Oxygen sensor question

Old September 6th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

Default Oxygen sensor question

The check engine light on my 96 Cherokee is on, and the code is calling
out the rear (after converter) oxygen sensor.

Auto Zone lists two sensors, both made by Bosch, one "O.E." type for
$120 and a universal type for $55.

Money IS an object here, is there any huge hassle in using the cheaper
universal sensor? Is there any overriding reason that I should spend
the extra money for the O.E. sensor?

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt
Old September 6th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Jeffrey DeWitt wrote:
> The check engine light on my 96 Cherokee is on, and the code is
> calling out the rear (after converter) oxygen sensor.
>
> Auto Zone lists two sensors, both made by Bosch, one "O.E." type for
> $120 and a universal type for $55.
>
> Money IS an object here, is there any huge hassle in using the cheaper
> universal sensor? Is there any overriding reason that I should spend
> the extra money for the O.E. sensor?

1996 XJ? I don't show a rear O2 sensor for that model.
and the OEM forward O2 sensor is only $63 from chryslerpartsdirect.com
The rear sensor started in 1997 and lists as $76.13 OEM

The only real difference in universal vs OEM is having to connectorize it.
Sometimes that can be a real pain in the ass.

You can just put up with the CE light as all the rear
O2 sensor does is check to see if the cat is working properly.
Only the forward O2 sensor controls engine mixture.

One thing to try first is to get under, disconnect the harness
from the sensor then spray the connector with some contact cleaner.
Then put it back together. Don't spray the sensor.

--
DougW

Old September 6th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

Doug,

Yep, it's a 96 XJ, I know it's got the sensor because I've seen it, and
the parts stores do list both sensors.

I have to fix it because it won't pass inspection with that light on and
a trouble code, otherwise I'd just take the bulb out, that fix worked
fine with the up shift light!

The sensor has over 300,000 miles on it and has been acting up for about
the last 100,000 but cleaning the connector first is a good idea, I'll
try that before spending the money on a new one.

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt

Old September 6th 06, 11:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jo Bo

Do a google for it. I paid about $120 for both OEM types for my old 96. The
front one is worn out at 300k even if there is no cel. You'll get more
MPG's. As another posted, try reseating the connectors first.
They originally had DENSO brand o2 sensors. They have them he
http://replacement.autopartswarehous...Sensor&dp=true

JoBo

. ..

Old September 6th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeeper

the cheaper one will not have the plug on it.. you will have to splice and
connect the wires together.

Old September 7th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Hi Jeff,
There are much cheaper original manufacture replacements. But a word
of warning if you chose one that must be adapted, do it per instructions
as any change in the length of their wires throws something off! like
they breath through the wire mech. Examples:
http://www.billhughes.com/95YJo2sensor.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old September 7th 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bllsht[_1_]

In message <cxrLg.9989$JR5.6771@dukeread11>, "DougW" wrote:

>Jeffrey DeWitt wrote:
>> The check engine light on my 96 Cherokee is on, and the code is
>> calling out the rear (after converter) oxygen sensor.
>>
>> Auto Zone lists two sensors, both made by Bosch, one "O.E." type for
>> $120 and a universal type for $55.
>>
>> Money IS an object here, is there any huge hassle in using the cheaper
>> universal sensor? Is there any overriding reason that I should spend
>> the extra money for the O.E. sensor?

>1996 XJ? I don't show a rear O2 sensor for that model.
>and the OEM forward O2 sensor is only $63 from chryslerpartsdirect.com
>The rear sensor started in 1997 and lists as $76.13 OEM

You need a new book. OBDII and cat monitoring started in '96.

>The only real difference in universal vs OEM is having to connectorize it.
>Sometimes that can be a real pain in the ass.

I see tons of failed aftermarket Bosch O2 sensors, and the universal ones are
the worst.

>You can just put up with the CE light as all the rear
>O2 sensor does is check to see if the cat is working properly.
>Only the forward O2 sensor controls engine mixture.

Not entirely true.

Old September 11th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

I recommend getting a sensor that is a direct plug-in, NOT a universal one
that has to be spliced.

Old September 11th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

REPLY #2
I recently (last week) installed a Bosch O2 Sensor in my Bronco that cost me
just over $45.