Simple Bus alt question, honest.

Old October 19th 04, 08:39 AM
Juper Wort

Default Simple Bus alt question, honest.

Hello
'73 bus, with alternator. Not charging battery. I'm guessing that bulb may
have blown, but since its dark when I get home now, its not too easy to
crawl about underneath the dash doing my Vet bit. I tried swapping bulbs
with another lamp, but the little ****ers wont go back in right.
I will get the instrument panel off at the weekend, so to prepare, I went
through the wiring diagrams to get my head around it, and now have a couple
of questions.

On the vintage bus diagram, which is the one arranged by current tracks,
there seems to be more than a wire and a bulb at the instrument panel for
the warning lamp. Can anyone confirm this. I was under the impression that I
was just looking for one wire and a bulb holder !

On the schematic diagram for the '71, which I sometimes use because its got
the relative positions marked out, the wire seems to split & go two ways.
Again confirmation of this would be appreciated.

Thanks

James

Old October 19th 04, 12:39 PM
Speedy Jim

Juper Wort wrote:

> Hello
> '73 bus, with alternator. Not charging battery. I'm guessing that bulb may
> have blown, but since its dark when I get home now, its not too easy to
> crawl about underneath the dash doing my Vet bit. I tried swapping bulbs
> with another lamp, but the little ****ers wont go back in right.
> I will get the instrument panel off at the weekend, so to prepare, I went
> through the wiring diagrams to get my head around it, and now have a couple
> of questions.
>
> On the vintage bus diagram, which is the one arranged by current tracks,
> there seems to be more than a wire and a bulb at the instrument panel for
> the warning lamp. Can anyone confirm this. I was under the impression that I
> was just looking for one wire and a bulb holder !
>
> On the schematic diagram for the '71, which I sometimes use because its got
> the relative positions marked out, the wire seems to split & go two ways.
> Again confirmation of this would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> James

That's the Blue wire. The confusion comes about because the
Blue wire is also used to test the lamp in the Brake Warning light (K7).
But the diagram looks like there is a single wire (Blu) on the
ALT light socket. Splice T8 must be part of the Main harness.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old October 19th 04, 04:51 PM
John Connolly

focus on the dash warning light. If this is not operational (bad bulb), the
alternator WILL NOT CHARGE.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

Old October 20th 04, 01:25 PM
Juper Wort

"John Connolly" > wrote in message
> focus on the dash warning light. If this is not operational (bad bulb),

the
> alternator WILL NOT CHARGE.
>
> John
> Aircooled.Net Inc.

Thats exactly where I will start. I bought a pair yesterday @ £1.19 each for
a thing the size of a grain of rice ! Will wait for daylight on Saturday :-)

James

Old October 21st 04, 03:05 AM
Jim Adney

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:39:07 +0100 "Juper Wort"
> wrote:

>'73 bus, with alternator. Not charging battery. I'm guessing that bulb may
>have blown,

Does the bulb light when you turn the key ON? It should, and if it
doesn't then there is either a problem with the bulb or it's wiring.

>On the schematic diagram for the '71, which I sometimes use because its got
>the relative positions marked out, the wire seems to split & go two ways.
>Again confirmation of this would be appreciated.

The '71 has a generator instead of an alternator, so the wiring
concepts are completely different.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old October 21st 04, 08:14 AM
Juper Wort

"Jim Adney" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:39:07 +0100 "Juper Wort"
> > wrote:
>
> >'73 bus, with alternator. Not charging battery. I'm guessing that bulb

may
> >have blown,

> Does the bulb light when you turn the key ON? It should, and if it
> doesn't then there is either a problem with the bulb or it's wiring.

No Bulb on at all, hence purchase of new one + spare. After scrabbling about
in the cold wet & dark upside down with a torch in my mouth, will attempt
this at the weekend when I can get things apart so I can actually *see* what
I am up to.

Thanks for all the replies

James

E34 question Vernon Balbert BMW 11 October 27th 04 01:37 PM
JEEP question - 4.0 vs 4.0HO James Morrow 4x4 12 June 2nd 04 05:16 PM