Still got wiper probs on '98 E39

Old January 3rd 05, 05:16 PM
Scott

Default Still got wiper probs on '98 E39

Still got problems with these bloody wipers...

Changed the relay K11 (only one relay on '98 model, not 2 as in earlier
models) - is this the only relay in the wiper circuit ?

Checked the wiper mechanism and it seems OK, moved freely manually.

Checked voltage on wiper motor, only getting 2.6v across Brown and
Brown/Black. Strangely still get this when the key is out of ignition.
Should you get full 12v to operate motor. Does the 12v get switched directly
from K11 relay ?

Symptom now is either wiper don't operate, or they will operate temporarily
( couple of seconds) with a juddering motion.

Model is 1998 E39 523SE

Old January 4th 05, 02:51 AM
Michael Low

Scott wrote:
> Still got problems with these bloody wipers...
>
> Changed the relay K11 (only one relay on '98 model, not 2 as in

earlier
> models) - is this the only relay in the wiper circuit ?

My diagram shows Stage I and Stage II relays but the K11 may
incorporate both sets of circuits in one unit.

> Checked the wiper mechanism and it seems OK, moved freely manually.
>
> Checked voltage on wiper motor, only getting 2.6v across Brown and
> Brown/Black. Strangely still get this when the key is out of

ignition.
> Should you get full 12v to operate motor. Does the 12v get switched

directly
> from K11 relay ?

The constant power comes from "KL 30 battery bus" to Stage I relay. I
don't know how the KL 30 works but if it's a common bus perhaps it
should be 12v.

The K11 gets power (via the KL 30?) from a 30A fuse (F1) along a
Red/White 2.5 sq. mm wire that is in turn connected to the 80A F110
fuse (somewhere in or behind Fuse Panel 1, glove compartment). The
same F110 fuse apparently powers F1 through F5. You want to check F1
in Panel 1 and make sure it's correct (and supplying 12v?).

The Black/Brown (pin 3) on the K11 is for fast speed but there is also
a Black/Green (pin 2) for slow speed. The Brown wire goes from the K11
to ground. I would look for and check the Black/Green as well and
maybe set wiper at different speeds during test. Both the Black/Brown
and the Black/Green originate from K11 (pins 6 and 4 respectively) and
are of similar gauge 2.5 sq mm wire.

1998 E39 Wiper problems Scott BMW 7 January 1st 05 11:49 PM
Windshield wiper not working Ulf BMW 4 December 21st 04 12:50 PM
'87 325is (US) Passenger-Side Wiper Quit Nobody BMW 3 November 24th 04 06:35 PM
Wanted! wiper arm for 1997 146 Chris Alfa Romeo 0 October 28th 04 10:08 AM
Help turning off wiper fluid indicator light (2001 330i) sycle BMW 2 October 23rd 04 06:57 PM