Jeep CJ7 Mopar MPFI - Failed California Smog Test

Old July 7th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Tate Austin via CarKB.com

Default Jeep CJ7 Mopar MPFI - Failed California Smog Test

Have had the MPFI on my CJ-7 for several years. Very satisfied. Problem is,
have moved to CA from TX - in CA they test for NOX - CO and CO2 readings are
excellent - failed NOX. Tester (reliable; actually a "Referee" )said the
engine was running too lean, thus failed NOX. Looking for a fix, larger
injectors?? Just advance the timing?? Need to find out - trying to
regeister in CA - but need to pass Smog

Old July 7th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Is your EGR working? That is supposed to cut out NOx by cooling the top
end I think.

Geese, I got 589 NOx on my manually tuned (no computer) BBD (POS) carb
in my CJ7 on a recent test and I don't even have a catalytic converter,
just a straight pipe to a Dynomax turbo muffler.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 7th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Hi Tate,
I'm surprised he didn't fail you for the injection, as any variance
from stock needs certification. Was your CJ a Kalifornia car to begin
with, or a state requiring a catalytic converter? NOX is it's job:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter2.htm Anyway, a new
converter will solve your problem.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 8th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
c[_1_]

Like Bill said, the cat helps take care of NOx, but it needs to be at
operating temperature for it to function like it should. Take your Jeep for
a good highway run right before you take it in for the test, and it will
help immensely.

Chris

Old July 8th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Ditto: http://www.billhughes.com/smog.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old July 8th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Steve Foley[_2_]

Bill,

I think (probably wrong) that the Mopar MPFI is 'certified', at least here
in the Peoples Republik of Massachusetts.

Old July 8th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Yes it is, but if you want to pass Kalifornia's SMOG, you'd better
have that certificate in your hot little hands. Out here it's the VIN
number they run with.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 8th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Steve Foley[_2_]

Do they ever stop smog testing out there? It used to be a 15 year old
vehicle didn't need the smog test, but now they've locked it at 1984 and
newer.

That's why I'm using the parts from my 87 YJ to rebuild an 83 CJ.

Old July 8th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

They've modified SMOG laws a couple of times here in Kalifornia,
but this last time they stop it letting people like me that like old
cars at '76 and older, so this high performance tunnel port 429 engine
pictured in front of my '78 Bronco will never meet:
http://www.billhughes.com/429ford.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/429.jpg

Old July 9th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

We have unannounced highway SMOG check points, just your dui
checks.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/