Phew!

Old August 29th 05, 03:17 PM
Scott en Aztlán

Default Phew!

Now that 30% of the oil production in this country has been shut down
for an indeterminate period of time by Hurricane Katrina, I'm
*especially* glad that I bought a house within easy walking distance
of shopping and public transit. Looks like gas prices are prepared to
spike way WAY up from their already record highs. Gosh, it would
really SUCK to be 100% dependent on my automobiles right about now...

Old August 30th 05, 12:14 AM
James C. Reeves

Being in a warm winter climate is a good thing for you too. Most of us will
pay nearly double last year's cost to heat our homes. I pre-purchased a
season worth of fuel oil for just under $2.20/gallon a couple of weeks back.
I hear market is in the $2.50 today (already). Plus I'm starting with a
full tank to boot that I bought for about $1.85 last spring.

Also, I noticed that the "fuel" component of the electric bill has spiked as
well.

Old August 30th 05, 04:43 PM
Dave

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> Now that 30% of the oil production in this country has been shut down
> for an indeterminate period of time by Hurricane Katrina, I'm
> *especially* glad that I bought a house within easy walking distance
> of shopping and public transit. Looks like gas prices are prepared to
> spike way WAY up from their already record highs. Gosh, it would
> really SUCK to be 100% dependent on my automobiles right about now...

Good thing you're close to the stores, where prices will rise to
compensate for the extra cost of getting goods to them. And I'm sure
your employer won't feel the pinch from higher costs for airline
tickets, mileage reimbursment, etc. If they need to bring a service
tech in, I'm sure he'll raise his prices a little to cover his gas
costs too.

Then there's the taxes that'll be going up. Police cars, school
busses, fire trucks, street sweepers, etc all use a lot of gas. Those
busses that get 4-6 mpg will have their costs raise significantly also.

Then keep in mind the petrolium used in the making of plastics,
generation of electricity, and all the other fun things I didn't bother
to list.

But hey, at least these gas prices don't affect you.

Dave

Old August 30th 05, 06:35 PM
Dan J.S.

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> Now that 30% of the oil production in this country has been shut down
> for an indeterminate period of time by Hurricane Katrina, I'm
> *especially* glad that I bought a house within easy walking distance
> of shopping and public transit. Looks like gas prices are prepared to
> spike way WAY up from their already record highs. Gosh, it would
> really SUCK to be 100% dependent on my automobiles right about now...

E-85 fuel is still $1.95/gallon by my house... went up 6 cents within the
last 4 weeks...

Old August 31st 05, 12:05 AM
James C. Reeves

"Dan J.S." > wrote in message

> "Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
>> Now that 30% of the oil production in this country has been shut down
>> for an indeterminate period of time by Hurricane Katrina, I'm
>> *especially* glad that I bought a house within easy walking distance
>> of shopping and public transit. Looks like gas prices are prepared to
>> spike way WAY up from their already record highs. Gosh, it would
>> really SUCK to be 100% dependent on my automobiles right about now...
>>

> E-85 fuel is still $1.95/gallon by my house... went up 6 cents within the
> last 4 weeks...

The engine in my wife's Stratus is E-85 rated. But, none can be found here
to buy. Saw several stations today with $3.00+ regular

Old August 31st 05, 05:26 AM
Scott en Aztlán

On 30 Aug 2005 08:43:28 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:

>Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>> Now that 30% of the oil production in this country has been shut down
>> for an indeterminate period of time by Hurricane Katrina, I'm
>> *especially* glad that I bought a house within easy walking distance
>> of shopping and public transit. Looks like gas prices are prepared to
>> spike way WAY up from their already record highs. Gosh, it would
>> really SUCK to be 100% dependent on my automobiles right about now...
>>

>Good thing you're close to the stores, where prices will rise to
>compensate for the extra cost of getting goods to them.

True, but irrelevant. All you dorks who are paying $100 to fill up
your SUVs will be paying higher grocery prices, too. My total costs
will still be less than yours.

>But hey, at least these gas prices don't affect you.

I never made that claim.

OTOH, I bet you my fuel bills this month will be a LOT less than
yours.

Old August 31st 05, 06:20 AM
Dave

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> On 30 Aug 2005 08:43:28 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
>

> >Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> >> Now that 30% of the oil production in this country has been shut down
> >> for an indeterminate period of time by Hurricane Katrina, I'm
> >> *especially* glad that I bought a house within easy walking distance
> >> of shopping and public transit. Looks like gas prices are prepared to
> >> spike way WAY up from their already record highs. Gosh, it would
> >> really SUCK to be 100% dependent on my automobiles right about now...
> >>

> >Good thing you're close to the stores, where prices will rise to
> >compensate for the extra cost of getting goods to them.

> True, but irrelevant. All you dorks who are paying $100 to fill up
> your SUVs will be paying higher grocery prices, too. My total costs
> will still be less than yours.

What SUV?

> >But hey, at least these gas prices don't affect you.

> I never made that claim.
>
> OTOH, I bet you my fuel bills this month will be a LOT less than
> yours.

Honda Civic, about 35 mpg. I buy a lot of gas for it, but I drive it
25,000 mi/year. (And I get mileage back on much of that.) Gas prices
don't directly effect me a ton, but they do effect the entire economy
including me.

This won't just be a short spike this time, this is a trend that's been
waiting to happen for years.

