The Pits NASCAR/rFactor Mod Released

Old February 13th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin

Default The Pits NASCAR/rFactor Mod Released

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I use the minimum in rFactor - 35 degrees. I wish it would go lower!
>
> When I was down at Sinden Racing with my simulator, I was leaning over
> the show car in an attempt to gauge how much the real car filled up my
> peripheral vision. Do you know what I mean? Like, looking at the two
> front wheels with my head in the position where the driver would be,
> how wide was the angle between the front tires...
>
> I can say that even at 35 degrees FOV with the X-Race mod and TH2Go,
> the on-screen IRL car fills up less of my view than the real car did.
> I'd like to be able to make the simulation match real life in my own
> FOV. That seems like the ultimate in realism to me.
>
> So my question is, is it possible to reduce the FOV further in
> rFactor? I haven't tried editing files yet. The menu won't go below
> 35.
>
> Pat

I don't know if it can be set lower, but it should be. A stock car is even
worse. Sitting in a late model with a full-face helmet and HANS device
attached you can barely see the very front part of the side windows. That is
why most drivers now use the little mirrors attached to the front windshield
posts and wider angled rear-view mirrors.

Ed

Old February 13th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

On Feb 13, 10:52 am, TimW > wrote:
> I'm having issues with steering with this mod. Using my TSW2, fresh
> from a factory USB upgrade. Have the digital steering at the default
> 20%. I've tried steering lock adjustments from 5 to 30. There is a bit
> of "wandering" going down the straights, although not as much as the
> previous attempts at this mod. Heading into the turns at Daytona using
> the setup provided by the pits, the car seems to have unusual
> steering response. Barely turn the wheel and you're down on the apron.
> Correct to the right and you're headed for the wall.
>
> Anyone else experiencing this?

Not really for me. The steering seems fine for me.

I don't think the digital rate setting does anything if you are using
a wheel or joystick. I think the digital rate only affects keyboard
controls.

There is another setting that might help your situation. I believe
it's called steering sensitivity. 50% is essentially 1-to-1 linear
response between your steering wheel and the in-game steering wheel.
Lower numbers will flatten out response around the center of steering
lock. Try lowering sensitivity to 20% and you should get smoother
response in a straight line.

I like to keep sensitivity at 50%, because otherwise the non-linear
response of the steering makes it hard to control the car in slides or
in turns with differing radii. But, 50% is pretty sensitive if you
aren't used to it. I just reduce steering lock until it becomes
comfortable. A G25 with 900 degrees of rotation comes in real handy
for this. You can run high sensitivity with high steering lock, have
comfortable steering, and still get out of a crowded pit stall.

Pat Dotson

Old February 13th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rqk

With this mod and the TH2GO, the sides of the in car view aren't
completed far enough back. In other words when you look far left you
see through the window without the window net because it doesn't extend
that far back. On the right side, you see past the right head pad
because it isn't drawn far enough back. Should be an easy fix if the
folks at The Pits are aware of it. It is a fun mod though .

Old February 14th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
RickSweeney

I meant how many tracks for the Pits...

Old February 14th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dave F

I think the Pits released 5 with the mod, but are planning on releasing all
of the tracks for the full season pretty soon.

--
David G Fisher

nk.net...

Old February 14th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Darus

On Feb 13, 10:52 am, TimW > wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:05:24 -0500, "Dave F" > wrote:
> >http://www.thepits.us/board/viewtopic.php?t=8621

> I'm having issues with steering with this mod. Using my TSW2, fresh
> from a factory USB upgrade. Have the digital steering at the default
> 20%. I've tried steering lock adjustments from 5 to 30. There is a bit
> of "wandering" going down the straights, although not as much as the
> previous attempts at this mod. Heading into the turns at Daytona using
> the setup provided by the pits, the car seems to have unusual
> steering response. Barely turn the wheel and you're down on the apron.
> Correct to the right and you're headed for the wall.
>
> Anyone else experiencing this?
>
> TimW
>
> www.nasscar.com

Same deal here and it almost resulted in my abandoning TPSCC. Here's
what I did. Bearing in mind that I "discovered" this late and had to
go to work, and as such, it has not been fully tested and/or tweaked.
It DID smooth out the steering, especially at Dayto....Florida. I
don't have the game running right now, so I'll give you the two things
that I changed. If you need further help or the rest of my settings,
please email or post back here. I won't be able to get the info until
Thursday however. Sorry...

Go to the controller section. Set digital steering to 100%. Go to the
axis' tab and set the steering axis sensitivity to 25%. That's it. YOu
want to play around with the sensitivity setting. I intend to try a
range between 20-35 when I get the chance. Has it set to 100% and
dropped it to 50%. That was still too "loose" for me, so I went to
25%.

Not sure if the digital steering slider is even needed to be adjusted
(again, still testing this whole deal). I ran a couple PB laps at Fla
with this setup and was able to hold straight and true line similar
those I ran in NR2003. With the setups, I am using a range of steering
ratios, but pretty much 19.0-22.0.

Finally, my rig: TSW2 with rewired USB connection (not the Rockfire
adapter). 13" wheel (this may mean my numbers will differ than what
you need if you have a smaller wheel).

Good luck!

Old February 15th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Robert Jordan

Darus wrote:
> On Feb 13, 10:52 am, TimW > wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:05:24 -0500, "Dave F" > wrote:
>>> http://www.thepits.us/board/viewtopic.php?t=8621

>> I'm having issues with steering with this mod. Using my TSW2, fresh
>> from a factory USB upgrade. Have the digital steering at the default
>> 20%. I've tried steering lock adjustments from 5 to 30. There is a bit
>> of "wandering" going down the straights, although not as much as the
>> previous attempts at this mod. Heading into the turns at Daytona using
>> the setup provided by the pits, the car seems to have unusual
>> steering response. Barely turn the wheel and you're down on the apron.
>> Correct to the right and you're headed for the wall.
>>
>> Anyone else experiencing this?
>>
>> TimW
>>
>> www.nasscar.com

> Same deal here and it almost resulted in my abandoning TPSCC. Here's
> what I did. Bearing in mind that I "discovered" this late and had to
> go to work, and as such, it has not been fully tested and/or tweaked.
> It DID smooth out the steering, especially at Dayto....Florida. I
> don't have the game running right now, so I'll give you the two things
> that I changed. If you need further help or the rest of my settings,
> please email or post back here. I won't be able to get the info until
> Thursday however. Sorry...
>
> Go to the controller section. Set digital steering to 100%. Go to the
> axis' tab and set the steering axis sensitivity to 25%. That's it. YOu
> want to play around with the sensitivity setting. I intend to try a
> range between 20-35 when I get the chance. Has it set to 100% and
> dropped it to 50%. That was still too "loose" for me, so I went to
> 25%.
>
> Not sure if the digital steering slider is even needed to be adjusted
> (again, still testing this whole deal). I ran a couple PB laps at Fla
> with this setup and was able to hold straight and true line similar
> those I ran in NR2003. With the setups, I am using a range of steering
> ratios, but pretty much 19.0-22.0.
>
> Finally, my rig: TSW2 with rewired USB connection (not the Rockfire
> adapter). 13" wheel (this may mean my numbers will differ than what
> you need if you have a smaller wheel).
>
> Good luck!

Thanks Darus, that solved my steering issues with Rfactor....

Nascarob