Heater Blower Fans Deteriorated!

Old August 13th 05, 03:36 AM

Default Heater Blower Fans Deteriorated!

Hi!

I have a 1973 VW Beetle.

The other day I was inspecting the add on blower fans for my heater.

I hardly ever used them, since I was concerned with the current draw on
the battery.

When I picked it up to remove one, the outer casing crumbled in my
hands.

The fan motor itself appeared to be OK though.

These were not the Barney's Imports heater recalculater blowers.
These were the Atwood brand which were a lot quieter than the
Barney's blowers.

They were mounted under the rear seat with a larger than original
heater hose connected to them.

I had installed them in July of 2000 and the fell apart in August 2005.

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is, I should have inspected these
blowers at least twice a year and replaced them about every four years.

My stock heater with flaps and thermostat works good enough and I do
not need these blowers.

Hope This Helps!
JP 73vwbeetle

Old August 13th 05, 05:15 AM
Busahaulic

Yeah, I noticed that, too. They can't stand the heat!

oups.com...

Old August 13th 05, 03:31 PM
Tim Rogers

"Busahaulic" > wrote in message

> Yeah, I noticed that, too. They can't stand the heat!

..............Those Atwood fans are actually for ventilating the gasoline
fumes from the bilge of an inboard boat. They were never intended for an
application that has a lot of heat. Whoever sells them as a retailer for use
in a VW to boost the air flow from the heater boxes is either clueless or
doesn't care that they're going to go bad.

Old August 13th 05, 04:25 PM
Busahaulic

I think most of the "marketing" was right here in RAMVA! Of course what
seems to be a really neat-o thing at first and second glance doesn't always
pan out in the long run. That, I guess, is why it's so important to read
people's ideas and opinions and suggestions and then figure out for yourself
whether you want to try something that "...works better than anything
else..." for somebody who may- or may-not be clueless - who knows?

I know that I was an advocate of using Atwood bilge blowers inline and mine
worked well for a few years. At around $25 plus fiddling time it was
probably worth it. The solution I finally came up with to have a working
heater was much, much more expensive but so much more satisfying! -BaH