Dave

Old August 31st 05, 06:52 AM
Scott en Aztlán

On 30 Aug 2005 22:20:44 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:

>Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>> >Good thing you're close to the stores, where prices will rise to
>> >compensate for the extra cost of getting goods to them.

>> True, but irrelevant. All you dorks who are paying $100 to fill up
>> your SUVs will be paying higher grocery prices, too. My total costs
>> will still be less than yours.

>What SUV?

OK, so I took a SWAG.

>> >But hey, at least these gas prices don't affect you.

>> I never made that claim.
>>
>> OTOH, I bet you my fuel bills this month will be a LOT less than
>> yours.

>Honda Civic, about 35 mpg. I buy a lot of gas for it, but I drive it
>25,000 mi/year. (And I get mileage back on much of that.) Gas prices
>don't directly effect me a ton, but they do effect the entire economy
>including me.

Of course. My point was simply that people who are not 100% dependent
upon their automobiles will be affected less than those who are.

>This won't just be a short spike this time, this is a trend that's been
>waiting to happen for years.

Fine by me. Gas prices have been so low for so long we've become
completely and utterly spoiled. It's also made us dependent on
imported oil, a situation that is extremely bad for us. A little dose
of reality will only do this country good, and just maybe it will help
spur the development of alternate sources of energy and help remove
our national balls from the slimy grip of the oil sheiks.

Old August 31st 05, 04:48 PM
Brent P

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> Fine by me. Gas prices have been so low for so long we've become
> completely and utterly spoiled. It's also made us dependent on
> imported oil, a situation that is extremely bad for us. A little dose
> of reality will only do this country good, and just maybe it will help
> spur the development of alternate sources of energy and help remove
> our national balls from the slimy grip of the oil sheiks.

Hey, could always make friends with Alberta instead...

http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/bu..._107308_107308

"The National Energy Board estimates there are approximately 1.6 trillion
barrels of crude bitumen saturating the ground in northern Alberta.
Bitumen -- a form of heavy, thick oil laden with sulphur and deficient in
hydrogen -- can be refined into synthetic crude oil to make everything
from gasoline to plastics."

<...>

"According to the Alberta Energy and Utilities Board, about 178 billion
barrels of bitumen are economically recoverable using existing technology
-- enough to produce more than 150 billion barrels of crude."

"If these estimates are accurate, Canada's oil reserves rank second
behind only Saudi Arabia's 260 billion barrels. And there are many who
believe the current oil sands assessments understate the true potential
here. The AEUB has projected that rising prices and improved technology
could ultimately push the oil sands yield close to 300 billion barrels,
which would make it the richest petroleum field in the world."

And given this:

"If these estimates are accurate, Canada's oil reserves rank second
behind only Saudi Arabia's 260 billion barrels. And there are many who
believe the current oil sands assessments understate the true potential
here. The AEUB has projected that rising prices and improved technology
could ultimately push the oil sands yield close to 300 billion barrels,
which would make it the richest petroleum field in the world. "

Alberta sounds a lot better to be friends with than Arab monarchies,
theocracies and dictatorships.

Old August 31st 05, 05:29 PM
C. E. White

wrote:

> > Fine by me. Gas prices have been so low for so long we've become
> > completely and utterly spoiled. It's also made us dependent on
> > imported oil, a situation that is extremely bad for us. A little dose
> > of reality will only do this country good, and just maybe it will help
> > spur the development of alternate sources of energy and help remove
> > our national balls from the slimy grip of the oil sheiks.

> Hey, could always make friends with Alberta instead...

http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/bu..._107308_107308

> "The National Energy Board estimates there are approximately 1.6 trillion
> barrels of crude bitumen saturating the ground in northern Alberta.
> Bitumen -- a form of heavy, thick oil laden with sulphur and deficient in
> hydrogen -- can be refined into synthetic crude oil to make everything
> from gasoline to plastics."
>
> <...>
>
> "According to the Alberta Energy and Utilities Board, about 178 billion
> barrels of bitumen are economically recoverable using existing technology
> -- enough to produce more than 150 billion barrels of crude."
>
> "If these estimates are accurate, Canada's oil reserves rank second
> behind only Saudi Arabia's 260 billion barrels. And there are many who
> believe the current oil sands assessments understate the true potential
> here. The AEUB has projected that rising prices and improved technology
> could ultimately push the oil sands yield close to 300 billion barrels,
> which would make it the richest petroleum field in the world."
>

> And given this:
>
> "If these estimates are accurate, Canada's oil reserves rank second
> behind only Saudi Arabia's 260 billion barrels. And there are many who
> believe the current oil sands assessments understate the true potential
> here. The AEUB has projected that rising prices and improved technology
> could ultimately push the oil sands yield close to 300 billion barrels,
> which would make it the richest petroleum field in the world. "
>
> Alberta sounds a lot better to be friends with than Arab monarchies,
> theocracies and dictatorships.

Problem is, at least until now, the Arab monarchies have had the ability to
delay the development of alternate sources of petroleum (tar sands, shale
oil, coal liquefaction) by opening the taps on their oil wells. If the US
government wasn't run by the oil industry (at least the energy policy
component of the government), we could have encouraged the development of
these alternate energy sources in an orderly manner by selectively taxing
imported oil. I have seen it estimated that the US has 62,000,000,000 metric
tons of potential oil reserves in oil shale. Of course getting it out will
be a problem.During the oil shocks of the 70's several companies invested
heavily in developing techniques for extracting oil from shale, but these
programs mostly atrophied in the face of low cost imported oil and
environmental objections.

Ed