Invitee's, start your engines!

Old June 28th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
The Coward Robert Ford

Default Invitee's, start your engines!

jason moyer > wrote in
:

> Are you familiar with the racing that's modelled so far? One of the
> next updates will be pitstops, but none of the series currently
> available have pitstops in real life anyway.

Yea, thanks for reminding me why I am not interested in racing a Solstice.
Old June 28th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
The Coward Robert Ford

"Mario Petrinovich" > wrote in
:

> It looks like some folks here (I presume they are younger)
> have the
> impression that Kraemmer never heard of pit stops and online racing
> before,

Don't make assumptions about people you don't know. I used to drive Papyrus
sims going back to their first Indycar and Nascar sims. Always liked their
Indycar sims better so don't understand why they allowed themselves to be
forced to do Nascar almost exclusively.
Old June 28th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Alan Bernardo[_5_]

> Whew..........what a piece of work.
>
> http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d.../trolltech.gif

I was not trolling, my kind friend. I was just making an observation, which
I think generally is true. Take a look at all the folks racing the ovals
and then gander at those running the solstice and the road courses.

I was in an iracing chat room the other day, and a guy popped in and said--

"Man, I ran Lime Rock with the Solstice for quite a while and only added a
few ratings' points. I'm going back to the ovals."

While I am in no way saying that everyone is like this-- taking the easy way
out-- it is generally always been the case, not only for Americans (I can
speak only for Americans, as I am one), but also others in other countries.
I like the Legend car, but running in circles sometimes to me is pointless,
though at times I do it myself. I always return to the road courses,
however. They are more challenging, and running a good lap at Lime Rock is
much more satisfying than circling an oval for countless hours.

This is not an observation that is all-inclusive, obviously. If you don't
think it is generally true, you just might be the kind of person who takes
the easy way out.

Alan

Old June 28th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Alan Bernardo[_5_]

"The Coward Robert Ford" > wrote in message
> "Mario Petrinovich" > wrote in
> :
>
>> It looks like some folks here (I presume they are younger)
>> have the
>> impression that Kraemmer never heard of pit stops and online racing
>> before,

> Don't make assumptions about people you don't know. I used to drive
> Papyrus
> sims going back to their first Indycar and Nascar sims. Always liked
> their
> Indycar sims better so don't understand why they allowed themselves to be
> forced to do Nascar almost exclusively.

I think for one the reason they might have done it is that it is much easier
to jump on an oval and stay afloat. It gets people on the service. But
there is the Solstice and the Barber F2000 and the Mazda F1 car. It
certainly more of a mixture than solely Nascar.

I think iRacing is a nice service, and has been done pretty well.

Alan

Old June 29th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jason moyer[_2_]

On Jun 28, 10:49*am, "Alan Bernardo" >
wrote:
> But I do find the Legend car quite at times monotonous on
> the ovals.

I'm assuming you mean the Rookie Legend? Remember that car has a rev
limiter at 8000, so you're not getting anywhere near the power the car
is capable of. Try the Adv Legend with decent gearing, imho it's
harder to drive than the Lame Model (and heaps more fun, too).

> Americans,
> with cell phones, text messaging, and Reality TV (add a thousand other
> things) do not have the patience (IMO) for the road courses, and so jump
> right into the ovals. *If something can't be done relatively easily in two
> minutes, Americans go to something that can be picked up in an instance,
> lile coloring by numbers. *

Ya, we're all dumb. Good thing Mark Donohue, Dan Gurney, and Mario
Andretti were in their primes before everyone had ADD, wot.
Old June 29th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jason moyer[_2_]

On Jun 28, 1:43*pm, The Coward Robert Ford > wrote:

> Don't make assumptions about people you don't know. I used to drive Papyrus
> sims going *back to their first Indycar and Nascar sims. Always liked their
> Indycar sims better so don't understand why they allowed themselves to be
> forced to do Nascar almost exclusively.

It's the only license their publisher would pay for after the disaster
of GPL.

Old June 30th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Alan Bernardo[_5_]

wrote:
> But I do find the Legend car quite at times monotonous on
> the ovals.

