Dark Side of Hybrid Vehicles

Old August 7th 05, 06:34 AM
Gordon McGrew

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 17:49:20 GMT, "FanJet" >

>> Steve Bigelow > wrote:
>>
>>> How does it compare to the Smart fortwo?

>> Some Canadians are citing 65mpg on the highway in the smartfortwo,
>> which would seem to be 54MPG US.
>>
>> Canadians are reporting 88MPG highway with the Insight (73 US MPG).
>>
>> What would a smart car get with a hybrid option?
>> An Insight without the hybrid?

>There's no need for a hybrid option but there is a need for the Smart in the
>US.

Why is there a need for the Smart when you can get better milage out
of the gasoline-as-the-onlly-energy-source Insight?

Old August 7th 05, 06:39 AM
Gordon McGrew

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 16:49:56 GMT, "FanJet" >
wrote:

>>> How do they recharge it at night?

>> They have retrofitted a line voltage charging system, an option
>> available only if you have a hybrid system to start with.
>> Manufacturers are considering adding this as standard equipment to
>> their hybrid vehicles.

>Which does nothing but move the pollution upstream and make it virtually
>impossible to accurately calculate MPG.

So let me get this straight. You keep whining that hybrids don't have
any energy source but gasoline, but when someone tells you about a
hybrid which does have a second energy source, you whine about that
too. If they got 5% of their energy from hydrocarbons emitted into
the air by vehicle refueling, would you complain that they were
stealing your gas?

Old August 7th 05, 12:18 PM
Steve Bigelow

"SoCalMike" > wrote in message
> FanJet wrote:
>>
>> I like choice too. Let's bring the smart42 to the US! Considering the
>> odd popularity and re-sale value of the Mini-Cooper, I'd think the
>> Smart42 would make dealerships very wealthy indeed.

> im not too sure, but its worth a shot. the mini is based on an updated
> "retro" design, and backed by BMW. the smart has no history, and im not
> sure its even backed by daimler-chrysler in canada. isnt an independant
> company importing it?

I think you'll have them next year.
Smarts are sold and serviced in Mercedes Benz dealerships, at least in
Ottawa. Smart Cars are a wholly owned subsidiary of MB. The first car sold
in 1998.

Old August 7th 05, 12:31 PM
Steve Bigelow

"SoCalMike" > wrote in message
> FanJet wrote:
>>
>> I like choice too. Let's bring the smart42 to the US! Considering the
>> odd popularity and re-sale value of the Mini-Cooper, I'd think the
>> Smart42 would make dealerships very wealthy indeed.

> im not too sure, but its worth a shot. the mini is based on an updated
> "retro" design, and backed by BMW. the smart has no history, and im not
> sure its even backed by daimler-chrysler in canada. isnt an independant
> company importing it?

Sweet Jesus,...I want this one!
http://www.motorsm.com/collection/ph...OADSTER_SL.jpg

Old August 7th 05, 12:43 PM
Dave

In article >, "Steve Bigelow" > wrote:

>"SoCalMike" > wrote in message
>> FanJet wrote:
>>>
>>> I like choice too. Let's bring the smart42 to the US! Considering the
>>> odd popularity and re-sale value of the Mini-Cooper, I'd think the
>>> Smart42 would make dealerships very wealthy indeed.

>> im not too sure, but its worth a shot. the mini is based on an updated
>> "retro" design, and backed by BMW. the smart has no history, and im not
>> sure its even backed by daimler-chrysler in canada. isnt an independant
>> company importing it?

>I think you'll have them next year.
>Smarts are sold and serviced in Mercedes Benz dealerships, at least in
>Ottawa. Smart Cars are a wholly owned subsidiary of MB. The first car sold
>in 1998.

I'm all for the Smart being sold in the US. More choices is always
a good thing in my book. But alas, DCX nixed the idea about half a
year back. And it looks like the new CEO is less enamored to the
brand than Shremp, who created it. It's been a big money loser
since its inception. Rumors are that he'll shop the brand.

BTW, the diesel Smart sold in Canada has a 0-100 km/h of 19.8 sec!
Old August 7th 05, 01:32 PM
Steve Bigelow

"Dave" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Steve Bigelow"
> > wrote:

>>> im not too sure, but its worth a shot. the mini is based on an updated
>>> "retro" design, and backed by BMW. the smart has no history, and im not
>>> sure its even backed by daimler-chrysler in canada. isnt an independant
>>> company importing it?

>>I think you'll have them next year.
>>Smarts are sold and serviced in Mercedes Benz dealerships, at least in
>>Ottawa. Smart Cars are a wholly owned subsidiary of MB. The first car sold
>>in 1998.

> I'm all for the Smart being sold in the US. More choices is always
> a good thing in my book. But alas, DCX nixed the idea about half a
> year back. And it looks like the new CEO is less enamored to the
> brand than Shremp, who created it. It's been a big money loser
> since its inception. Rumors are that he'll shop the brand.
>
> BTW, the diesel Smart sold in Canada has a 0-100 km/h of 19.8 sec!

Yep. And 95 a litre regular gas!
The can't keep them in stock.

Old August 7th 05, 03:18 PM
Abeness

Steve Bigelow wrote:
> Sweet Jesus,...I want this one!
> http://www.motorsm.com/collection/ph...OADSTER_SL.jpg

Definitely cute, but it would be a royal PITA to keep the headlights
clear in heavy snow. Would need some sort of a cover, for sure. But then
not too many folks in snowy climates would go for a convertable, I guess.
Old August 7th 05, 03:26 PM
Dave

Oh, here's a good site for gov't real world test results of various
HEV's:

avt.inel.gov/hev.shtml
Old August 8th 05, 02:01 AM
SoCalMike

Gordon McGrew wrote:

>>>Some Canadians are citing 65mpg on the highway in the smartfortwo,
>>>which would seem to be 54MPG US.
>>>
>>>Canadians are reporting 88MPG highway with the Insight (73 US MPG).
>>>
>>>What would a smart car get with a hybrid option?
>>>An Insight without the hybrid?

>>There's no need for a hybrid option but there is a need for the Smart in the
>>US.

> Why is there a need for the Smart when you can get better milage out
> of the gasoline-as-the-onlly-energy-source Insight?

different strokes for different folks. isnt the smart supposed to be
cheaper? then theres people like me who dont have a 2-car garage and
dont drive much. id much rather have a smart and have room left over for
3 more motorcycles or scooters

LIDAR Trial this Week [email protected] Driving 17 April 9th 06 02:44 AM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Mission impossible: Replacing prelude side lamp bulb Chris Honda 3 July 12th 05 01:52 PM
98 Intrigue Dual A/C blows warm on one side John Clonts Technology 0 July 9th 05 09:56 PM
What the heck is Dark Khaki Roy Jeep 3 January 25th 05 02:54 PM