'93 Voyager rear hubs, pressed into drums?

Old April 9th 05, 07:31 PM
SBlackfoot

Default '93 Voyager rear hubs, pressed into drums?

Quick question. Are the rear drums and hubs pressed together, or are they
slip-fit pieces like the front rotors on the front hubs? I ask because the
new drums didn't come with the hubs and I don't have tools to press them
apart and back together in the garage.

Old April 9th 05, 10:03 PM
maxpower

"SBlackfoot" > wrote in message
> Quick question. Are the rear drums and hubs pressed together, or are they
> slip-fit pieces like the front rotors on the front hubs? I ask because the
> new drums didn't come with the hubs and I don't have tools to press them
> apart and back together in the garage.

If I remember correctly you can get after maket drums, they come without the
hubs, Chrysler sells the complete drum and hub together

Old April 9th 05, 11:34 PM
SBlackfoot

> If I remember correctly you can get after maket drums, they come without
the
> hubs, Chrysler sells the complete drum and hub together

Well I already have the drums without hubs. I'm just wondering if I need to
actually press the hubs out of the old drums or if I can expect them to slip
apart with a good hammer and decent penetrating oil. Any idea?

Old April 10th 05, 12:38 AM
aarcuda69062

In article >,
"SBlackfoot" > wrote:

> > If I remember correctly you can get after maket drums, they come without

> the
> > hubs, Chrysler sells the complete drum and hub together

> Well I already have the drums without hubs. I'm just wondering if I need to
> actually press the hubs out of the old drums or if I can expect them to slip
> apart with a good hammer and decent penetrating oil. Any idea?

You'll need to knock all ten studs out, switch the hubs to the
new drums and then press in ten NEW studs.
The studs may also need to be swaged, this will be more apparent
once the studs are back in place if there is a significant amount
of the stud shoulder sticking past the drum.

Sounds like you'll be better off returning the aftermarket drums
and going OEM.
Old April 10th 05, 03:25 AM
SBlackfoot

> You'll need to knock all ten studs out, switch the hubs to the
> new drums and then press in ten NEW studs.
> The studs may also need to be swaged, this will be more apparent
> once the studs are back in place if there is a significant amount
> of the stud shoulder sticking past the drum.
>
> Sounds like you'll be better off returning the aftermarket drums
> and going OEM.

Considering how much OEM parts would cost I think I'll try to find a pair of
decent hubs/drums at the yard, press the drums off at work, and use the
aftermarket drums. That'd be more fun than taking the easy way out too. lol

Old April 10th 05, 11:24 AM
maxpower

"SBlackfoot" > wrote in message
> > If I remember correctly you can get after maket drums, they come without

> the
> > hubs, Chrysler sells the complete drum and hub together

> Well I already have the drums without hubs. I'm just wondering if I need

> actually press the hubs out of the old drums or if I can expect them to

slip
> apart with a good hammer and decent penetrating oil. Any idea?

Just do as aarcuda says, that is how they are assembled

Old April 10th 05, 02:17 PM
mic canic

gee i have always been able to pound out the hub without removing the lugs

Old April 10th 05, 03:17 PM
aarcuda69062

In article >,
mic canic > wrote:

> gee i have always been able to pound out the hub without removing the lugs

Please paint a big fluorescent red X on the front, sides and rear
of the vehicles that you do this to.
Old April 10th 05, 03:20 PM
aarcuda69062

In article >,
"SBlackfoot" > wrote:

> > You'll need to knock all ten studs out, switch the hubs to the
> > new drums and then press in ten NEW studs.
> > The studs may also need to be swaged, this will be more apparent
> > once the studs are back in place if there is a significant amount
> > of the stud shoulder sticking past the drum.
> >
> > Sounds like you'll be better off returning the aftermarket drums
> > and going OEM.

> Considering how much OEM parts would cost I think I'll try to find a pair of
> decent hubs/drums at the yard, press the drums off at work, and use the
> aftermarket drums. That'd be more fun than taking the easy way out too. lol

If you have excess to a press, it shouldn't be a big deal then...

But I don't understand why you're procuring the second set of
hubs from the boneyard.
Old April 10th 05, 04:57 PM
SBlackfoot

> If you have excess to a press, it shouldn't be a big deal then...
>
> But I don't understand why you're procuring the second set of
> hubs from the boneyard.

Well if I find a second set of hubs I can prepare the assemblies ahead of
time and install them immediately after removing the old ones, rather than
leaving the van sitting in the driveway on jackstands while I dart into work
to **** around with the old drums. Of course I have Friday off so I may have
time to do exactly that.