clutch peddle

Old May 6th 08, 09:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike chambers

Default clutch peddle

This past weekend i had my Jeep blessed at the blessing of the Jeeps
here in Mi.
A little over an hour into my trip i watched my clutch peddle go to
the floor. I was on the highway doing 65/70 the whole time. I down
shifted a few times for some hills . I stoped to check the fluid in the
master cylinder and it was fine. I pumped the peddle a few times and it
built pressure back up and was fine . It did the same thing on the way
home also. Since i've gotten home and drove around town it is fine. Not
sure what would make it do that? Any ideas? Sorry for so much typeing.
It's an 87 YJ with the 2.5

Later Mike

Old May 6th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_23_]

The master cylinder can be bad and not leak any fluid.

Earle

Old May 6th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike chambers

It's strange it only did it on the highway. I drive it every day to work
but thats back roads and 12 miles one way. It would not hurt to replace
the master cylinder . I'll try it . Thanks

Later Mike

Old May 6th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Mike chambers wrote:

> It's strange it only did it on the highway. I drive it every day to work
> but thats back roads and 12 miles one way. It would not hurt to replace
> the master cylinder . I'll try it . Thanks

The master cylinder is a simplified version of the brake master - it does
not hold any residual pressure when released. It has a simple one-way
valve - usually just a rubber flapper thing that lets fluid flow into the
chamber until you step on the pedal and get pressure on it to close. The
crud that forms over time will cause those to leak like what you report
then clear themselves after a few pumps. You may get by for a while just
by changing the fluid and cleaning the one you have, but that black goo
comes from deteriorating rubber so it's likely on it's way out anyway (or
you have a hose getting old).

--
Will Honea

94 Explorer Clutch fluid Disappearing & clutch slip rolleye Ford Explorer 1 July 12th 07 03:43 PM
98 ac clutch help 98pit Jeep 1 June 13th 07 05:51 PM
AWA [OFFER] Clutch Cover,Clutch Facing [email protected] General 0 January 15th 06 01:55 PM
1994 Ford Ranger Clutch slipping when hot- clutch has 1000 miles on it. RobertJohnC 4x4 1 November 24th 05 11:43 PM
Clutch slipping. Clutch cyl or need a new clutch bobbob1015 BMW 6 May 21st 05 12:19 AM