E46 won't start

Old July 27th 08, 09:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
anoop

Default E46 won't start

My 2003 325i won't start. The last few times I started the
car it did have a kind of "choked" feel to it. The battery seems
OK as the lights and stuff turn on fine. When I turn the ignition
I here clicking, but no life in the engine.

The car has 118K miles.

Any ideas what the problem might be? I'm planning to
get it towed to the service shop by AAA tomorrow.

Anoop
Old July 27th 08, 11:03 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob Smitter

"anoop" > wrote:

> My 2003 325i won't start. The last few times I started the
> car it did have a kind of "choked" feel to it. The battery seems
> OK as the lights and stuff turn on fine. When I turn the ignition
> I here clicking, but no life in the engine.
>
> The car has 118K miles.

And how many years on the battery? If it is original, that is the
problem. No matter about the lights, etc.

Old July 27th 08, 11:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

When you turn the key and hear clicking, that's the sound of a dead battery.

Power to a device is a function of the voltage, current and the load. When
the voltage is low and a load comes online that demands high current (the
starter motor for example) the voltage will drop to the point where the load
turns off but you've not let go of the key so the voltage comes up again and
the load returns drawing the voltage down, and so on. The result is
clicking.

Buy a new battery.

Old July 28th 08, 01:28 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jim[_41_]

"anoop" > wrote in message
> My 2003 325i won't start. The last few times I started the
> car it did have a kind of "choked" feel to it. The battery seems
> OK as the lights and stuff turn on fine. When I turn the ignition
> I here clicking, but no life in the engine.
>
> The car has 118K miles.
>
> Any ideas what the problem might be? I'm planning to
> get it towed to the service shop by AAA tomorrow.
>
> Anoop

This is the classic indication of a dead battery.
Clicking means that the starter solenoid is working.
Not starting means that the battery is bad.
Lights working is not a good test.

Jim

Old July 28th 08, 02:30 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

anoop > wrote:
>My 2003 325i won't start. The last few times I started the
>car it did have a kind of "choked" feel to it. The battery seems
>OK as the lights and stuff turn on fine. When I turn the ignition
>I here clicking, but no life in the engine.

Do the lights dim when you hear the click?

If not, it's most likely the starter.

>Any ideas what the problem might be? I'm planning to
>get it towed to the service shop by AAA tomorrow.

Can't you just push start it and drive it down? Odds are if it is the
starter that it will pushstart fine.
--scott
Old July 28th 08, 04:36 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
anoop

On Jul 27, 3:03*pm, "Bob Smitter" > wrote:

> And how many years on the battery? *If it is original, that is the
> problem. *No matter about the lights, etc.

Thanks for all the replies.

The battery has never been replace. However, the car was
in for an oil service a couple of months ago and at that time
the battery tested out fine.

Hard for me to do anything else; car is not in a place where
it can be push started, nor can I get help for that. I'll just
call AAA tomorrow...most likely they'll try a jump-start before
towing. Will keep you guys posted on what the problem is. :-)

Anoop
Old July 28th 08, 05:34 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
anoop

On Jul 27, 6:30*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> Do the lights dim when you hear the click?
>
> If not, it's most likely the starter.

I went out to test this and the car started! May be it just
wanted the day off. I went out for a spin. I'm hoping it'll
start again tomorrow morning so that I can take to the
mechanic to get it checked.

(But it was definitely a "weak"/hesitant start.)

Anoop
Old July 28th 08, 09:35 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"anoop" > wrote in message
On Jul 27, 6:30 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> Do the lights dim when you hear the click?
>
> If not, it's most likely the starter.

I went out to test this and the car started! May be it just
wanted the day off. I went out for a spin. I'm hoping it'll
start again tomorrow morning so that I can take to the
mechanic to get it checked.

(But it was definitely a "weak"/hesitant start.)

Anoop

Well charge the battery overnight.

Old July 28th 08, 11:04 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
frischmoutt

Clicking when the key is turned is a good symptom for a bad voltage.

Could be
* a discharged battery, it couldn't if the car is normally used and the
lights not left on for long. Otherwise, there's a leakage or a bad charge
current or something else.
* a partly shorted battery (one element and it happened to me last month),
the impact on the lights is barely visible from inside the car. The voltage
may almost be constant around 10.2 V.
* or bad contact between the battery terminal and the cable.

first check the bad contact, second connect a DVM into the cigar lighter and
turn the key on, read the voltage before and while clicking, third, if
trying to charge the battery doesn't solve the issue, replace it
A fully charged battery should exhibit 12.7 V everything below 12V means
that a service is necessary.

Old July 28th 08, 02:35 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Alan B. Mac Farlane

smog control system ...

my 528i ... as soon as all the lights on dashboard go out, it is running
clean and according the government specifications for clean air, it smog
tests itself and passes at the turn of the ignition ...

.... this is a very quality car and really doesn't need smog checks at all if
the person wants to keep the car running, keep it up to snuff.

don't fox around with it ...

in your case, you got some high mileage repairs to sort out.

sometimes it is just a matter of replacing the oxygen sensor or what ever is
broken ... and it will run as it is suppose to .. until the engine is spent.

sumbuddie wear blind sea

in article
, anoop at