Consumer Reports

Old May 17th 06, 09:45 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Consumer Reports

I'm giving the A6 some serious consideration but Consumer Reports indicates
a bad grade for the engine. They didn't specify which one but since they
didn't give the A8 a bad report for the engine, I'm assuming they mean the
3.2

Anyone having an issue with their 3.2 engine?

Ken

--
"Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
from thirty-third to Buffalo.

Old May 17th 06, 11:45 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"NJ Vike" > wrote:

>I'm giving the A6 some serious consideration but Consumer Reports indicates
>a bad grade for the engine. They didn't specify which one but since they
>didn't give the A8 a bad report for the engine, I'm assuming they mean the
>3.2

The 3.2, ad least the one used in the A3, is the VR6, so mechanically,
it should be free of bugs by now.
On the other hand, I've seen a lot of complaints about failing
ignition coil packs, which probably apply to all current engines.
--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.
Old May 17th 06, 11:51 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Doug Warner" wrote
> The 3.2, ad least the one used in the A3, is the VR6, so mechanically,

it should be free of bugs by now.
On the other hand, I've seen a lot of complaints about failing
ignition coil packs, which probably apply to all current engines.

The coilpack issues were predominant on the 1.8T and 3.0 engines, back in
2001-2003. I'm not aware of any CP issues on the 3.2.

Pete

Old May 18th 06, 12:44 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

In message >
Doug Warner > wrote:

> "NJ Vike" > wrote:
>
> >I'm giving the A6 some serious consideration but Consumer Reports indicates
> >a bad grade for the engine. They didn't specify which one but since they
> >didn't give the A8 a bad report for the engine, I'm assuming they mean the
> >3.2

> The 3.2, ad least the one used in the A3, is the VR6

The 3.2 used in the A6 has a 60 degree angle between the banks -
completely different to the narrow angle (15 degree) V6 used in the A3.

> On the other hand, I've seen a lot of complaints about failing
> ignition coil packs, which probably apply to all current engines.

The coil pack issue related to problems in production a few years ago
now, and have since been resolved. It's not been an issue for cars
produced in the last couple of years.

Old May 18th 06, 01:00 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

They give a bad grade for the enigine but don't indicate why in the
write-up? Strange. I would assume it's probably due to gas mileage
and/or noise. There isn't any history with this engine since it's
basically new (i.e., not just an expanded version of the 3.0).

I REALLY am liking the new A6. There was one parked down the street a
few weeks ago, in a medium grey color, that had me drooling.

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old May 18th 06, 10:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

So nothing serious like the engine seizing?

--
"Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
from thirty-third to Buffalo.
From Broadway bright the tubes run right
Into the Road of Anthracite"
Erie - Lackawanna

Old May 18th 06, 10:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Thanks!!!

--
"Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
from thirty-third to Buffalo.
From Broadway bright the tubes run right
Into the Road of Anthracite"
Erie - Lackawanna

Old May 18th 06, 10:49 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Dan,

They didn't specify why but didn't mention it being a loud engine like some
other cars; most notably the Fords. Gas mileage is very good so they had
nothing to say on that.

They also listed the 300C with engine issues but again fail to specify what
the issues are.

Ken

--
"Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
from thirty-third to Buffalo.
From Broadway bright the tubes run right
Into the Road of Anthracite"
Erie - Lackawanna

ups.com...

Old May 21st 06, 01:58 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Peter Bell wrote:
> In message >
> Doug Warner > wrote:
>
>> "NJ Vike" > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm giving the A6 some serious consideration but Consumer Reports indicates
>>> a bad grade for the engine. They didn't specify which one but since they
>>> didn't give the A8 a bad report for the engine, I'm assuming they mean the
>>> 3.2

>> The 3.2, ad least the one used in the A3, is the VR6

> The 3.2 used in the A6 has a 60 degree angle between the banks -
> completely different to the narrow angle (15 degree) V6 used in the A3.

And it's really a 3.1, don't know why Audi call it a 3.2 - maybe they
didn't want to risk any negative associations with the crappy old GM
3.1, LOL.

--
Mike Smith
Old May 21st 06, 02:59 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

On Sat, 20 May 2006 20:58:38 -0400, Mike Smith
> wrote:

>Peter Bell wrote:
>> In message >
>> Doug Warner > wrote:

>>> The 3.2, ad least the one used in the A3, is the VR6

>> The 3.2 used in the A6 has a 60 degree angle between the banks -
>> completely different to the narrow angle (15 degree) V6 used in the A3.

>And it's really a 3.1, don't know why Audi call it a 3.2 - maybe they
>didn't want to risk any negative associations with the crappy old GM
>3.1, LOL.

The displacement of the "3.2" is actually 3130 cubic centimeters.
Audi simply rounded up - not hard to understand at all...

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd

Consumer Reports: Saturn fish Saturn 33 December 25th 05 06:44 PM
stang in new Consumer Reports Itsfrom Click Ford Mustang 3 March 3rd 05 02:05 AM
Consumer Reports rates minivans Art Chrysler 49 February 18th 05 07:46 PM
Consumer Reports slams Magnum Art Chrysler 60 November 29th 04 03:00 AM
What's So Bad About Consumer Reports? RobertG1 General 2 March 8th 04 06:31 AM