Wrong Odometer Reading On Carfax Report?

Old August 17th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
grifty

Default Wrong Odometer Reading On Carfax Report?

I'm buying a used car from a guy. His pics show the odometer to be at
9000 miles. The Carfax report says the mileage is 14, 327. Something is

not right. This guy says that Carfax does not know his mileage but is
estimating based on his lease agreement of 12,000 miles per year. Does
this sound right?

Old August 18th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Papa

Both value seems insignificant to me because neither mileage figure is all
that much. I would be much more concerned about the actual condition of the
vehicle. If you are looking on Ebay or some other online service for a car,
don't make any commitment unless you can personally see it first. After all,
if the guy is lying about one thing, what else might he be lying about?

ps.com...

Old August 19th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Matt B.

"Papa" > wrote in message
k.net...
> Both value seems insignificant to me because neither mileage figure is all
> that much. I would be much more concerned about the actual condition of
> the vehicle. If you are looking on Ebay or some other online service for a
> car, don't make any commitment unless you can personally see it first.
> After all, if the guy is lying about one thing, what else might he be
> lying about?

i'd believe carfax first. while carfax isn't perfect, it usually only fails
by omission and/or lack of information that its reporting sources don't have
and not by reporting inaccurate data.

Old August 19th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
none2u

I think carfax is probably wrong. I would say carfax has estimated the
mileage, based on the vehicle lease agreement allowable mileage time when it
is due back ,divided by the amount of time in service, plus the original
miles on the car when it was leased. Carfax doesn't know diddley unless
someone tells them. If they don't know , they will make an estimate.
Nobodies walking around recording everyone's odometers, but, They want to
make money too. I wouldn't buy a car on ebay sight unseen, or a lease at
all from an owner, because he probably has high incentive to sell it himself
instead of giving it back. Usually the paint is damaged or scratched, or the
cars dirty beyond normal wear, and he don't want to pay extras. If its a
must have ,go look at it. If you don't want too, get his price, let him
turn it in and go get it from the leasor, with your price in hand. They will
probably make a couple of bucks off of him, and have a load of cars and
should be motivated to sell. Good Luck.