Jeep Grand Cherokee 2003 - Grill Replacement????

Old December 16th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
infiniteMPG

Default Jeep Grand Cherokee 2003 - Grill Replacement????

We were driving across the state a week ago and had a turkey buzzard
fly up from a road side meal and we hit it straight on in the middle
of the grill on our 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It shattered the
blask plastic back grill and broke the chrome frame plastic in dozens
of places. Didn't do a thing to the radiator or anything else
luckily. We found a new replacement grill on Ebay really cheap but
before we commit to doing the replacement ourselves, we were wondering
if there was any trick to replacing the grill? Replaced a pad part on
the rear bumper and that was a nightmare of work even though it looked
simple from the outside.

Any hints or suggestions of stuff to look out for?

Thanks!
Old December 16th 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

infiniteMPG wrote:
> We were driving across the state a week ago and had a turkey buzzard
> fly up from a road side meal and we hit it straight on in the middle
> of the grill on our 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It shattered the
> blask plastic back grill and broke the chrome frame plastic in dozens
> of places. Didn't do a thing to the radiator or anything else
> luckily. We found a new replacement grill on Ebay really cheap but
> before we commit to doing the replacement ourselves, we were wondering
> if there was any trick to replacing the grill? Replaced a pad part on
> the rear bumper and that was a nightmare of work even though it looked
> simple from the outside.
>
> Any hints or suggestions of stuff to look out for?

Suggest you pop the hood and look. Taking the old one off can't hurt
anything and will give you a great bit of info on putting the new one in.

You might also call local wrecker yards. The black plastic, painted, and
chromed grills are all the same.

Go here. http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/
Drill down the body part tree. Under grille, insert there is a small
illustration. Wow, that sucker ain't cheap....

Can't tell where the screws go, but it looks to be real close to the others.

On the older 1993-1999 it was just three screws along the top and the grill
rotated forward and out. It was held at the bottom by little T shaped tabs.

--
DougW

Old December 17th 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
infiniteMPG

> Drill down the body part tree. *Under grille, insert there is a small illustration. *Wow, that sucker ain't cheap....

Looks like for the grill (grille?) and insert you're talking +$225
there. Ebay has the whole thing brand new for $38 and free
shipping :O)

>>Can you put in a comp claim on your insurance?

Did that, after deductible got a check for over $200 (vehicle is paid
for). So I figure if I can replace the grill for under $50 then it's
gonna help Christmas shopping :O)
Old December 20th 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
man of machines

it is a lot easier to do when the bumper cover is off the front