synthetic oils

Old April 8th 05, 12:05 PM
d745

Default synthetic oils

2003 silverado, 4wd, 6.0 liter engine, 4:10 rears.
I would appreciate your comments on using Amsoil as motor oil. And using
synthetic oils in the transmission and differentials. I don’t know which
oils to use in the transmission and differentials suggestions would be
appreciated.

Old April 8th 05, 12:30 PM
C. E. White

d745 wrote:

> 2003 silverado, 4wd, 6.0 liter engine, 4:10 rears.
> I would appreciate your comments on using Amsoil as motor oil. And using
> synthetic oils in the transmission and differentials. I don’t know which
> oils to use in the transmission and differentials suggestions would be
> appreciated.

My usggest is that you read your owner's guide. It will tell
you what specifications the oils should meet. Be careful of
some of the Amsoil engine oils. Some are API certified and
some are not. Your owner's guide is going to specifiy that
the engine oil be API certified.

Here are recommendations for the other fluids from the GM
manual -

Automatic Transmission - DEXRON III Automatic Transmission
Fluid

Front Axle - SAE 80W-90 Lubricant (GM P/N 1052271, Canadian
P/N 10950849 or equivalent).

Front and Rear Axle (5 Spd.) - SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle
lubricant (GM Part No. 12378261, Canadian Part No. 10953455)
or equivalent meeting GM specification 9986115

Rear Axle (With QS4 Axle only) - SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle
Lubricant (GM Part No. 12378557, Canadian Part No. 88901362)
or equivalent.

Transfer Case - NVG 149-NP (One Speed Automatic) - DEXRON
III Automatic Transmission Fluid (GM P/N 12346143, Canada
P/N 10952622) or equivalent.

Transfer Case - NVG 236/246-NP8 (Two Speed Automatic) -
Auto-Trac II Fluid (GM Part No. 12378508, Canada Part No.
10953626) or equivalent.

Transfer Case - NVG 261-NP2 (Two Speed Manual) - DEXRON III
Automatic Transmission Fluid (GM P/N 12346143, Canada P/N
10952622) or equivalent.

Transfer Case - NVG 263-NP1 (Selectable) - DEXRON III
Automatic Transmission Fluid (GM P/N 12346143, Canada P/N
10952622) or equivalent.

Using synthetic fluids is fine, just make sure they reflect
the appropriate GM specifications.

Ed
Old April 8th 05, 02:22 PM
Peter D. Hipson

If the Amsoil is API approved, go for it. If not, kiss your warranty
good-bye! Use Lucas oils instead.

Old April 8th 05, 06:42 PM
Rob Munach

Peter D. Hipson wrote:

> If the Amsoil is API approved, go for it. If not, kiss your warranty
> good-bye! Use Lucas oils instead.
>
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 07:05:39 -0400, "d745" > wrote:
>

>>2003 silverado, 4wd, 6.0 liter engine, 4:10 rears.
>>I would appreciate your comments on using Amsoil as motor oil. And using
>>synthetic oils in the transmission and differentials. I don’t know which
>>oils to use in the transmission and differentials suggestions would be
>>appreciated.

Regardless if the Amsoil is API rated or not, it will NOT cause any oil
related engine failures and will likely prevent failures from occuring
do to overheating etc. It is probably the finest oil you can get. Amsoil
*claims* they will warranty against oil related failures as well. I have
been using it in my vehicles for 20 years.

--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
Old April 9th 05, 12:08 AM
Peter D. Hipson

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 17:42:58 GMT, Rob Munach >
wrote:

>Regardless if the Amsoil is API rated or not, it will NOT cause any oil
>related engine failures and will likely prevent failures from occuring
>do to overheating etc. It is probably the finest oil you can get. Amsoil
>*claims* they will warranty against oil related failures as well. I have
>been using it in my vehicles for 20 years.

There are two camps, absolutely opposed. ONe group swears at Amsoil,
the other swears by it. I'd be very reluctant to call it the finest
oil you can get. That is a big claim for a company who can't get their
oil API certified.

As to their claim of warranty coverage, I'd not want to bank on that.
I think in reading your message, you agree, too.

