'91 Civic Si radiator upper tank split

Old November 14th 04, 08:07 PM
Paul Banchero

Default '91 Civic Si radiator upper tank split

The upper tank on my '91 Civic Si radiator has a split 1" - 2" long
immediately above one of the two brackets that support the air intake
horn - the one closest to the battery. (And, no - I haven't leaned
on the air horn in the past, though that kind of pressure is what
causes the split to widen.)

Realistically, is this repairable by a radiator shop? The tank is
made of rather thin metal (brass?; aluminum?). I wonder whether
soldering or brazing would work. I suspect that the shop might
suggest the replacement of the tank. The alternative is $326 for a
new radiator!

I intend to keep the car for some time.

Thanks.

Old November 14th 04, 08:18 PM
Grumpy au Contraire

Paul Banchero wrote:

> The upper tank on my '91 Civic Si radiator has a split 1" - 2" long
> immediately above one of the two brackets that support the air intake
> horn - the one closest to the battery. (And, no - I haven't leaned
> on the air horn in the past, though that kind of pressure is what
> causes the split to widen.)
>
> Realistically, is this repairable by a radiator shop? The tank is
> made of rather thin metal (brass?; aluminum?). I wonder whether
> soldering or brazing would work. I suspect that the shop might
> suggest the replacement of the tank. The alternative is $326 for a
> new radiator!
>
> I intend to keep the car for some time.
>
> Thanks.

There are plenty of after market radiator alternatives far cheaper than
$325... Do a Google search and get a new unit.

--
JT

Just tooling through cyberspace in my ancient G4
Old November 14th 04, 08:23 PM
Caroline

Is that $326 for just the part or parts and labor? If it's just
the part, consider:

1.
An online new OEM radiator purchase from a place like
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...catdisplay.jsp ?
They want around $250 (add another $20 or so for S/H) for a new
radiator for one of the 91 Civic SI radiators I looked at. Labor
of course will bring this up to a higher cost, unless you are a
DIY-er. http://www.hondiscountparts.com/ looks to have even
better prices ($117-$158, with free shipping over $50).

2.
A local or online salvage yard? Many yards have online search
engines that are very precise. I used www.olstons.com this past
year for a new crankshaft pulley. The transaction went really
well. The part was just fine.

Seems like there have been a fair number of posts here over the
years about failed radiators for early 1990s Hondas. I can add
that, while a dealer shop was diagnosing what turned out to be a
distributor rotor problem on my 91 Civic LX 4-door sedan, they
broke the top of my car's radiator. I didn't get the details.
They just explained this to me when I went to get the car, adding
that I'd got a free, new radiator out of the deal. (But
considering what they charged me for the rotor problem... oh
never mind. It was still less than the cost of a new radiator.)

"Paul Banchero" > wrote

Old November 14th 04, 09:28 PM
Grumpy au Contraire

Radiators just ain't built as well as they used to be.

For example, my 1983 Civic FE project had a mere 110K when it suffered a
cracked head/bad head gasket probably by a driver who ignored the
instrument panel.

The car sat for over ten years before I bought it this summer. After I
swapped the engine out I brought the radiator (which looked in good
shape) to a radiator repair shop of high repute. After cleaning it out
(disassembling the tanks and rodding the core), it proved to be totally
porous. So much for modern radiators, even the full metal one(s).

Oh, and if the dealer ship (As Caroline noted), breaks something, you
can bet your bippy that they even it out somehow...

JT

Old November 14th 04, 11:01 PM
Michael Pardee

There is probably no repair for the tank you have. Something caused it to
crack in the first place - probably erosion on the inside.

A good radiator shop can and will replace tanks on many radiators, assuming
the core is in good shape. My Volvo had plastic tanks, and my favorite rad
shop replaced the cracked top tank with a good metal one and rodded the core
for $75, cash and carry. (I did the removal and installation.) A decade
later it is still doing a good job.

Mike

Old November 16th 04, 03:42 AM
burt squareman

"Paul Banchero" > wrote in message ...

> The upper tank on my '91 Civic Si radiator has a split 1" - 2" long
> immediately above one of the two brackets that support the air intake
> horn - the one closest to the battery. (And, no - I haven't leaned
> on the air horn in the past, though that kind of pressure is what
> causes the split to widen.)
> Realistically, is this repairable by a radiator shop? The tank is
> made of rather thin metal (brass?; aluminum?). I wonder whether
> soldering or brazing would work. I suspect that the shop might
> suggest the replacement of the tank. The alternative is $326 for a
> new radiator! I intend to keep the car for some time.
> Thanks.

I've done 2-3" brazing (on my Civic) using a radiator solder core with
great results. I'll bet very few shops are willing to repair it.

Gas Tank Repair [email protected] Antique cars 2 January 2nd 05 07:24 PM
Civic Timing Belt Saga - Continued disallow Honda 5 November 17th 04 08:44 PM
2003 Civic Gas Milage Pars Honda 2 October 3rd 04 10:23 PM
gas tank sealants-US Standard & others - risk of clogging tiny tank vents etc? bill yohler Antique cars 1 February 29th 04 07:42 AM