Cost of painting vs. value of car

Old October 10th 05, 04:21 PM
JohnV@nn

Default Cost of painting vs. value of car

How does a person come to grips with paying $2000 to paint a car that
is worth less than $2000? I know the paint job will increase the value
a couple hundred dollars, but no more than that I bet.

I'm sure it happens all the time (people paying more for paint than the
value of the car). The same thing would happen if I decided to buy a
Kenne Bell supercharger ($3000 part for a $2000 car). The numbers just
aren't going to add up.

But with an 11-week-old boy to think about, I also have to let the
practical side of my brain have a say. Does it make sense to pay 100%
of the value of the car to have it painted? Or maybe the $250 job at
Maaco that would (hopefully) be better than what I have now?

John
93 GT

Old October 10th 05, 05:39 PM
Ritz

JohnV@nn wrote:
> How does a person come to grips with paying $2000 to paint a car that
> is worth less than $2000? I know the paint job will increase the value
> a couple hundred dollars, but no more than that I bet.
>
> I'm sure it happens all the time (people paying more for paint than the
> value of the car). The same thing would happen if I decided to buy a
> Kenne Bell supercharger ($3000 part for a $2000 car). The numbers just
> aren't going to add up.
>
> But with an 11-week-old boy to think about, I also have to let the
> practical side of my brain have a say. Does it make sense to pay 100%
> of the value of the car to have it painted? Or maybe the $250 job at
> Maaco that would (hopefully) be better than what I have now?

It looks like you already know the answer. But in case you need an
extra push....

Take care of your son. You'll always be able to get another car.

Cheers,
Old October 10th 05, 05:48 PM
ZombyWoof

On 10 Oct 2005 08:21:43 -0700, "JohnV@nn" > wrote:

>How does a person come to grips with paying $2000 to paint a car that
>is worth less than $2000? I know the paint job will increase the value
>a couple hundred dollars, but no more than that I bet.
>
>I'm sure it happens all the time (people paying more for paint than the
>value of the car). The same thing would happen if I decided to buy a
>Kenne Bell supercharger ($3000 part for a $2000 car). The numbers just
>aren't going to add up.
>
>But with an 11-week-old boy to think about, I also have to let the
>practical side of my brain have a say. Does it make sense to pay 100%
>of the value of the car to have it painted? Or maybe the $250 job at
>Maaco that would (hopefully) be better than what I have now?
>
>John
>93 GT

Well if it is a real paint job or a Maaco paint job and I was worried
about money, I wouldn't bother with either. The Maaco's can end up
looking like el-crapo the large majority of time.

Another option is your local Vo-Tech at the H.S. or CC. Many times
they will paint cars for practice if you supply materials. I've gone
this route a couple of times and have been much happier then with a
Maaco job. If you buy quality materials the instructor is going to
make sure they prep & apply them correctly,.
--
Zombywoof

Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
Old October 10th 05, 05:50 PM
Spike

On 10 Oct 2005 08:21:43 -0700, "JohnV@nn" > wrote:

>How does a person come to grips with paying $2000 to paint a car that
>is worth less than $2000? I know the paint job will increase the value
>a couple hundred dollars, but no more than that I bet.

Homeowners face the same kinds of choices when the decide to remodel
or fix up a home. Certain remodel projects really do have a big return
on investment, while others may have none.

>I'm sure it happens all the time (people paying more for paint than the
>value of the car). The same thing would happen if I decided to buy a
>Kenne Bell supercharger ($3000 part for a $2000 car). The numbers just
>aren't going to add up.

They almost never will add up. I paid $5,000 for my paint. I could
have gotten it for about 1/5th of that figure by going to MAACO or one
of those types. Or, I could have paid twice what I did by going to a
custom shop.

What you have to do is prioritize. How important is that paint to you
compared to other things in your life.

When I do something, I don't look at what the return on my investment
will be with a car. I do it simply because that's what I want, or what
I can afford at the time.

>But with an 11-week-old boy to think about, I also have to let the
>practical side of my brain have a say. Does it make sense to pay 100%
>of the value of the car to have it painted? Or maybe the $250 job at
>Maaco that would (hopefully) be better than what I have now?

No, it doesn't. Unless you had a very special car and intended to
auction it off.

As for MAACO, et al, you can go that way but, you're rarely ever going
to get out the door with the job done right for that price. They tack
on a lot of little things, like do you want the windows and chrome
masked off? Or, hey, we can't warrantee the paint if it goes on over
old bondo... Last year I had a 66 Mustang Fastback with a MAACO type
paint job. The paint was already chipping and flaking. It was a
quickie done just to sell the car. The guy I sold it to knew cars, and
acknowledged that it was going to have to be repainted. He still paid
full price because the car was great under the paint.

I've known people who did it all themselves, and cheaper than a MAACO
"final" estimate. Got some books on How To, rented some equipment.
Invited the Buds over for a sanding party, etc. And it turned out just
as good as MAACO (well, actually Earl "I'll paint any car for $39.95"
Sheibe).