I'm assuming you mean the Rookie Legend? Remember that car has a rev
limiter at 8000, so you're not getting anywhere near the power the car
is capable of. Try the Adv Legend with decent gearing, imho it's
harder to drive than the Lame Model (and heaps more fun, too).

> Americans,
> with cell phones, text messaging, and Reality TV (add a thousand other
> things) do not have the patience (IMO) for the road courses, and so jump
> right into the ovals. If something can't be done relatively easily in two
> minutes, Americans go to something that can be picked up in an instance,
> lile coloring by numbers.

>Ya, we're all dumb. Good thing Mark Donohue, Dan Gurney, and Mario
>Andretti were in their primes before everyone had ADD, wot.

Yeah, I ran the advanced Legend. I wish they could run some sessions that
include a road course or two. I just can't forever sink myself into the
immersion of circling a .035 mile oval countless times.

The Solstice with Laguna Seca was really tortuous at first but got more
interesting as I started to learn the track. I must have spent four hours
or so on it, my rating rising maybe .50 in that time. With the Legends, it
took me two hours maximum to get an over "3" rating.

(I might add, that my times at Laguna are still very slow.)

But again generally people these days have very little patience. It has
probably always been this way but there is little doubt that watching 15
hours of TV a day for five years has to have some sort of effect. (Okay, so
15 hours is a bit high; but 8 is certainly not.)

Alan

Old June 30th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Not yet. It's coming.

What YOU are missing is some really great racing though... Even a slow fart
like me is having fun.

-Larry

Old July 1st 08, 01:04 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Uwe Schürkamp

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:44:05 -0400, Larry wrote:
> Not yet. It's coming.
>
> What YOU are missing is some really great racing though... Even a slow fart
> like me is having fun.
>
> -Larry

First reports from some of my buddies haven't been good though, they
mentioned getting rammed up the rear and receiving five incident
points for something they weren't even in a position to avoid. From
what I've heard they don't plan to extend beyond the first month or
so, at least not for the moment.

Also, they seem to hate the incident system as much as I do / did, so
it's kind of comforting I'm not alone on this one ;-) We've discussed
the issue on our mailing list, and maybe an adaptive incident system
that gets a bit more lenient and sophisticated as you progress from
the lower classes might be the way to go.

All the best, Uwe

Old July 1st 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Uwe Schürkamp wrote:

> Also, they seem to hate the incident system as much as I do / did, so
> it's kind of comforting I'm not alone on this one ;-) We've discussed
> the issue on our mailing list, and maybe an adaptive incident system
> that gets a bit more lenient and sophisticated as you progress from
> the lower classes might be the way to go.

I posted this up at RSC:

The most common misconception when starting iRacing is that the incident
system is being too severe. Stick half the car off the track, have a
spin, or get entangled in someone elses accident and the incident points
will appear on your screen.

In the early days it can be easy to become obsessed with safety ratings
as this is what determines your licence advancement. Note that
performance in races is measured in your irating - the two are
completely independent.

You will therefore see drivers complaining they cannot race through fear
of damaging their safety rating.

In reality the safety rating is quire lenient and you can have several
incidents and still improve your rating if the rest of the laps are
clean. Drive off track to avoid a spinner, get spun around from behind,
these are not the end of the world if most laps are clean.

What it will hold back are over aggressive drivers regulary going off
track or having accidents and new drivers venturing into sims for the
first time who struggle to complete a lap. We all have to learn sometime
and it can just as frustrating for the newbies being intimidated by fast
experienced sim racers as it can getting held up behind the new drivers.
Limiting the advancement for these two groups makes sense.

For the clean racer who has experience of online racing advancing will
be a breeze.

As drivers get used to the system in practice the concerns melt away and
the real issue of losing track position and time through an incident
take priority over safety rating obsession.

The system has been developed over a considerable amount of time but its
does take a little while to believe in it.

Think of it as the stewards noting your little off. Most times nothing
will be said but if you get their attention too regularly in a race they
will pull you in for a word.

Regardless of experience everyone starts from the same position in
iracing and has to earn their licence. This comes a bit of a shock for a
seasoned sim racer but it doesn't take long and the faster cars will be
available.

Cheers
Tony