are wiper motors difficult to rebuild?

Old December 17th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JustMe

Default are wiper motors difficult to rebuild?

'95 Chevy Lumina mini van, 3.1 liter engine.
Old December 17th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul[_29_]

JustMe wrote:
> '95 Chevy Lumina mini van, 3.1 liter engine.

It depends on what is wrong. If its just worn brushes then its pretty easy to rebuild.
But if the windings are fried and you have to rewind with new wire, that could take a while.
Old December 17th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JustMe

On Dec 17, 1:39*pm, Paul > wrote:
> JustMe wrote:
> > '95 Chevy Lumina mini van, 3.1 liter engine.

> It depends on what is wrong. *If its just worn brushes then its pretty easy to rebuild.
> But if the windings are fried and you have to rewind with new wire, that could take a while.

you can rewind a motor by hand? Doesn't that at least require a
fixture?
Old December 17th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >,
JustMe > wrote:
>On Dec 17, 1:39=A0pm, Paul > wrote:
>> JustMe wrote:
>> > '95 Chevy Lumina mini van, 3.1 liter engine.

>> It depends on what is wrong. =A0If its just worn brushes then its pretty =

>easy to rebuild.
>> But if the windings are fried and you have to rewind with new wire, that =

>could take a while.
>
>you can rewind a motor by hand? Doesn't that at least require a
>fixture?

Depends a lot on the motor design. For some AC motors you can rewind the
field coil in place. For most smaller motors you have to build some kind
of fixture, which can be as easy as cutting something out of plywood.

Doing the armature is a different story altogether and that can be done
in place, but it is no fun at all and it's not worth the time to do it.

Audel's Handbook of Small Motors gives a lot of useful information on doing
your own motor rewinding. It's actually kind of fun.
--scott
Old December 18th 08, 12:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

On Dec 17, 4:10*pm, JustMe > wrote:
> '95 Chevy Lumina mini van, 3.1 liter engine.

First you need to find out what needs to be rebuilt. Are the bushings
loose?
Old December 18th 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message

> Audel's Handbook of Small Motors gives a lot of useful information on
> doing
> your own motor rewinding. It's actually kind of fun.
> --scott

I can understand that it is fun to learn to do something new, but I would
think that the
cost of the copper wire, the time involved, and the propensity to failure
would offset
the savings. A friendly wrecking yard is the amateur mechanic's best friend
at times.

Old December 18th 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

HLS > wrote:
>"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
>
>> Audel's Handbook of Small Motors gives a lot of useful information on
>> doing
>> your own motor rewinding. It's actually kind of fun.

>I can understand that it is fun to learn to do something new, but I would
>think that the
>cost of the copper wire, the time involved, and the propensity to failure
>would offset
>the savings.

Or a local starter and alternator shop. A lot of those guys are willing to
rebuild small DC motors for reasonable prices.

> A friendly wrecking yard is the amateur mechanic's best friend
> at times.

If you can still get parts at a wrecking yard, your car isn't old enough.
--scott
Old December 18th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message

> If you can still get parts at a wrecking yard, your car isn't old enough.
> --scott

Probably true, in a lot of cases.

Old December 19th 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
disston

A '95 vintage is a prime candidate for junk yard parts round here. Not
to sure of the supply of Lumina's in the trash heap but I would give
it a shot. Getting a little harder if older than the '80's and usually
harder to find parts for very current models. To prepare yourself ask
if the yard has a cross reference guide. It will tell you what years
and models of cars will have a wiper motor to fit your car. The yard I
use charges me $1 to tell me this info. There are probably several
models of Chevy made for somelike 10 years that use the same wiper
motor. Or take the broken motor with you. If you do that make sure you
have the part marked on your way in or they will not know you brought
it with you and want to charge you for it when you leave.

disston

156 Wiper Motors SteveH Alfa Romeo 9 March 16th 08 06:29 PM
wiper motor rebuild/replace [email protected] VW air cooled 3 May 18th 07 08:32 PM
Swapping out wiper motors Rusty Shackleford Honda 3 May 15th 06 01:57 AM
AWA [OFFER] OEM GM Wiper Motors [email protected] General 0 April 13th 06 03:51 PM
Changing Wiper Motors Lovs2fly Jeep 8 December 10th 05 03:06 AM