Another option.... Got a local college with an automotive division, or
even a local high school with an auto shop? Our local college loves
to get cars supplied as training aids. They'll rebuild an engine or
tranny, paint, etc for the cost of materials/parts. Check around with
independent shops for prices.

>John
>93 GT

It appears you are trying to talk yourself out of spending a bundle.
Don't try. You already, apparently, know what your best move is, and
what your responsibilities are. Sometimes in life you have to set
aside the luxuries and get real. Best of Luck and Life to ya.
Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.
http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/d..._11_05_002.jpg
Old October 10th 05, 07:43 PM
Spike

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:48:09 -0400, ZombyWoof >
wrote:

>On 10 Oct 2005 08:21:43 -0700, "JohnV@nn" > wrote:
>
>>How does a person come to grips with paying $2000 to paint a car that
>>is worth less than $2000? I know the paint job will increase the value
>>a couple hundred dollars, but no more than that I bet.
>>
>>I'm sure it happens all the time (people paying more for paint than the
>>value of the car). The same thing would happen if I decided to buy a
>>Kenne Bell supercharger ($3000 part for a $2000 car). The numbers just
>>aren't going to add up.
>>
>>But with an 11-week-old boy to think about, I also have to let the
>>practical side of my brain have a say. Does it make sense to pay 100%
>>of the value of the car to have it painted? Or maybe the $250 job at
>>Maaco that would (hopefully) be better than what I have now?
>>
>>John
>>93 GT
>>

>Well if it is a real paint job or a Maaco paint job and I was worried
>about money, I wouldn't bother with either. The Maaco's can end up
>looking like el-crapo the large majority of time.
>
>Another option is your local Vo-Tech at the H.S. or CC. Many times
>they will paint cars for practice if you supply materials. I've gone
>this route a couple of times and have been much happier then with a
>Maaco job. If you buy quality materials the instructor is going to
>make sure they prep & apply them correctly,.

Great minds think alike apparently..... LOL : 0 ) Looks like we all
caught on to the same (thought) wave... Tubular!
Old October 10th 05, 09:12 PM
66 6F HCS

"JohnV@nn" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> How does a person come to grips with paying $2000 to paint a car that
> is worth less than $2000? I know the paint job will increase the value
> a couple hundred dollars, but no more than that I bet.

I know a moron who put a $10,000 paint job on a $2500 Porsche 914.
--
Scott W.
'66 HCS Mustang 289

Old October 10th 05, 11:20 PM
Ritz

66 6F HCS wrote:
> "JohnV@nn" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>How does a person come to grips with paying $2000 to paint a car that
>>is worth less than $2000? I know the paint job will increase the value
>>a couple hundred dollars, but no more than that I bet.

> I know a moron who put a $10,000 paint job on a $2500 Porsche 914.

I know a moron who not only put an expensive paint job on a 914, but
swapped in a 327 chevy engine. One of the hotrod magazines had an
article about the car. They tested it at the track and at 120mph, the
windshield molding blew off. 8-)
Old October 11th 05, 12:55 AM
Spike

I knew a "moron" who dropped a 427 into a VW bug. Kept burning the
rear tires off before it would start to move. The guy is a Uof C
professor.

Old October 12th 05, 01:52 AM
JohnV@nn

It's amazing how fast he's growing though. He's almost 12 weeks old.
Seems I've hardly blinked since he was born.

John

Old October 12th 05, 02:31 AM
dwight

"JohnV@nn" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> How does a person come to grips with paying $2000 to paint a car that
> is worth less than $2000? I know the paint job will increase the value
> a couple hundred dollars, but no more than that I bet.
>
> I'm sure it happens all the time (people paying more for paint than the
> value of the car). The same thing would happen if I decided to buy a
> Kenne Bell supercharger ($3000 part for a $2000 car). The numbers just
> aren't going to add up.
>
> But with an 11-week-old boy to think about, I also have to let the
> practical side of my brain have a say. Does it make sense to pay 100%
> of the value of the car to have it painted? Or maybe the $250 job at
> Maaco that would (hopefully) be better than what I have now?
>
> John
> 93 GT

I feel your pain. I just dropped $2K on TFrog's transmission, and TFrog's
book value is probably right around that.

But I don't think that way.

My wife pays over $300/month to drive a new car every other year. While I
don't make monthly payments, I do make lump-sum payments like this last one.
TFrog's been paid off for a long time, but it's never truly paid off.

If I add up what I spend on that car over the course of a year and break it
out into monthly payments, it still wouldn't approach what it costs for a
new ride. Besides, I'm not about to trade in or trade up - TFrog is a
keeper.

I never look at that car and think "book value". I think "dwight value" -
what it's worth to me.

I'm looking ahead to a new paint job, myself, and I won't flinch at spending
that much for a very good finish. I plan on keeping the car long enough to
make it more than worthwhile.

Now, if I were thinking about spending $2000 to repaint the car "in order to
sell it", then, no, I wouldn't bother. Good money after bad.

dwight
www.tfrog93.com