Welcome to North Korea

Old August 31st 05, 05:17 AM
Scott en Aztlán

Default Welcome to North Korea

Following Hawaii's lead, lawmakers in the rest of the country are
being pressured to put a cap on gasoline prices. Not only is this
flying in the face of the who capitalist market-based economic system,
but if gas prices are kept artificially low what incentive will the
avergae SUV-driving moron have to conserve? What incentive will
business have to develop alternative fuels? All price caps will do is
increase our dependence on foreign oil.

Here's hoping the politicians have the BRAINS and the BALLS not to
cave in to the pressure from their dumbass constituents.

Old August 31st 05, 02:35 PM
Larry Bud

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> Following Hawaii's lead, lawmakers in the rest of the country are
> being pressured to put a cap on gasoline prices. Not only is this
> flying in the face of the who capitalist market-based economic system,
> but if gas prices are kept artificially low what incentive will the
> avergae SUV-driving moron have to conserve? What incentive will
> business have to develop alternative fuels? All price caps will do is
> increase our dependence on foreign oil.

Conservation would be the least of our problems with price caps.
Nobody will sell a product in which they lose money on. Therefore,
there wouldn't be any gas at the stations.

Old August 31st 05, 03:55 PM
John S.

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> Following Hawaii's lead, lawmakers in the rest of the country are
> being pressured to put a cap on gasoline prices. Not only is this
> flying in the face of the who capitalist market-based economic system,
> but if gas prices are kept artificially low what incentive will the
> avergae SUV-driving moron have to conserve? What incentive will
> business have to develop alternative fuels? All price caps will do is
> increase our dependence on foreign oil.
>
> Here's hoping the politicians have the BRAINS and the BALLS not to
> cave in to the pressure from their dumbass constituents.

The politicians should go back and read up on the wage and price
controls that Nixon attempted to enforce. Unless the politicians in
Hawaii (and elsewhere) have decided to take control of the gasoline
production system the gasoline will be sold somewhere at the market
price. This is little more than an attempt by politicians to make the
electorate think they are really doing something. It could backfire by
causing shortages.