A Restatment of the obvious Small cars are more dangerous: Newinsurance study proves you're safer in a bigger car and reveals which vehicleshave the highest injury rates

Old October 4th 12, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
Tom $herman (-_-)

Default A Restatment of the obvious Small cars are more dangerous: Newinsurance study proves you're safer in a bigger car and reveals which vehicleshave the highest injury rates

On 9/27/2012 6:53 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> NHTSA isn't really interested in improving lighting standards it would
> seem, as they not only stick to their obsolete, unique beam-pattern and
> do not accept ECE beam patterns, but also fail to require self-levelers
> on bright HID lights like ECE does (thankfully, at least BMW still
> provides same.)

If you want to see a really cool self-aiming headlight system, check out
the BMW K1600GTL Uber-tourer - compensates for changes in both pitch and
roll.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!
Old October 21st 12, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 10/03/2012 09:17 PM, Tom $herman (-_-) > wrote:
> On 9/25/2012 9:04 AM, Arif Khokar wrote:
>> On 9/21/2012 6:31 AM, lil Abner wrote:
>>
>>> Headlights so weak and badly aimed that you have to use a flashlight out
>>> the window to seee road signs and intersections in the dark country
>>> outside town with hideous light pollution.

>> This has been a problem for decades due to the NHTSA insistence on
>> having a separate headlamp beam pattern standard versus what's used in
>> the rest of the world.

> There is a great variation between legal systems. What I have ranges
> from quite poor (1st generation Nissin Frontier) to excellent (Honda
> CBR600F4i).

I know I haven't been on in ages, but I'm just catching up with an old
thread... for reasons beyond my comprehension, E-code headlights are
100% legal in the US... on motorcycles, but not on passenger cars.
(hence, you'll see reflector/lens assemblies marked both with the E in a
circle and "SAE M")

the reasoning behind this, I don't know...

Nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel