Smok'n '008

Old August 16th 07, 04:36 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Venger

Default features for '08 Corvette models

Dave in Lake Villa wrote:
> '2008 Chevy Corvette revealed with new 6.2L LS3 V8 and up to 436 hp ...
> Here's a look at the new and enhanced features for '08 Corvette models:
> ... quarter-mile times of 11.7 seconds at 125 mph and a top speed of
> 198 mph
> http://tinyurl.com/2x8j4b

The base makes 190, the 06 still makes 198.

Venger
Old August 16th 07, 05:26 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Dave in Lake Villa wrote:
>> '2008 Chevy Corvette revealed with new 6.2L LS3 V8 and up to 436 hp ...
>> Here's a look at the new and enhanced features for '08 Corvette models:
>> ... quarter-mile times of 11.7 seconds at 125 mph and a top speed of
>> 198 mph
>> http://tinyurl.com/2x8j4b
>>

>> http://tinyurl.com/2x8j4b
>> -- "Key"'

> REPLY: How can it be the same quarter mile
> time as a 2006 ZO6 which has 500 h.p. ???

=======
Probably because max horsepower doesn't enter
the picture during a quarter mile for these
two cars.

Look instead at the rw torque and horsepower
curves. As Dad noted, cubes count.
--
pj
Old August 16th 07, 03:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"PJ" > wrote in message
> Dave in Lake Villa wrote:
>>> '2008 Chevy Corvette revealed with new 6.2L LS3 V8 and up to 436
>>> hp ...
>>> Here's a look at the new and enhanced features for '08 Corvette
>>> models:
>>> ... quarter-mile times of 11.7 seconds at 125 mph and a top speed
>>> of
>>> 198 mph http://tinyurl.com/2x8j4b
> >>

> >> http://tinyurl.com/2x8j4b
> >> -- "Key"'

> > REPLY: How can it be the same quarter mile time as a 2006 ZO6
> > which has 500 h.p. ???

> =======
> Probably because max horsepower doesn't enter the picture during a
> quarter mile for these two cars.
>
> Look instead at the rw torque and horsepower curves. As Dad noted,
> cubes count.
> --
> pj

Dad said that? May have been Bob I. What happened is the article
tacked on other comments and the time given was for the Z06. The
actual time was later correctly given by Fred C. Dobbs at 12.8 @ 113.5
mph for the Z51 package. From here
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=5708
As for the Z06 the HP it is not 500 but 505 as stated in most articles
and always has been. To answer question about "where the added 30 h.p.
coming in at", the 2 lines on the dyno are so close together they look
like one. Did you take the time to read his cite? So it may need not
be ask tire selection and gear ratio on the base 1LT may well make it
slower in the 1/4 but most car rags don't even test it so those times
are not available or at best hard to find.

I might suggest that some time spent looking for those answers rather
than providing unwanted remarks about how people choose to live or
drive could eliminate the need to correct someone else's attempt to
supply the information you can easily find with a minimum of effort.

--
Dad AKA "ass wipe"
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old August 16th 07, 04:21 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Dad wrote:

>> > REPLY: How can it be the same quarter mile time as a 2006 ZO6 >

>> which has 500 h.p. ???
>>

>> =======
>> Probably because max horsepower doesn't enter the picture during a
>> quarter mile for these two cars.
>>
>> Look instead at the rw torque and horsepower curves. As Dad noted,
>> cubes count.
>> --
>> pj

> Dad said that? May have been Bob I. What happened is the article tacked
> on other comments and the time given was for the Z06. The actual time
> was later correctly given by Fred C. Dobbs at 12.8 @ 113.5 mph for the
> Z51 package. From here
> http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=5708 As
> for the Z06 the HP it is not 500 but 505 as stated in most articles and
> always has been. To answer question about "where the added 30 h.p.
> coming in at", the 2 lines on the dyno are so close together they look
> like one. Did you take the time to read his cite? So it may need not be
> ask tire selection and gear ratio on the base 1LT may well make it
> slower in the 1/4 but most car rags don't even test it so those times
> are not available or at best hard to find.
>
> I might suggest that some time spent looking for those answers rather
> than providing unwanted remarks about how people choose to live or drive
> could eliminate the need to correct someone else's attempt to supply the
> information you can easily find with a minimum of effort.

Ouch, suggestions taken aboard.

Sorry to alcon, 'twas Bob I.

I do feel though that advertised/rated
horsepower isn't a decent single measure of
how any car will perform in either everyday
or competitive driving.

--
pj

Old August 16th 07, 05:22 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"PJ" > wrote in message
> Dad wrote:

Snip
> Ouch, suggestions taken aboard.

Not aimed at you, your information sometimes amazes me and leave me in
awe of your knowledge and experience. Sometimes it's hard to imagine
how different our lives can be.

