lowered or just sagging?

Old July 8th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Sneaks

Default lowered or just sagging?

The rear of my '68 is either lowered or sagging, I don't know how to tell
which. It's been this way since I got it 3 years ago, the wheels tip in at
the top and snug under the lip of the fenders more than stock. I'm thinking
of lifting it since the exhaust drag quite easily and the front is stock
height, but if it is getting tired, I'd rather replace the parts than
bandaid it by cranking up the springs. Anyone have an idea how to tell it
the p.o. lowered it or if the old girl is just tired??

Sneaks
'68 T1

Old July 9th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Wolfgang[_1_]

IRS VWs tire do bow in a bit at the top normally. Do you OEM rims and
tires --- perhaps it was lowered so the tires would clear? Its a day job to
adjust the torsion bars. Its not considered a patch - they were designed to
be adjusted. Put on new shocks at same time.

oups.com...

Old July 16th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Sneaks

"Wolfgang" > wrote in message
> IRS VWs tire do bow in a bit at the top normally. >>>>

No IRS...she's a swinger

<Do you OEM rims and
> tires --- perhaps it was lowered so the tires would clear?>

That is my thought, yes, it has aftermarket wheels...unfortunately it is
going to need a new oil pan and exhaust soon if I don't lift it, less than
3" off the ground just doesn't cut it in the real world of frost heaves and
railroad tracks.

< Its a day job to
> adjust the torsion bars. >

I've been reading that, not a fun job it sounds. Anyone have any tips to
make it easier and safer?

< Put on new shocks at same time.

Good idea. Haven't seen orange Gabriels in years.......

Thanks for the input.

Sneaks
'68 T1

Old July 16th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Robert

www.cip1.com sells a tool to adjust the torsion bars. ACC-C10-7047 -
Bob