Bicycles - what's the primary fuel to your fire?

Old August 11th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Bicycles - what's the primary fuel to your fire?

I think most motorists, from time to time, are annoyed (or infuriated)
by bicyclists. My question to you is what "type" of bicyclist, and
what activity, irks you the most (or most often). Is it the kid
riding across the street diagonally between intersections? The
average guy on a bike riding against traffic? Someone running a red
light? The DUI cyclist with the upside down drop bars swerving down
the road? The lycra-clad groups riding in large packs? The solo
"serious" cyclist out on a Sunday ride? The commuter?

Another cyclist ventured a guess at this and I was quite surprised by
their assumption of what they thought got motorists worked up. I
tried to word this somewhat objectively, to get a feel from the
drivers perspective. Input appreciated.
Old August 11th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

On 2008-08-11, > wrote:
> I think most motorists, from time to time, are annoyed (or infuriated)
> by bicyclists. My question to you is what "type" of bicyclist, and
> what activity, irks you the most (or most often).

When driving:
Wrong ways, red light runners, and queue jumpers in that order.

When biking:
Wrong ways, queue jumpers, and red light runners in that order.

When I'm biking, what annoys me most about drivers:

1) The 'must pass bicyclist' type. These are the idiots who cut me off
and then slam on the brakes to make the stop they had to make anyway.
They then proceed to react, accelerate, and drive slowly as to slow me
down. These are the fools that have to pass me even though I am doing
25mph on a 25mph speed limit residential road. The kind of driver who
will put me at risk only so that I reach the same point at the same time
they do.*

2) The brush passers. Those who think that 6 inches is a good spacing to
drive by a a bicyclist doing 20+mph as they are doing 60mph.

3) Those drivers who commit all sorts of moving violations and think
that everyone on a bicyclist has to yield to them.

*had an interesting example of that recently. I am biking along on a 4
lane road at a good pace when this woman in a honda civic passes me
sort of close because she's too lazy to change lanes. At the next light
she's turning right, I am going straight. I pull up next to her. and
just sit there quietly so she'll notice that she's not doing any better
time. Light turns green I go straight. she turns. I turn into a
subdivision that is a loop to do a lap to cool down (I have to slowly
bring my body down or I can get sick from the sudden full-bore to
full-stop) I follow the loop so that it takes be back in the direction
which I came and then towards the other road that goes in and out from
it. I get to that stop sign... and who do I see? The woman driving the
honda civic. I went the LONG way around, slowed my pace dramatically and
go there the same time she did.... lol... Then there was the other
driver who insisted he should pass me. He had a bike in his car. I told
him I hope he gets treated the way he treated me. He called me an
asshole as I turned another direction. Then I see him going into a store
about mile away... Got there the same time he did. Happens all the time.
They have to be in front, and that's just all it is. Just like the idiot
who blocks the left lane on the expressway.

Old August 11th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_4_]

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 08:02:27 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>I think most motorists, from time to time, are annoyed (or infuriated)
>by bicyclists. My question to you is what "type" of bicyclist, and
>what activity, irks you the most (or most often). Is it the kid
>riding across the street diagonally between intersections? The
>average guy on a bike riding against traffic? Someone running a red
>light? The DUI cyclist with the upside down drop bars swerving down
>the road? The lycra-clad groups riding in large packs? The solo
>"serious" cyclist out on a Sunday ride? The commuter?

In order:

1) No lights, wearing dark clothing riding the wrong way at night

2) red light runners

3) weaving back and forth like a drunk

--
"Are you asking something of me, Jean Luc??'
-- Q
Old August 11th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

On Aug 11, 11:02*am, " > wrote:
> I think most motorists, from time to time, are annoyed (or infuriated)
> by bicyclists. *My question to you is what "type" of bicyclist, and
> what activity, irks you the most (or most often). *Is it the kid
> riding across the street diagonally between intersections? *The
> average guy on a bike riding against traffic? *Someone running a red
> light? *The DUI cyclist with the upside down drop bars swerving down
> the road? *The lycra-clad groups riding in large packs? *The solo
> "serious" cyclist out on a Sunday ride? *The commuter?
>
> Another cyclist ventured a guess at this and I was quite surprised by
> their assumption of what they thought got motorists worked up. *I
> tried to word this somewhat objectively, to get a feel from the
> drivers perspective. *Input appreciated.

Running stop signs/lights, gutter passing, or a combination thereof.
usually performed by a roadie. not only is this the most perturbing
infraction, it's also the most common, and in my mind, the most
dangerous. I think someone posted that they viewed bicyclists as "a
potential lawsuit on two wheels." I agree, and this is why.

Second place - idiots riding the wrong way on the road, usually after
dark, without lights. see "lawsuit on two wheels" above.

Third place - riding on the sidewalk. I know it's wrong, but unless I
don't see them when turning a corner, it really doesn't affect me *as
a motorist.*

nate
Old August 12th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alexander Rogge

> I think most motorists, from time to time, are annoyed (or infuriated)
> by bicyclists. My question to you is what "type" of bicyclist, and
> what activity, irks you the most (or most often).

