Old VW's Unsafe?

Old October 14th 04, 02:51 AM
ilambert

Default Old VW's Unsafe?

Sorry then,it sure sounded trollish.A Beetle and a 2CV eh?All you need is a
Fiat and the E.U. is covered.

Old October 14th 04, 03:54 AM
Ben Boyle

I wouldn't be against owning an old Fiat 500, but alas, money is not unlimited.

Old October 14th 04, 04:57 AM
Lyle Beaulac

"Sm704" > wrote in message

> No, just a safety concerned buyer. How does that make me a troll? I
> asked a simple question and expected some honest opinions. Instead, I
> get called a troll. As I type this, I am trying to find the article I
> read so I can post a link to it if you don't believe me...

Despite Mr. Hoover's well-deserved reputation on the NG, I don't think
you're a troll.

The article to which you refer probably is based on a consumer-watch report
from the mid-80's (sorry, can't remember either the program or the exact
year) that found VW Beetles up to and including 1972 models had a weakness
in the front seat mounting rail design which would cause the rails to fail
in the event of a rear-end collision of sufficient force. In such a
collision the seat would tilt backwards violently, pivoting around the lower
rear seat frame, and launch the driver/passenger into the rear seat, where
his/her head and neck would then unsuccessfully attempt to prevent the rest
of his or her body to bury itself in the rear seat backrest. The neck
usually lost.

A number of para- and quadrapelegics were documented to have resulted from
this little flaw. Evidently the seat mount redesign of 1973 corrected the
problem. After the report came out, there were a few aftermarket fixes that
surfaced. I recall a reinforcing clamp that went around the seat rail, and a
strap gizmo that basically tied the front end of the seat frame down more
solidly. Don't know if either solution was actually tested with crash-test
dummies.

As this report came out long after my '72 Super had succumbed to entropy, I
simply counted myself fortunate to have dodged that fate. I'm somewhat
surprised that none of the long-time airheads on this newsgroup remembered
it, though.

Regards, and safe V-dubbing,
Lyle Beaulac
'81 Westy

Old October 14th 04, 06:53 AM
Hal

> Is it true that if you get into an accident driving an old Volkswagen,
> you will be severely injured? I was shocked when I recently read that

Probably. Same to be said for just about any car. Learn how to drive
defensively. However, in your case I would just advise not driving at
all. You seem to be a "few fries short of a happy meal" if you know
what I mean.

Regards,

Chris
Old October 14th 04, 01:59 PM
Kafertoys

>I wouldn't be against owning an old Fiat 500,

I was into Fiats even brought a 850 spider back from Germany, but I also
brought back a son and a 2 seater wasn't practical.

came close once to owning a 2CV but I couldn't see my driving around a Duck.(a
nickname for them in Grmany)

Mario
Old October 14th 04, 03:57 PM
Kidd Andersson

>You seem to be a "few fries short of a happy meal" if you know
>what I mean.

HAHAHA! I *so* give up my quote of the year for that one! lol

Kidd
What's the difference between a northern fairytale and a southern fairytale? A
northern fairytale starts out "Once upon a time..." A southern fairytale starts
with "Ya'll ain't gonna believe this ****..."
Old October 16th 04, 03:53 PM
Sm704

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...ctober/03.html
Old October 16th 04, 06:44 PM
Chris Perdue

>Well, I said I would post a link to the article, and here it is:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...ctober/03.html

well you sure did put alot of stock in those two guys opinions, and now you
have a bunch of other ones...now take that, do some research and form your
own....
-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old October 16th 04, 07:06 PM
Dennis Wik

I apologize for thinking you to be a troll. I just used "Duck" logic
and you fit. Sorry. Dennis

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Old October 16th 04, 11:20 PM
Braukuche

>Well, I said I would post a link to the article, and here it is:
>
>http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...ctober/03.html

Hardly conclusive evidence, espeically when before you were talking about Bugs
and the artical was about Busses. A while back someone posted a link to an
safety study done on Vanagons, another rear engined vehicle, and showed the
result of a collision between a Vanagon and a Volvo. The Vanagon hit the Volvo
head on and proceeded to ride up the hood of the Volvo right into its cab.
Guess who "won" that encounter...
So I guess that proves Volvos are unsafe.
I will not argue that an antique Bus or Bug is safer than a modern car. You
would have to be insane to suggest that, but then a few weeks ago we lost a
former student at my school who was driving a brand new Mercedes and was killed
when he went flying off the road at a high rate of speed and crashed head on
into a boulder. No car is going to guarantee you safety, a good portion of that
responsibility lies with you the driver.
--Dan E