More important than name (within reason!) is frequency of changes.
People who stretch out their oil and filter changes are the people who
are more likely to have a 90K mile car that puffs blue smoke at every
light and stop sign.

I won't debate Amsoil, however. As I say, if you are happy with it, or
want to try it, great. I think it is of sufficient quality that it
will match virtually all other oils. The lack of API certification is
difficult to understand (I know their story: expensive and would make
their product cost more.) Lucas oil (which I use, and am very happy
with) is API certified and is similar price.

For what it is worth, the issue of oil quality is not just in how well
it lubricates. Instead it is more complex, and includes issues in
detergent action, multi-viscosity additives, and such.

Anyway, Rob, you use Amsoil. I'll use Lucas. When one of us has a
failure we'll email the other! (and neither will have to do that...
<bg>)

Old April 9th 05, 12:37 PM
Rob Munach

Peter D. Hipson wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 17:42:58 GMT, Rob Munach >
> wrote:
>

>>Regardless if the Amsoil is API rated or not, it will NOT cause any oil
>>related engine failures and will likely prevent failures from occuring
>>do to overheating etc. It is probably the finest oil you can get. Amsoil
>>*claims* they will warranty against oil related failures as well. I have
>>been using it in my vehicles for 20 years.

> There are two camps, absolutely opposed. ONe group swears at Amsoil,
> the other swears by it. I'd be very reluctant to call it the finest
> oil you can get. That is a big claim for a company who can't get their
> oil API certified.
>
> As to their claim of warranty coverage, I'd not want to bank on that.
> I think in reading your message, you agree, too.
>
> More important than name (within reason!) is frequency of changes.
> People who stretch out their oil and filter changes are the people who
> are more likely to have a 90K mile car that puffs blue smoke at every
> light and stop sign.
>
> I won't debate Amsoil, however. As I say, if you are happy with it, or
> want to try it, great. I think it is of sufficient quality that it
> will match virtually all other oils. The lack of API certification is
> difficult to understand (I know their story: expensive and would make
> their product cost more.) Lucas oil (which I use, and am very happy
> with) is API certified and is similar price.
>
> For what it is worth, the issue of oil quality is not just in how well
> it lubricates. Instead it is more complex, and includes issues in
> detergent action, multi-viscosity additives, and such.
>
> Anyway, Rob, you use Amsoil. I'll use Lucas. When one of us has a
> failure we'll email the other! (and neither will have to do that...
> <bg>)

Wow, that was the most civil Amsoil discussion I have ever seen in a
newgroup.
FWIW, I change my oil and filter once a year and have been doing it that
way for 20 years. I have never had a vehicle that used any oil. It is
much easier for me to pay more for an oil and have to mess with the car
less. I have too much equipment to maintain!

BTW, Amsoil does have an API rated blend - it is just not their best stuff.

--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
Old April 9th 05, 02:07 PM
Peter D. Hipson

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 11:37:40 GMT, Rob Munach >
wrote:

>Wow, that was the most civil Amsoil discussion I have ever seen in a
>newgroup.
>FWIW, I change my oil and filter once a year and have been doing it that
>way for 20 years. I have never had a vehicle that used any oil. It is
>much easier for me to pay more for an oil and have to mess with the car
>less. I have too much equipment to maintain!
>
>BTW, Amsoil does have an API rated blend - it is just not their best stuff.

Ah, I aim to please. On my trucks I change at least every six months
(when you are talking a 35K to 130K investment, it is reasonable!) The
boss' car is once a year, like yours.

I personally feel if Amsoil were to get their products that are not
API rated through the test, they could possibly double or better their
business. I know many who won't buy it for that very reason.
Old April 10th 05, 12:14 PM
Rob Munach

Peter D. Hipson wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 11:37:40 GMT, Rob Munach >
> wrote:
>

>>Wow, that was the most civil Amsoil discussion I have ever seen in a
>>newgroup.
>>FWIW, I change my oil and filter once a year and have been doing it that
>>way for 20 years. I have never had a vehicle that used any oil. It is
>>much easier for me to pay more for an oil and have to mess with the car
>>less. I have too much equipment to maintain!
>>
>>BTW, Amsoil does have an API rated blend - it is just not their best stuff.

