Anyone else playing with the official pre release Vista? (XP reduex)

Old October 12th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy

Default Anyone else playing with the official pre release Vista? (XP reduex)

Just putting out my preliminary findings...

I did get and Image the pre release candidate of Vista... & Installed this
on a machine I was gonna kill anyhow (figured what the hell, right?).
Well, Nascar Racing 2003 (papyrus) the machine would crash when I was just
running XP, that is at the point loading NR03 (when you got into the car to
drive). Im not positive, because the computer did NOT exit out of
GTLegends as gracefully as I am used to... But this new OS, Just might be
end of the road, for my favorite game.. I will recheck tonight, but it was
as if the game was on an old 486 system, that was just through the menu's...
of course I couldn't/didn't try to drive it, since I was not done with my
question, will my wheel work with it... About then I had to leave.

but I was surprised, since I did the UPGRADE to vista beta (not fresh
install) that my already installed on XP home... Microsoft Sidewinder FF
Wheel and pedals do and did work, and the SW thingy worked too!?

So, it Plays my GTL just fine.

Old October 12th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

I know some folks are running it on Vista and supposidly there are no issues
noted.

The biggest problem with Vista, now, is the license agreement. If you
haven't read the news, you should research this (ZDNet has an article on
it).

If you are an enthusiast and upgrade often, your life will suck with Vista.

In short, even if you buy the FULL version, you can only transfer it to
another computer ONE time. After that, you have to buy a new package.

-Larry

Old October 12th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mitch.A

Im running RC2 (5745) and other than no Logitech CP (tried Wingman 4.6
without success) to enable/adjust FF and all around weak driver support in
general (at this stage) it's pretty stable and has decent performance on my
older P4-3.2/6800GT. After the disastrous first public release they have
came a long way.

GTR2 looks a bit different using DX10. I didn't try any other sims. Seems
a bit more like actual daylight instead of the perpetual foggy look of
Simbin sims.

All and all Id say this will be a worthy evolutionary step from XP.

Not real pleased with the EULA from Vista but Ill wait till release to whine
about the policies. I sure don't like the idea of renting software

Mitch

Old October 12th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
mls067

Mitch.A wrote:
> Im running RC2 (5745) and other than no Logitech CP (tried Wingman 4.6
> without success) to enable/adjust FF and all around weak driver support
> in general (at this stage) it's pretty stable and has decent performance
> on my older P4-3.2/6800GT. After the disastrous first public release
> they have came a long way.
>
> GTR2 looks a bit different using DX10. I didn't try any other sims.
> Seems a bit more like actual daylight instead of the perpetual foggy
> look of Simbin sims.
>

> All and all Id say this will be a worthy evolutionary step from XP.
>
> Not real pleased with the EULA from Vista but Ill wait till release to
> whine about the policies. I sure don't like the idea of renting
> software
>

> Mitch
>

> "PlowBoy" > wrote in message
>> Just putting out my preliminary findings...
>>
>> I did get and Image the pre release candidate of Vista... & Installed
>> this on a machine I was gonna kill anyhow (figured what the hell,
>> right?). Well, Nascar Racing 2003 (papyrus) the machine would crash
>> when I was just running XP, that is at the point loading NR03 (when
>> you got into the car to drive). Im not positive, because the
>> computer did NOT exit out of GTLegends as gracefully as I am used
>> to... But this new OS, Just might be end of the road, for my favorite
>> game.. I will recheck tonight, but it was as if the game was on an
>> old 486 system, that was just through the menu's... of course I
>> couldn't/didn't try to drive it, since I was not done with my
>> question, will my wheel work with it... About then I had to leave.
>>
>> but I was surprised, since I did the UPGRADE to vista beta (not fresh
>> install) that my already installed on XP home... Microsoft Sidewinder
>> FF Wheel and pedals do and did work, and the SW thingy worked too!?
>>
>> So, it Plays my GTL just fine.

So nascar 2003 works with vista? I put rc1 on my new dell laptop because
I really don't want to screw with my primary gaming machine. It works
great on the laptop btw. I have had very few issues with it. Minor
crashes when loading some windows,,even window windows,,heheh,,but even
when that happens it recovers very well for me. As for my gaming rig it
has mostly new stuff in it, but does vista support my momo racing wheel,
the black one not the red.

Mike

Mike
Old October 13th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mitch.A

It will work but without any FF effects. Maybe we can convince someone that
recently received a G25 make his Profiler v5 software on some ftp site

Mitch

Old October 13th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mike

"Mitch.A" > wrote in message
et...
> It will work but without any FF effects. Maybe we can convince someone
> that recently received a G25 make his Profiler v5 software on some ftp
> site
>
> Mitch
>

> "mls067" > wrote in message news:FsyXg.5195$%
> As for my gaming rig it
>> has mostly new stuff in it, but does vista support my momo racing wheel,
>> the black one not the red.
>>

>> Mike
>>

>> Mike

ok, anybody wanna help ;-)

Old October 13th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy

Oh,

You get the feeling that DX10 will not be offered for XP? hmm.

Oh and crap, Im gonna have to give it a look!!! I didn't try GTL with dx10,
(picked 7 out of the setup because I only have a lowly 6600gt (128) on this
478 2.8ghz pentium system, with 7xx meg ram, not even sure it "knew" about
dx10...)

I have to do some motherboard swappin to do, and try a fresh install Vista,
see what happens when I install the sidewinder, I bet you it fails badly.
But, I am pretty sure this box and or my other boxes I might do ever have
Vista on (until I can afford the $300 limited-edition G25 wheel) will have
to install the Pre Service pack 2 version of XP, install the wheel, then
install Vista as an upgrade.

This junk machine I'm beta testing vista on, wouldnt run NR03 with xp, &
crashes to bios everytime I got into the car to drive. Someone pointed to
VIA chipset problem, so Im tossing the board for a different 478 board I
have that has a dead onboard sound. (everything has turned to junk lately).
Try er again. so much I want to try, so little friggin time...

Someone remind me what is different about Vista & XP licensing? I am
probably wrong, but I was under the impression they did NOT want you to
install XP on anymore than "one machine" (even the retail version) but when
I had to call MS to activate, I explained to them, that my motherboard had
died and this was just an upgrade of the original system (memory cpu
motherboard) they let me activate it. BTW this is the 1st time I did this
with Pro.

Plus the Harddrive is going bad now (I guess 4 years always on, is decent
life on that old 200 gig'r) so I am cloning (partition magic8) the 2
partitions onto the new drive (now I know whey I should NOT have bought the
Hitachi drive, there was not (that I could find) any free or downloadable
Software to "move" my system on to the new drive like my seagate had... I
mean from hitachi, not that I couldnt find some util on the net that is LIKE
ghost..

Andrew MacPherson enlightened us with:

Old October 14th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mike

http://www.techweb.com/wire/software/193300234 this link explains it

Old October 14th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mitch_A[_1_]

Licensing Vista will be exactly as XP was. Read the article from Paul
Thurott in a previous post called "Vista Licensing is a joke".

Ive been using the same Image for XP for years and expect after installing
Vista I will again image it for later re-install.

Mitch