Difference between P225x75R15 and P235x75R15 on SUV

Old June 20th 16, 12:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Henning Schröder

Default Difference between P225x75R15 and P235x75R15 on SUV

I'm on Tire Rack and need to make a choice to help a friend.
What's the *practical* difference of 10mm wider tread?

1. This SUV is a dozen years old & has never been off road
2. This SUV is used like a car & never carries a heavy load
3. What matters to the owner is economy & safety

From the standpoint of economy (e.g., miles per tire), I don't
know if a 10mm wider tire will last longer or shorter. Do you?

From safety, I "guess" that 10mm more of tread width is safer,
but the driver is a little old lady (literally) in a no-snow
state, so, traction isn't really a problem.

Any idea what's best?

Stock OEM is 225x75R15
Current tires are 235x75R15 but I'm replacing all four.

What difference (practically) does 10mm make?
Old June 20th 16, 01:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Henning Schröder wrote:
> I'm on Tire Rack and need to make a choice to help a friend.
> What's the *practical* difference of 10mm wider tread?
>
> 1. This SUV is a dozen years old & has never been off road
> 2. This SUV is used like a car & never carries a heavy load
> 3. What matters to the owner is economy & safety
>
> From the standpoint of economy (e.g., miles per tire), I don't
> know if a 10mm wider tire will last longer or shorter. Do you?
>
> From safety, I "guess" that 10mm more of tread width is safer,
> but the driver is a little old lady (literally) in a no-snow
> state, so, traction isn't really a problem.
>
> Any idea what's best?
>
> Stock OEM is 225x75R15
> Current tires are 235x75R15 but I'm replacing all four.
>
> What difference (practically) does 10mm make?

225 & 235 are section widths, not tread width.
Try to keep the tread width about the same as the wheel width.
Measure the wheel bead to bead width then look up tables that list
acceptable section widths for that wheel.
Or, ask the tire place.

Old June 20th 16, 01:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Chet Kincaid

Wouldn't changing require different wheels? Why not go with the size you
already have?
Old June 20th 16, 01:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Henning Schröder wrote:
> I'm on Tire Rack and need to make a choice to help a friend.
> What's the *practical* difference of 10mm wider tread?
>
> 1. This SUV is a dozen years old & has never been off road
> 2. This SUV is used like a car & never carries a heavy load
> 3. What matters to the owner is economy & safety
>
> From the standpoint of economy (e.g., miles per tire), I don't
> know if a 10mm wider tire will last longer or shorter. Do you?
>
> From safety, I "guess" that 10mm more of tread width is safer,
> but the driver is a little old lady (literally) in a no-snow
> state, so, traction isn't really a problem.
>
> Any idea what's best?
>
> Stock OEM is 225x75R15
> Current tires are 235x75R15 but I'm replacing all four.
>
> What difference (practically) does 10mm make?

For this use, None. The only thing that would be different is that the
235 tire is about 1/2 inch in diameter larger. The speedometer will read
slower than actual speed.

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Difference

225/75-15 6.6in 14.1in 28.3in 88.9in 0%

235/75-15 6.9in 14.4in 28.9in 90.7in 2.1%

--
Steve W.
Old June 20th 16, 01:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Doug Miller[_3_]

Chet Kincaid > wrote in news:WIydnc9K27flqPrKnZ2dnUU7-
:

> Wouldn't changing require different wheels? Why not go with the size you
> already have?

That's not enough of a difference in width to require different wheels.
Old June 20th 16, 02:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 23:44:30 -0000 (UTC), Henning Schröder
> wrote:

>I'm on Tire Rack and need to make a choice to help a friend.
>What's the *practical* difference of 10mm wider tread?
>
>1. This SUV is a dozen years old & has never been off road
>2. This SUV is used like a car & never carries a heavy load
>3. What matters to the owner is economy & safety
>
>From the standpoint of economy (e.g., miles per tire), I don't
>know if a 10mm wider tire will last longer or shorter. Do you?
>
>From safety, I "guess" that 10mm more of tread width is safer,
>but the driver is a little old lady (literally) in a no-snow
>state, so, traction isn't really a problem.
>
>Any idea what's best?
>
>Stock OEM is 225x75R15
>Current tires are 235x75R15 but I'm replacing all four.
>
>What difference (practically) does 10mm make?

7.5 mm difference in hight (rolling diameter). It will make the
speedo read just a tiny bit low. The difference in treadlife
(increase) and traction (increase) will be so small as to be virtually
undetectible by the driver.
Old June 20th 16, 02:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 19:14:48 -0500, Chet Kincaid
> wrote:

>Wouldn't changing require different wheels? Why not go with the size you
>already have?

unless there is a clearance problem, a 235 will fit the same wheel as
the 225. Only 10mm width difference, and 7.5mm diameter - or3.75mm
standing height. I have 235 winter tires and 225 summer tires on my
pickup
Old June 20th 16, 02:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman

On 06/19/2016 06:14 PM, Chet Kincaid wrote:
> Wouldn't changing require different wheels?

No.

> Why not go with the size you already have?

Some sizes are more readily available or cheaper.

Old June 20th 16, 02:57 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman

On 06/19/2016 05:44 PM, Henning Schröder wrote:
> Any idea what's best?
>
> Stock OEM is 225x75R15
> Current tires are 235x75R15 but I'm replacing all four.

Which is cheapest or is available in the brand/style you want? Like
others have said there isn't enough difference to matter.
Old June 20th 16, 03:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Henning Schröder

Chet Kincaid auf Sun, 19 Jun 2016 19:14:48 -0500 geschrieben ...

> Wouldn't changing require different wheels?

It's only a few millimeters.
The wheels are the same for both widths.

What a Difference! R C Nesbit Alfa Romeo 13 January 12th 10 10:21 AM
why the difference [email protected] Technology 1 March 12th 06 08:10 PM
Oil, big difference? jbjeep Jeep 13 October 13th 05 03:42 AM
What is the difference between the CJ5 and the CJ7 Ronny Jeep 11 September 21st 05 01:45 AM
What's the difference between a C5 & C6? MP Corvette 2 March 25th 05 05:23 PM