How about the MFFY on the bicycle that ran a red light last week? I
almost ended up hitting him. Of course, I noticed that he didn't appear
to be trying to stop, so I stopped instead of continuing through the
intersection. I don't have a problem if they're actually accelerating
to run the red light, but don't start running the light after the
intersecting traffic is already moving.

I also had a bicyclist a few weeks ago that was riding across medians
and lawns, and then appeared to be trying to reenter the regular traffic
lane in front of me. I had to stop to avoid a potential collision.
Old August 12th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

On 2008-08-12, John David Galt > wrote:

> I have no problem with any bicyclist who follows the one commandment
> that needs to be enforced on all road users: Thou shalt not needlessly
> block others from going faster than thyself. As far as I'm concerned
> this is an absolute condition of one's right to exist on the road.

The trouble is your definition of 'needlessly'.

> Second place goes to the arrogant ass on a bicycle who is practically
> alone on some country road -- but pulls left to block you from passing
> him because *he* doesn't think it's a good idea. IT'S NOT HIS PLACE TO
> MAKE THE DECISION WHETHER I PASS HIM. IT'S *MY* PLACE.

See, what I wrote above. Here's the problem. The bicyclist can see the
oncoming vehicle on the curve or hill that the driver cannot see. When
the driver begins his pass and is along side the bicyclist he'll see the
oncoming vehicle and go: 'OMG!' and then vere his vehicle to the RIGHT.
Been there, done, that. That's why I take the lane on hills and curves
that are blind to the driver behind me. I want somewhere to go on the
pavement if he still decides to pass like an idiot and then veres right.
It's called self preservation Galt. And if you're in such a damn hurry
to pass just get fully into the oncoming lane and you take the full risk
of your decision. The point is he is not stopping you from passing. Pass
like you'd pass a motorcyclist or any other motorist. Get into the
oncoming lane and pass. The fact that you think the bicyclist is making
the passing decision for you tells me you know it's a dumb place to pass
but you expect the bicyclist to absorb the risk instead of yourself.

> The police had better start enforcing against all these behaviors if
> they don't want drivers to start doing so ourselves.

According to most state laws I've seen it is the bicyclist's decision on
where it is safe to allow lane sharing passing or not. Not that the
ignorant bullies and thugs that work as the government's police officers
have bothered to read it.

Old August 12th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
John David Galt

wrote:
> I think most motorists, from time to time, are annoyed (or infuriated)
> by bicyclists. My question to you is what "type" of bicyclist, and
> what activity, irks you the most (or most often). Is it the kid
> riding across the street diagonally between intersections? The
> average guy on a bike riding against traffic? Someone running a red
> light? The DUI cyclist with the upside down drop bars swerving down
> the road? The lycra-clad groups riding in large packs? The solo
> "serious" cyclist out on a Sunday ride? The commuter?

I have no problem with any bicyclist who follows the one commandment
that needs to be enforced on all road users: Thou shalt not needlessly
block others from going faster than thyself. As far as I'm concerned
this is an absolute condition of one's right to exist on the road.

The most annoying bicyclists tend to be those who squeeze past you in
places where the road isn't wide enough for the car to easily pass the
bike when traffic starts moving again -- then regards it as your problem
when he forces you to drive at bike speeds.

Second place goes to the arrogant ass on a bicycle who is practically
alone on some country road -- but pulls left to block you from passing
him because *he* doesn't think it's a good idea. IT'S NOT HIS PLACE TO
MAKE THE DECISION WHETHER I PASS HIM. IT'S *MY* PLACE.

And third is the bike rider who compounds the problems created by the
first two behaviors by running a stop sign or traffic light to prevent
you from using the width of the intersection to pass him within it.

Old August 12th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Brent P wrote:

[snip]

> According to most state laws I've seen it is the bicyclist's decision on
> where it is safe to allow lane sharing passing or not. Not that the
> ignorant bullies and thugs that work as the government's police officers
> have bothered to read it.

Aren't you the same person who doesn't like bicycle lanes?

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.
Old August 12th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

On Aug 12, 12:44*pm, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." > wrote:
> Brent P wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > According to most state laws I've seen it is the bicyclist's decision on
> > where it is safe to allow lane sharing passing or not. Not that the
> > ignorant bullies and thugs that work as the government's police officers
> > have bothered to read it.

> Aren't you the same person who doesn't like bicycle lanes?

Probably, because I don't know a single person who likes bicycle
lanes.

nate
Old August 12th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

On 2008-08-12, Paul Hovnanian P.E. > wrote:
> Brent P wrote:
>>

> [snip]
>>
>> According to most state laws I've seen it is the bicyclist's decision on
>> where it is safe to allow lane sharing passing or not. Not that the
>> ignorant bullies and thugs that work as the government's police officers
>> have bothered to read it.

> Aren't you the same person who doesn't like bicycle lanes?

What do urban bike lanes have to do with a rural two lane with limited
sight distances?

I did see bike shoulders on some rural two lane in Iowa where it was
entirely flat and straight. (The area with curves and steep inclines
that I rode had no bike lane, go figure.) About the only place a
bike lane has a chance of being worthwild is a two lane road with miles
between intersections or even driveways. It's also the
least likely place to see them.