> Ah, I aim to please. On my trucks I change at least every six months
> (when you are talking a 35K to 130K investment, it is reasonable!) The
> boss' car is once a year, like yours.
>
> I personally feel if Amsoil were to get their products that are not
> API rated through the test, they could possibly double or better their
> business. I know many who won't buy it for that very reason.

It must not make sense economically to do it. I guess they have
estimated that the amount of sales lost would not exceed the cost of the
certification. I had been using the oil for 16 years before I even new
about the certification issue and they didn't lose me as a customer.

--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
Old April 10th 05, 03:56 PM
Peter D. Hipson

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:14:01 GMT, Rob Munach >
wrote:

>It must not make sense economically to do it. I guess they have
>estimated that the amount of sales lost would not exceed the cost of the
>certification. I had been using the oil for 16 years before I even new
>about the certification issue and they didn't lose me as a customer.

They would not be the first company that guessed that type of decision
wrong. <g> The real issue is that it will void the warranty on the
engine if it is not API certified. That Amsoil says they will cover
any damage their oil causes, it would be practically impossible in
many cases to show what caused the failure. Aside, I've not heard any
horror stories either way about Amsoil. (And I've not heard any such
horror stories about any other brand...) Years ago (and we are
probably talking well before you existed (if you are lucky!) the
issues of sludge buildup was a major point. Oil makers were getting
into 'detergent' motor oil technology, and each had their own ideas
and formulas. Some did well, others did not do as well. There are some
who don't like QS or Pennzoil, because at first there was excessive
sludge buildup in those brands. But that was a *long* time ago. Now,
if you remember cars that didn't even have an oil filter (it's a
relatively new addition to the engine!) or cars that had the cannister
filter (dear god was that a PITA to deal with--messy to no end, and
half of them were mounted upside down so dirty oil and crap went
everywhere when you removed the. Ah, the good old days!

I've got to wonder, why do people really like, or really not like a
certain brand of oil? RBG!

Old April 11th 05, 01:18 AM
Mark D

2003 silverado, 4wd, 6.0 liter engine, 4:10 rears. I would appreciate
your comments on using Amsoil as motor oil. And using synthetic oils in
the transmission and differentials. I don't know which oils to use in
the transmission and differentials suggestions would be appreciated.
Howdy Dave, there's nothing wrong with any of the Amsoil Engine Oils,
other than thier high price. If you are still considering changing Oil
at the Manufacturer recommended intervals, perhaps just go with Mobil 1
instead, and save yourself a few bucks along the way? I've been using
Mobil 1 on my '97 Tahoe since new.

Wally World sells Mobil 1 in 5qt Jugs, and usually sells for $20 a jug.
(not sure how many quarts your engine takes?)

As far as transmission fluids go, I assume your truck has a tranny
cooler from the factory, so this is good.

Amsoil does make a full synthetic Transmission fluid, again not cheap,
and I have this in my Tahoe, and it works fine.

If you are going to do the Transmission Service yourself, I'd make sure
you go to the Chevy Dealer to get the new Pan Gasket, and Filter.
I once bought these parts from an Auto parts store, and although they
were labeled Delco parts, the kit came with a wimpy Cork Gasket, which
was junk, and was not what the Tranny originally used, which was a much
more heavy duty vulcanized/rubberized Fiber/paper gasket.

Definitely use the proper Torque Wrench, proper torque values, and
torque sequence on the pan to eliminate the chances of buckling the
gasket which will cause leaks. (Usually these pan bolts torque at about
18 ft lbs or so)

As far as Differential Fluids go, Mobil 1 full Synthetic gear Lube
should work fine in both front, and rear Differentials, even with the
limited Slip Axle, which you probably have in the rear.

An easy way to do the fluid swap on the Differentials without resorting
to ripping off the covers, is to buy a fluid suction gun, use a length
of rubber hose insert into the fill ports, and remove the old fluids
this way. Mark