:41 PM
whooo

David G Fisher wrote:
> "whooo" > wrote in message
>
>>David G Fisher wrote:
>>
>>>All you have to do is type ***SPOILER REMOVED*** in the chat screen and you
>>>have all the money you need to upgrade. Do it for both series.
>>>
>>>The F1 cars are awesome, and the fully upgraded Howston is nice too.

>>Do you know what a ***SPOILER*** is?

> So now that you know the code, the game is going to read your mind and auto
> unlock the cars whether you want it to or not??
>
> The new gMotor game engine is more powerful than I thought. Sorry.

Well I'm weak willed, which is why I haven't read anything marked
'spoiler' regarding this issue
Old September 1st 05, 10:53 PM
Byron Forbes

The problem is the default AI set has the F1s in it. If you select only
the trainers, no problem. It's not my default!

Old September 2nd 05, 10:54 AM
Jeff Reid

> what issues are you having with the replay system? You can cut, edit,
> ff, back, set bookmarks, whatever. Doesn't seem that inferior to papy
> titles anymore.

You can also export to avi files which is cool, but ISI replays just don't
store enough data to recreate a run. The sounds like tire squeal aren't
there at all (F1C, GTR), or are rarely audible (rFactor), and often
out of sync (like gear changes). Gauges don't work at all. With an ISI
replay, there's no sense of how hard the driver was pushing his car.
I've made a lot of videos from racing games, and with an ISI game, I'm
forced to do a live capture.

The Papy based replays produce an identical (or near identical) reproduction
of a run. Need For Speed 2 through 5 were unique in that they stored
control inputs instead of telemetry (and ai persona info), so a replay
was an exact recreation of a race. Toca Race Driver 2 uses the same
control input method, (although a bit buggy, you need a clean run to get
a good replay with TRD2). Even a budget racer, like Ford Racing 2, which
can't save it's replays, still does do a good job of recreating a run
when viewing a replay (only saved in memory just after a race).

Old September 2nd 05, 10:54 AM
Remco Moedt

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:54:55 +0200, Uwe Schürkamp
> wrote:

>On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 21:11:33 +0000 (UTC), Neil Charlton wrote:
>> can't comment. The replay system is still hopeless. I still can't believe

>Hey Neil,
>
>what issues are you having with the replay system? You can cut, edit,
>ff, back, set bookmarks, whatever. Doesn't seem that inferior to papy
>titles anymore.

Hmmm, watch a rFactor replay, then watch a GTP replay....the graphics
regarding tracks are outstanding in rFactor, but the car looks more
realistic in GTP.

Cheers!

Remco

Old September 2nd 05, 02:18 PM
Neil Charlton

"Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 21:11:33 +0000 (UTC), Neil Charlton wrote:
>> can't comment. The replay system is still hopeless. I still can't believe

> Hey Neil,
>
> what issues are you having with the replay system? You can cut, edit,
> ff, back, set bookmarks, whatever. Doesn't seem that inferior to papy
> titles anymore.
>
> Cheers, uwe
>
> --
> GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61

I think Jeff very concisely lists my concerns in his response. No biggie but
in terms of accurate portrayal it's still years behind Papy. Yes it will
export to avi as long has you have several weeks and 2 Gb available for each
lap. Like I said, It's not a show-stopper just weak.

Regards

Old September 2nd 05, 04:51 PM
Steve Whitty

if you change the codec for the vid export to say DivX, 5 minutes and
roughly 10meg for a lap.

cheers
steve

Old September 2nd 05, 06:53 PM
Donj Scurlock

Uwe =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sch=FCrkamp?= > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 11:54:30 +0200, Remco Moedt wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm, watch a rFactor replay, then watch a GTP replay....the graphics
>> regarding tracks are outstanding in rFactor, but the car looks more
>> realistic in GTP.
>>

> I think one of the major gripes people were having with ISI replays in
> the past is their inadequacy for league / incident review and not
> graphical quality, and I think it's much easier to handle replays in
> rFactor then any other ISI title I've seen.
>
> cheers, uwe

I watch replays mostly to study faster drivers laps, my own driving, and
league incident reviews.
Unless I've missed something(highly likely) there's no way to know what
driver your watching, what lap he's on, or what the lap time is.

Don