> Sorry to alcon, 'twas Bob I.
>
> I do feel though that advertised/rated horsepower isn't a decent
> single measure of how any car will perform in either everyday or
> competitive driving.

I know, our autocross is comming up and last year one of the women
drivers took my car for a run and beat my time by over a full second
on a 33 second course. I think this year I'll run the '64 because
there will be no one in that class.

Old August 17th 07, 12:54 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

PJ wrote:
> Dad wrote:

>>> which has 500 h.p. ???
>>>

>>> =======
>>> Probably because max horsepower doesn't enter the picture during a
>>> quarter mile for these two cars.
>>>
>>> Look instead at the rw torque and horsepower curves. As Dad noted,
>>> cubes count.
>>> --
>>> pj

>> Dad said that? May have been Bob I. What happened is the article
>> tacked on other comments and the time given was for the Z06. The
>> actual time was later correctly given by Fred C. Dobbs at 12.8 @ 113.5
>> mph for the Z51 package. From here
>> http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=5708
>> As for the Z06 the HP it is not 500 but 505 as stated in most articles
>> and always has been. To answer question about "where the added 30 h.p.
>> coming in at", the 2 lines on the dyno are so close together they look
>> like one. Did you take the time to read his cite? So it may need not
>> be ask tire selection and gear ratio on the base 1LT may well make it
>> slower in the 1/4 but most car rags don't even test it so those times
>> are not available or at best hard to find.
>>
>> I might suggest that some time spent looking for those answers rather
>> than providing unwanted remarks about how people choose to live or
>> drive could eliminate the need to correct someone else's attempt to
>> supply the information you can easily find with a minimum of effort.
>>

> Ouch, suggestions taken aboard.
>
> Sorry to alcon, 'twas Bob I.
>
> I do feel though that advertised/rated horsepower isn't a decent single
> measure of how any car will perform in either everyday or competitive
> driving.
>
> --
> pj

How very, very true, just take a look at the current crop of
transportation being foisted on the masses. No torque to speak off, and
the "advertised horsepower" is MAYBE available at WOT 100 rpm before
redline.
Old August 17th 07, 01:24 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Fred C. Dobbs

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:17:41 -0400, "Dad" > wrote:

>> > REPLY: How can it be the same quarter mile time as a 2006 ZO6
>> > which has 500 h.p. ???

>> =======
>> Probably because max horsepower doesn't enter the picture during a
>> quarter mile for these two cars.
>>
>> Look instead at the rw torque and horsepower curves. As Dad noted,
>> cubes count.
>> --
>> pj

>Dad said that? May have been Bob I. What happened is the article
>tacked on other comments and the time given was for the Z06. The
>actual time was later correctly given by Fred C. Dobbs at 12.8 @ 113.5
>mph for the Z51 package. From here
>http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=5708
>As for the Z06 the HP it is not 500 but 505 as stated in most articles
>and always has been. To answer question about "where the added 30 h.p.
>coming in at", the 2 lines on the dyno are so close together they look
>like one. Did you take the time to read his cite? So it may need not
>be ask tire selection and gear ratio on the base 1LT may well make it
>slower in the 1/4 but most car rags don't even test it so those times
>are not available or at best hard to find.
>
>I might suggest that some time spent looking for those answers rather
>than providing unwanted remarks about how people choose to live or
>drive could eliminate the need to correct someone else's attempt to
>supply the information you can easily find with a minimum of effort.

As an owner of a 05 C6 with less than 5K miles I am having a hard time
trying to talk myself out of trading it in on an 08 Z51.
Old August 20th 07, 05:30 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

Default Smok'n '008

On Aug 14, 12:51 pm, Anonymous User > wrote:
> WOW...over the weekend, I took the dive, and purchased a life long
> aspiration; the new 008 corvette coupe!

> Con grates to GM, and the design team. If you don't have one, take my

Looks like they still haven't fixed the seats. Some of us would like
to go on trips in comfort and take turns with upper body lateral
support rather just making high speed passes on a straightaway.

Old September 24th 07, 05:13 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Scubabix

"'Key" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Dave in Lake Villa" > wrote in message
>> '2008 Chevy Corvette revealed with new 6.2L LS3 V8 and up to 436 hp ...
>> Here's a look at the new and enhanced features for '08 Corvette models:
>> ... quarter-mile times of 11.7 seconds at 125 mph and a top speed of
>> 198 mph
>> http://tinyurl.com/2x8j4b
>> --
>> "Key"'
>>
>> REPLY: How can it be the same quarter mile time as a 2006 ZO6 which has
>> 500 h.p. ???
>>

> I just surfed for an info page on the 08
> and that's what I came up with...
>
> --
> "Key"
> =====

Just keep in mind that is the "published" top speed for the 08 and the Z06,
that doesn't mean that's completely accurate after the rev limiter is cut
out.
Rob