Driving lights working in reverse!

Old June 1st 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Mike Romain

Default Driving lights working in reverse!= Now SnoMan The Brain DeadStalker

SnoMan wrote:
> On Mon, 28 May 2007 10:15:42 -0400, Mike Romain >
> wrote:
>
>> I also recommend a dedicated ground for them. Once again the 'stock'
>> ground straps are designed for the stock draw. Start adding and you get
>> a low power situation.

> He does not need a dedicated ground even though you think he does.
> From his description it appears that his car is wired where it
> switches grounds to power lights (this would explain why 12V is
> pressentbetween light feed and chassis when light are "off") It would
> be difficult to suggest the best wiring solution without me have
> access to wiring diagram for vehicle. Lacking this the best solution
> might be to run a seperate feed for these lights and select them as
> you desire. Also unless they are like 100 watt bulbs there is no need
> to use a relay if you want to keep it simple. I do suggest that you
> beg borrow or somehow get a copy of headlight wiring circuit in car if
> you want to try to integrate it with them.
> -----------------
> TheSnoMan.com

Listen you stupid assed Stalker, I offered him the proper diagrams to
use a Bosch Relay to safely wire lights in.

Aftermarket accessories 'NEED" their own power and grounds.

As mentioned, the stock wiring is just big enough to handle the stock load.

Bud if you had ever worked on a vehicle or done anything else in life
except drive a snow plow, you 'might' know this.

You are almost too full of **** for words.

Like your latest insane and Deadly advise this morning on the Jeep group
you stalked me to of filling the R12 AC system in a Jeep that has
already leaked out with Highly flammable and explosive Isobutane!

The leaks happen into the cab in more cases than not in Jeeps, one spark
and that person is dead and 'you' are personally liable for giving that
advice!

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old June 2nd 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Hughesy

Ok guys sorry to start a fight!

I've done all you suggested - got one of thos relays (like the Bosch -
but another brand). Anyway all is GOOD finally.

First problem was the relay was a normally open one wich didn't suit
my car cause it does switch grounds or whatever to turn the headlights
on. (so i needed an normally closed)

So i bought the other relay which didnt seem to work at all! Finally
today a worked out relay was the solution BUT I had another problem!

The brand new fuse holder I bought (the most expensive one in the
shop) was dodgey and was loosing connecton as soon as I applied load.
But this problem was only intermitent so when I tested it with a
multimeter it seemed fine - hence y it took so long to diagnose the
issue.

Anyway I got a new fuse holder (after untaping and checking every darn
connection in the system) and connected the lights to the 87a pin of
the new relay and straight away everything is great!!

and just to clear it up - the lights had their own earth and power all
along! :-P

btw - because the relay needs power to keep the lights off - that
means the toggle switch (which I eventually installed) actually wont
turn them off! It will only force them on - even when all the normal
lights are off!

Thanks for your help Guys! :-)

Old June 2nd 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Mike Romain

Thanks for the update. Your light makers and vehicle wiring obviously
knew what they were doing with a dedicated ground line for them.

Nothing worse and with stranger symptoms than not having enough power to
go around.

I personally don't like to use the negative switching, especially if it
leaves something 'hot' to turn off like that relay, but that is just me.

Mike