HELP Neon Clutch

Old January 3rd 05, 07:12 PM
Michael

Default HELP Neon Clutch

Ok, as per my previous posting, I had the clutch cable snap on my yesturday.
Shouldn't be a big deal changing it, right?
After calling around about a a few Dodge dealers, (cable is considered a
dealer part by everyone I taked to) I managed to locate on within 100miles.
Now, after some fun getting the gromit out of the firewall and the cable
disconnected from the peddle, it was time to look at the bell housing end.
The cable broke right at the end where the cable hooks onto the release
lever in the bell housing.
This is where everything goes down hill.
THE END OF THE CABLE IS MISSING IN BELL HOUSING.
I believe it is lodged somewhere near the release lever as I can not get the
lever to move more then about a quarter of an inch.
Now bringing the car to get fixed at Mr. transmission or the dealer has come
to mind, but I hate the closes dealer, and Mr. transmission can't touch if
till near the end of the week.

Any suggestions? I really need help on this one.

BTW, the car is a 1995 Neon, 2 door, 5 speed manual with approx 380,000km
on it.

Mike
mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca

Old January 4th 05, 05:28 PM
Joe Shcmon

Hi Mike,

2 things come to mind.
1) The clutch may have had a throwout bearing go bad, causing to be very
stiff which in turn caused the cable to break.

2) You just don't have enough leverage to push the lever. They are pretty
stiff to begin with.

I doubt the end ball is lodged anywhere.

Brad

Old January 4th 05, 05:28 PM
Joe Shcmon

Old January 4th 05, 05:40 PM
mike

The biggest thing that bothers me is where that end ball for the cable
has gone too.
That is why I did not proceed to pry the lever.
One question, would you know if the bottom of the Bell housing comes
off in a simular fashion to the bottom plate in an automatic
transmission?
I think that the cable broke due to age and milage, as the car is over
ten years old, and has an almost unheard of milage on it. (380,000km
give or take)
I am going to take another look at it tonight, but probably will have
to bring it in as my girlfriend is getting cranky without her car, and
I hate having to drive her to work at 6am in the morning.

Mike
mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca

Old January 4th 05, 05:40 PM
mike

Old January 7th 05, 03:31 PM
mike

As per previous postings this week, I have a 95 neon with a piece of
the broken clutch cable stuck somewhere within the bell housing.
Called arround to get quotes on dropping the tranny to get this piece
out so that I can connect the new cable and get the gf back on the road
so I don't have to drive her to work.
The only two places that will touch the transmission is the Dealer and
Mr. Transmissions.
What is the big deal with transmissions?
If there was not snow on the ground, I would be dropping the
transmission out of the car, right where it sits in the driveway.
One of my neighbors ones a garage, but said that I could use the
equipment in it, but I was on my own to work on it.

Still don't see what the issue is. I would figure that messing with the
timing belt or anything inside the actual engine would be more of a
risk then droping a transmission.

Mike
mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca

Old January 7th 05, 04:51 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, mike wrote:

> As per previous postings this week, I have a 95 neon with a piece of the
> broken clutch cable stuck somewhere within the bell housing. Called
> arround to get quotes on dropping the tranny to get this piece out so
> that I can connect the new cable and get the gf back on the road so I
> don't have to drive her to work. The only two places that will touch the
> transmission is the Dealer and Mr. Transmissions.

The only two places? H'mm. Where-all did you call?

> What is the big deal with transmissions?

Nothing. That's why I want to know who-all you called.

DS
Old January 7th 05, 04:51 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old January 7th 05, 07:44 PM
mike

Called Speedy Auto Service, Canadian tire (was originally looking for
part and labor price before I bought the cable at the dealer)
Mr. Transmission (they would drop the trany for $425 + tax)
Dealer (they would do it for $95 an hour, forgot how many hours they
quoted)
and a couple of other places. Not very many people will touch
transmissions.
Also keep in mind that I was calling places within 10 to 15 miles from
home, as I would have to tow the car there.

Mike
mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca

95 Neon Clutch cable issues mike Dodge 0 January 4th 05 08:38 PM
95 Neon Clutch, cable snap? Michael Chrysler 6 January 3rd 05 06:08 PM
Land Rover Series 3 Clutch bc 4x4 0 August 13th 04 03:36 PM