How do I find (and fix) problem with main relay on 91 Accord??

Old August 9th 05, 11:36 PM
Spoilaz via CarKB.com

Default How do I find (and fix) problem with main relay on 91 Accord??

When its hot out, my 91 Accord will not start. The check engine light will
stay on. After banging on the dash and letting it sit for a while I turn the
key and I hear the fuel pump kick in (which it didnt before letting it sit)
and it will start on the first crank. I have heard from a couple of people
that this is a common problem for this model 90-93. They said to resolder
the main relay. Where is the main relay located and how do I fix this
problem? Will resoldering the connection fix this?

Old August 10th 05, 12:12 AM
remco

"Spoilaz via CarKB.com" > wrote in message
> When its hot out, my 91 Accord will not start. The check engine light

will
> stay on. After banging on the dash and letting it sit for a while I turn

the
> key and I hear the fuel pump kick in (which it didnt before letting it

sit)
> and it will start on the first crank. I have heard from a couple of

people
> that this is a common problem for this model 90-93. They said to resolder
> the main relay. Where is the main relay located and how do I fix this
> problem? Will resoldering the connection fix this?

It should be near your left knee, under the panel. You can often see them by
looking up into your dash. This site has a very good description:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/start...html#mainrelay

Old August 10th 05, 12:51 AM
Spoilaz via CarKB.com

I looked at the site that you recomended and it seems pretty cut and dry.
When I get home from work tonight I will take a look under the dash and see
if I can fix it. Thank you very much for the info and I will post the
results soon.

Old August 10th 05, 03:23 AM
motsco_ _

Spoilaz via CarKB.com wrote:
> I looked at the site that you recomended and it seems pretty cut and dry.
> When I get home from work tonight I will take a look under the dash and see
> if I can fix it. Thank you very much for the info and I will post the
> results soon.

Actually, we already know what the results will be. The solution is
always the same, and if you do it properly, you won't be back for 10
more years. :-)

'Curly'